Internet access dangers

Seestor1

To the OP, I'm sorry that your son has epilepsy. I'd suggest you take a step back and analyze the situation from a higher level, and decide if a cruise is right for you. Seizures most certainly need immediate medical attention, and in my estimation, you're not going to be in a position to provide that, nor immediate decision-making either.

I am going to disagree here. I had a parent who was chronically ill for 20 years. I wasn't going to stop living even though I took care of her. Her son will have epilepsy for the rest of his life. She needs to be able to do things and shouldn't have to stay home forever. I lined up people to check in on my parent. I dragged her with me at times on trips. I made in a point to check in daily - yes, I had high phone bills at times and high internet charges. I didn't go as far away as I can now but still made it to Europe a few times and Asia due to people around me helping me. I did go to Alaska many times with her being ill.

This isn't a transient condition and she just has to stop traveling for 3 months when he is ill. Even on land trips - one can't easily get somewhere on a short notice. My Mom was hospitalized across the country once over Memorial weekend. For the life of me, I could not fly out there due to flights being full. I just had to work with what I had and speak with the hospital from a far and then when she was better, she flew home. You do the best you can given the situation - that is all one can do.

OP - I know you will find a way to stay in touch and still enjoy your vacation. You need this as having a family member with a medical condition is stressful. I wish you the best for your trip! I hope in the end, he is fine that week and you can relax and enjoy Alaska.

If there is a decision-maker and caregiver at home, and the only issue is communications, I would put my phone in airplane mode the entire trip. Maybe I'd turn the airplane mode off when in US ports, but if you take the railroad trip into Canada, you have to turn airplane mode back on.

I would go to the ship's internet center and check my emails 3 or 4 times each day, just for reassurance. [The internet on Princess in Alaska is incredibly slow -- think back to the days of 360 baud modems!!]

Leave the ship-to-shore emergency calling information with the caregiver just in case of need. I used to do this in the days before ship internet.

At one point, I considered commenting on whether a cruise was a good choice, but realized that we don't know enough about the situation these individuals are dealing with. The son could be a 40 year old adult with a wife and kids! It could be that OP just needs communication, but is leaving the son with totally appropriate care and someone qualified and experienced to deal with whatever may or may not happen.

My mother has a "thing" about me being out of touch, despite the fact that I'm nearing retirement age! She once tried to pull a guilt trip on me--"What happens if your father dies while you are gone?" I suggested that she bury him. I am also one who does not choose to stop my life based on the needs of relatives IF I can provide what is needed thru other sources.

Enjoy your trip...and hope all stays stable at home.

OP - in case you haven't located the Ruby Princess emergency number yet, it is 764 877 443 and the fax number is 764 877 445. This is from a section of the Frequently Asked Questions entitled "Keeping in Touch" (https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/in_touch.jsp).

We were on the same ship and itinerary the first week in July. I hope your cruise is just as wonderful!

Thank you so much, but those numbers are preceded by: "For calls originating outside of the US and Canada, the following numbers should be used" My son is in Washington. However, that is the same info someone at Princess gave me. I called it tonight and did, indeed, get the Ruby Princess, However the reception was so poor that I could hear nothing besides "Ruby Princess". I'm really banking on not having to use it!

To the OP, I'm sorry that your son has epilepsy. I'd suggest you take a step back and analyze the situation from a higher level, and decide if a cruise is right for you. Seizures most certainly need immediate medical attention, and in my estimation, you're not going to be in a position to provide that, nor immediate decision-making either. You're not going to be able to leave the ship on a whim; if YOU are not having a medical emergency, I highly doubt any helicopter operator would be willing to perform an extraction, and much of Alaska is relatively desolate so the feasibility of a helicopter getting to the ship is only in narrow areas (where you may just end up having to wait for the ship to reach port). Even once it does reach port, if you leave the ship, you're likely going to incur fines for violating some regulations that the cruise lines have to adhere to. Perhaps a more land-based trip would be of the wise here?

Thanks for the input. I believe he will be OK for the 7 days. He is a young adult that has dealt with this for years and has friends around. my job is mostly to lend moral support to those who have not been around him when he has a tonic clonic seizure: "Yes, call 911. Turn him on his side. Move things out of the way so he is in a safe environment. Don't put anything in his mouth." I like to be kept on top of what is happening. I want my best options for calling and getting calls. Again, Thanks.

At one point' date=' I considered commenting on whether a cruise was a good choice, but realized that we don't know enough about the situation these individuals are dealing with. The son could be a 40 year old adult with a wife and kids! It could be that OP just needs communication, but is leaving the son with totally appropriate care and someone qualified and experienced to deal with whatever may or may not happen.

My mother has a "thing" about me being out of touch, despite the fact that I'm nearing retirement age! She once tried to pull a guilt trip on me--"What happens if your father dies while you are gone?" I suggested that she bury him. I am also one who does not choose to stop my life based on the needs of relatives IF I can provide what is needed thru other sources.

Enjoy your trip...and hope all stays stable at home.[/quote']

** You read the question surprisingly well. I believe he will be OK for the 7 days. He is a young adult that has dealt with this for years and has friends around. My job is mostly to lend moral support to those who have not been around him when he has a tonic clonic seizure: "Yes, call 911. Turn him on his side. Move things out of the way so he is in a safe environment. Don't put anything in his mouth." I like to be kept on top of what is happening. I want my best options for calling and getting calls. Again, Thanks.

If there is a decision-maker and caregiver at home, and the only issue is communications, I would put my phone in airplane mode the entire trip. Maybe I'd turn the airplane mode off when in US ports, but if you take the railroad trip into Canada, you have to turn airplane mode back on.

I would go to the ship's internet center and check my emails 3 or 4 times each day, just for reassurance. [The internet on Princess in Alaska is incredibly slow -- think back to the days of 360 baud modems!!]

Leave the ship-to-shore emergency calling information with the caregiver just in case of need. I used to do this in the days before ship internet.

Thanks! Good feedback! Will follow your suggestions. And hopefully, and believe I will, relax!

I am going to disagree here. I had a parent who was chronically ill for 20 years. I wasn't going to stop living even though I took care of her. Her son will have epilepsy for the rest of his life. She needs to be able to do things and shouldn't have to stay home forever. I lined up people to check in on my parent. I dragged her with me at times on trips. I made in a point to check in daily - yes, I had high phone bills at times and high internet charges. I didn't go as far away as I can now but still made it to Europe a few times and Asia due to people around me helping me. I did go to Alaska many times with her being ill.

This isn't a transient condition and she just has to stop traveling for 3 months when he is ill. Even on land trips - one can't easily get somewhere on a short notice. My Mom was hospitalized across the country once over Memorial weekend. For the life of me, I could not fly out there due to flights being full. I just had to work with what I had and speak with the hospital from a far and then when she was better, she flew home. You do the best you can given the situation - that is all one can do.

OP - I know you will find a way to stay in touch and still enjoy your vacation. You need this as having a family member with a medical condition is stressful. I wish you the best for your trip! I hope in the end, he is fine that week and you can relax and enjoy Alaska.

Your message actually brought tears to my eyes. I was beginning to doubt whether going was a good idea. But you are correct, this is a chronic condition that is not well controlled, but he has his friends. I want to be able to keep in touch (as economically as possible) but primarily just keep in touch. Thank you for the well wishes!!!

Thank you so much, but those numbers are preceded by: "For calls originating outside of the US and Canada, the following numbers should be used" My son is in Washington. However, that is the same info someone at Princess gave me. I called it tonight and did, indeed, get the Ruby Princess, However the reception was so poor that I could hear nothing besides "Ruby Princess". I'm really banking on not having to use it!

Those are the numbers for calls from the US and Canada. But in case folks from other countries are reading this thread, for calls originating from other countries "the following numbers (those in the original post) should be used, preceded by your country's International Direct Dialing (IDD) code and the global ocean code 870." In other words, those callers need to place additional numbers in front of the numbers in the chart.

I too hope you won't need to be called and that you have a fantastic cruise!

Those are the numbers for calls from the US and Canada. But in case folks from other countries are reading this thread, for calls originating from other countries "the following numbers (those in the original post) should be used, preceded by your country's International Direct Dialing (IDD) code and the global ocean code 870." In other words, those callers need to place additional numbers in front of the numbers in the chart.

I too hope you won't need to be called and that you have a fantastic cruise!

Thank you, again!

OP, I can totally understand what you are going through as one of my 2 sons has Epilepsy that came on while in college. He is now 28. I was actually on the phone with him a few years ago while he had a seizure the night before I was going on a cruise. I heard silence and just knew what was going on. He was in my house in Naples while I was in my place in Miami. Had a neighbor run across the street to check on him. He was confused as they are after a seizure, but fine. Seizures are a terrifying thing to witness in your own child and it always takes me a while to get the picture out of my head.

He now lives over in his own place in our building, not married so I always still worry when we are away.

Like Coral said, I can't put my life on hold as this is something he will always have. He has had the seizures under control the last few years but 2 1/2 years ago he had a major injury the required surgery after a seizure.

Every time he calls me during his work day, the first words out of his mouth are "mom I'm okay, calling for a reason" just because he knows I always think the worst when it's an off time for a call.

I cruise frequently. I text him all the time while on a cruise and also keep in touch via Facebook messenger and emails daily. I also have family members and friends always check on him. Friends and work colleagues know that we are gone. I have run up bills while cruising with ATT but I know going in that is what may happen. I turn off data roaming, don't have any information "push" through and have everything set on fetch. His texts always come through. I don't pay for the incoming texts, just the outgoing texts at 50 cents per.

I am sorry to hear your son has the same disability. Hopefully once you find the right combination of drugs, he will get the seizures under control. And one of my son's friends can tell you he agrees with you about not putting anything in his mouth during a seizure. He made the awful mistake of putting his fingers into my son's mouth, bad move.

Go on your cruise but make sure others know you are gone. Give your email address to everyone so that if anything happens you can be there for moral support. FaceTime or Duo works so at least you can do that as well.

Hope you are able to go and enjoy yourself!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

OP, I can totally understand what you are going through as one of my 2 sons has Epilepsy that came on while in college. He is now 28. I was actually on the phone with him a few years ago while he had a seizure the night before I was going on a cruise. I heard silence and just knew what was going on. He was in my house in Naples while I was in my place in Miami. Had a neighbor run across the street to check on him. He was confused as they are after a seizure, but fine. Seizures are a terrifying thing to witness in your own child and it always takes me a while to get the picture out of my head.

He now lives over in his own place in our building, not married so I always still worry when we are away.

Like Coral said, I can't put my life on hold as this is something he will always have. He has had the seizures under control the last few years but 2 1/2 years ago he had a major injury the required surgery after a seizure.

Every time he calls me during his work day, the first words out of his mouth are "mom I'm okay, calling for a reason" just because he knows I always think the worst when it's an off time for a call.

I cruise frequently. I text him all the time while on a cruise and also keep in touch via Facebook messenger and emails daily. I also have family members and friends always check on him. Friends and work colleagues know that we are gone. I have run up bills while cruising with ATT but I know going in that is what may happen. I turn off data roaming, don't have any information "push" through and have everything set on fetch. His texts always come through. I don't pay for the incoming texts, just the outgoing texts at 50 cents per.

I am sorry to hear your son has the same disability. Hopefully once you find the right combination of drugs, he will get the seizures under control. And one of my son's friends can tell you he agrees with you about not putting anything in his mouth during a seizure. He made the awful mistake of putting his fingers into my son's mouth, bad move.

Go on your cruise but make sure others know you are gone. Give your email address to everyone so that if anything happens you can be there for moral support. FaceTime or Duo works so at least you can do that as well.

Hope you are able to go and enjoy yourself!

Thank you SO much... your son sounds so much like mine. His first seizure was as 31. 7 years ago. Unfortunately, he has tried all the classification of meds ( on 5 different ones now). He had unsuccessful laser brain surgery in January and is looking at major brain surgery in the near future. They may take 1/4 of his brain, but probably will just lose some short term memory. Pray for the best :halo::halo:🤕:halo::halo::halo:😇

Seestor1 - we are all wishing him the best!

Remember that you, as a caregiver, need to take care of yourself as well. If you don't - you will not be able to help your son when he needs it.

I needed breaks "from reality" to recharge myself even if I was still checking in daily while away and still "on call". It is ok for you to do this also! You should not feel guilty for wanting this for yourself. I am sure your son doesn't want you to miss this trip either.

I agree with someone else who posted - have his friends check on him and give them your contact info. I am sure they understand.

Enjoy Alaska. It is peaceful and gorgeous!

Seestor1 - we are all wishing him the best!

Remember that you, as a caregiver, need to take care of yourself as well. If you don't - you will not be able to help your son when he needs it.

I needed breaks "from reality" to recharge myself even if I was still checking in daily while away and still "on call". It is ok for you to do this also! You should not feel guilty for wanting this for yourself. I am sure your son doesn't want you to miss this trip either.

I agree with someone else who posted - have his friends check on him and give them your contact info. I am sure they understand.

Enjoy Alaska. It is peaceful and gorgeous!

Thank you so much. I really had no idea how much I needed these pep talks!

If you leave Airplane mode off, your phone will be constantly searching for a cell tower which is one of the most battery-consuming things a cell phone does. When you are inside the ship at sea (or even on a balcony) your phone will not be able to "see" the ship's cell tower - - but it will keep searching. Expect your phone to get very warm and the battery to not last very long.