Most convenient US port to sail out of

Funbobby68

San Francisco is pretty nice, Tampa too. What you are missing is that to a certain extent the cruise port determines the cruise. You will only find Southern Caribbean cruises out of certain ports and if ports are not important at all you should look at a TransAtlantic and those only leave from a few ports.

We live about 100 miles from Tampa and 140 miles from Port Canaveral. Since we've been on over 40 cruises, have taken all the excursions and are no longer able to snorkel, destinations are not important to us, so for the past 5 years or so, we have limited our cruising to those two ports (with one exception - to go to Bermuda we had to sail out of Fort Lauderdale).

Tampa was our first choice - valet parking is convenient and we love the Radiance class ships. However, we have noticed that the traffic around the Tampa port has gotten so bad in the last couple of years that we're learning to love the Oasis. We have 3 more cruises booked on her before she leaves Port Canaveral and then our first one booked on Harmony. Because we really love the Brilliance, we have booked one more on her but are thinking of using a limo company to go from Ocala to Tampa.

Although it's annoying, I guess it's progress. We started out in the Ocala - Silver Springs area as snowbirds from Illinois for 10 years. I know it can't really be true, but every fall when we got back to Florida it seemed the traffic had doubled.

Someone else mentioned the possibility of seeing a launch at Cape Canaveral. We were fortunate enough to watch one from front-row seats in the Windjammer, and it is awesome - a definite plus!

Happy Cruising!

Margy

Landings are cool, and much closer to the channel

5c8a926053e68f0d5966ad81e0cadcf4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Can't beat San Diego. No drive to the seaport if you stay downtown. Ten minutes from airport to cruise port. Not a "working" port, but a cruise port. It can't beat Vancouver, but then again what can? More hotels and restaurants within ten minutes of the cruise ship that any place I have sailed from. Plus, can't even name all the attractions and theme parks within 20 minutes. Oh, did I mention the best year round weather in the US? Best of all the fighter jets taking off at dusk from North Island with after burners.

Can't beat San Diego. No drive to the seaport if you stay downtown. Ten minutes from airport to cruise port. Not a "working" port, but a cruise port. It can't beat Vancouver, but then again what can? More hotels and restaurants within ten minutes of the cruise ship that any place I have sailed from. Plus, can't even name all the attractions and theme parks within 20 minutes. Oh, did I mention the best year round weather in the US? Best of all the fighter jets taking off at dusk from North Island with after burners.
Shame that Royal doesn't sail from there. They have a long way to go to become a major cruise port.

I was there last August and it was hazy all week. Never got a good sunset.

Agree 100%. San Diego is a great port. When RCI was on the West Coast we embarked there and/or it was a port stop. Easy and close to lots of things to do.

We’ve sailed from Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa and New Orleans but Port Canaveral is our favorite port to sail out of. Hotels are much cheaper, especially if you stay on the airport side of Orlando and drive less than an hour to the port. Also love the convenience of Park n’ Cruise.

Have cruised out of most of the US Ports and we live in New Jersey. I have to say our favorite and most easy in and our is Port Canaveral. Also a nice view cruising up the causeway to the ocean.

I avoided Port Canaveral for years because of its distance from a major airport since I fly in to most cruises, but I really do enjoy the port and port area.

Shame that Royal doesn't sail from there. They have a long way to go to become a major cruise port.

Actually they do sail from there, check the schedule. I agree if they didn't charge so much in port fees compared to LA area they might see more cruise activity.

Actually they do sail from there, check the schedule. I agree if they didn't charge so much in port fees compared to LA area they might see more cruise activity.
Twice a year really doesn't count. LA doesn't get much traffic from Royal either.

Its all relative to these posters and where they live.

But for you from being Canada and wanting to change it up , just go to some port you have not been out of !

Try Going out of Quebec City on repositioning to Ft Lauderdale !

Bayonne. 25 minutes from my house and 20 minutes to airport.

We are sailing out of Bayonne for the first time next month. Sounds like you have experience. What’s the best way to get from Newark airport to the pier?

We are sailing out of Bayonne for the first time next month. Sounds like you have experience. What’s the best way to get from Newark airport to the pier?

Car service, Uber, Lyft, taxi.

San Juan, Puerto Rico.

We try to take a cruise every time we go there to visit relatives. And, by a WIDE margin, it's where we've taken the most cruises out of.

When you have to fly to a port, it does not matter what city it is in. Which also means we likely will not do Galveston again, and we avoid Port Canaveral, for the most part.

In terms of the best of the best airport access (if you fly in that day), Port Everglades.

View from pre-hotels- I know people love to see the ocean, but the view of Manhattan from Jersey City is tough to beat.

San Juan, Puerto Rico.

We try to take a cruise every time we go there to visit relatives. And, by a WIDE margin, it's where we've taken the most cruises out of.

When you have to fly to a port, it does not matter what city it is in. Which also means we likely will not do Galveston again, and we avoid Port Canaveral, for the most part.

In terms of the best of the best airport access (if you fly in that day), Port Everglades.

View from pre-hotels- I know people love to see the ocean, but the view of Manhattan from Jersey City is tough to beat.

From Biker, Quantum TAeb5df12ee898867efa6bd11faa1719a5.jpg