Most convenient US port to sail out of

Funbobby68

It depends. I thought Galveston was convenient because we can drive there from home. Any other port, we have to fly to. My parents are in NY and they like sailing from the NY and NJ ports since it’s a quick drive.

We live near Austin. Haven't even decided where when or how. Just starting to research. Both of us are over 60.

Any suggestions are appreciated! ty

We live near Austin. Haven't even decided where when or how. Just starting to research. Both of us are over 60.

Any suggestions are appreciated! ty

In my experience Galveston is a great port to sail from parking close , and inexpensive , and embarkation was quick and easy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For FLL, throw in the nearby shops if you need anything for the cruise. Within walking distance of the port are Publix (grocery store) and Total Wines & More.

That seals it for me. I like sailing out of Manhattan as well, Amtrak into Penn Station and a quick Uber to the port. Great view down the Hudson along Manhattan, Statue of Liberty, Verrazano bridge. Big downside is that it mandates two sea days to go south with not-so-great weather.

I love San Francisco and yes the port could not be more centrally located to attractions, will be sailing there next month on Explorer with overnight stay

And we assume those "attractions" include syringes, human poop, urine smell, being harassed by many homeless, etc. Have to love the Bay area :). The locals are even thoughtful enough to have a web site with an up-to-date map of the sidewalks with human poop.

Hank

And we assume those "attractions" include syringes, human poop, urine smell, being harassed by many homeless, etc. Have to love the Bay area :). The locals are even thoughtful enough to have a web site with an up-to-date map of the sidewalks with human poop.

Hank

To quote what you wrote on the balcony door thread: "You are obvious having fun being a troll on this issue."

Hank, if that is what you go on vacations to search for, sure, you might find that if you poke around enough - just like any large city in the world. Me, I prefer to look for the good things in places I go to. But, to each their own.

Even your area is not immune to such problems, so I wouldn't be so quick to make snarky comments about other cities:

:

Harrisburg homelessness a “chronic problem”; Downtown ‘Tent City’ demolished May 1 https://fox43.com/2017/04/14/harrisburg-homelessness-a-chronic-problem-downtown-tent-city-demolished-may-1/

Since New Cumberland is just 15 minutes away from Harrisburg, your area experiences the same problems you ridicule San Francisco about - but without the benefits of being a beautiful and exciting world class city to visit.

Edited by sloopsailor

Have cruised out of most of the US Ports and we live in New Jersey. I have to say our favorite and most easy in and our is Port Canaveral. Also a nice view cruising up the causeway to the ocean.

we are cruising out of New Jersey in May 2019. Any suggestions for a one night stay at hotel near port and ewr airpot?

After all the advice we are now booked sailing out of Fort Lauderdale , next topic .... hotel advise ,looking at the riverside ?

Thanks for the info on the ports

Check out the Florida Departures Board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495. FLL hotels are discussed there just about daily.