South Hampton to Hampton Court Palace

Our British Isles cruise will make a stop in South Hampton next June. I'm thinking of taking the train from the port to Hampton Court Palace. It appears to be pretty simple to do & not too costly. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have other ideas about getting from port to palace & back to port? Any input or info is much appreciated.

Our British Isles cruise will make a stop in South Hampton next June. I'm thinking of taking the train from the port to Hampton Court Palace. It appears to be pretty simple to do & not too costly. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have other ideas about getting from port to palace & back to port? Any input or info is much appreciated.

OK well to begin with you need to know the train station and port to start from is actually Southampton.

And its nowhere near Hampton Court which is on the edge of London.

You can take a taxi to Southampton Central, a train to Clapham Junction , and change trains there for a train to Hampton Court.

There are trains with one change which take just over 2 hours each way, and trains with 2 or 3 changes which take 3 hours or more.

trainline.com will give you the information.

So if you go both ways on the train that will be AT LEAST about 6 hours travel round trip allowing for taxis and waiting around. If nothing goes wrong.

Doesn't seem like much time for touring the Palace and getting back in time to catch the ship before it leaves.

You didn't say how long the ship is in port at Southampton, if its overnight then you will have no problem.

It would be a bit rushed. You would not have time to see much when you get there.

There is a minimum of one change of trains.

https://www.buytickets.virgintrains.co.uk/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable

But, if you are staying in London, I highly recommend this. I found it here, and tried it. It was a great day.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46642954&highlight=expat+brit#post46642954

Thanks for the info. everyone. I may rethink the whole plan & do something else that day. I can see the palace another time. We're in port for just the day. We depart at 5 pm so will need to be back on board by 4. That really is not enough time. I just didn't think it through. Thanks again. I very much appreciate the input.

Bob's options are good. If you want another one you can easily do a day trip to Salisbury (about 30mins on the train). You can do Stonehenge if you want to (I wouldn't!), but the main draw would be Salisbury cathedral. Tallest spire in the UK, an original of the Magna Carta and the worlds oldest mechanical clock all in a beautiful building. Have a google.

Simon

If you want to go further, then Portsmouth for the Historic Dockyard or Winchester for the Cathedral and shops. Both easy to reach by train.

https://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/site-attractions/attractions/hms-victory

http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/

Winchester is also easily reached non-stop via National Express bus from Southampton. Round trip costs about £6 each way and it takes 40 min. We always have taken the bus between Southampton and Heathrow and Winchester is a regular stop on that route (it stops practically right next to the Cathedral). Go to http://nationalexpress.com for schedule info. The bus station in Southampton is on Harbor Parade, just south of Western Esplanade. Some buses are non-stop while others stop at the U of Southampton (on the north side of town). I also agree with a previous poster that Southampton is an interesting place to walk around--lots of historic structures, the office from whence the Titanic left, etc.

Perhaps there was confusion over proximity of the palace to the port caused by the not uncommon on this board use of South Hampton for Southampton.

The derivation is correct, of course, but different Hamptons, which in old English would just mean something like homestead (the two parts of the word are where home and town have come down from).

On a similar theme, Southampton and Northampton are two different towns, over 100 miles apart [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a similar theme, Southampton and Northampton are two different towns, over 100 miles apart [emoji846]

I live 8 miles outside Northampton and it takes me 2hrs 15mins to get to Southampton for a cruise...and I'm not usually hanging about!

Simon