Internet access dangers

Seestor1

You can e-mail him while you are in airplane mode. I don't know if you can text from it.

Any time you hop off airplane mode' date=' you risk starting an automatic download or app that might cost you money...we put our devices on airplane mode when we board the ship and leave them there. But, as you are visiting 3 US ports, you can use your phone in port on those days just as if you are at home. Just check first to be sure you don't have that little "roaming" icon.

On the days you are not in a US port, you can agree in advance that you'll e-mail each other once in the morning, afternoon, and evening. It should only take you a couple minutes to log on, read his e-mail, and reply.[/quote']

Cell phone connection is sketchy in Skagway. I here it is better down by the docks and not as good as you go up into town.

I have used Skype while on a cruise to call home in an emergency. There might be some limitations on that now, you will need to check before depending on it. In my case I was buying minutes and calling land lines.

Correct--you can log on to read e-mail while in airplane mode. You will only be billed for the minutes you are logged in; just be sure to log out afterwards. If you are skittish about it' date=' you can go to the internet cafe and use one of their computers to log on. Then nothing is going on with your phone at all. Just stick to airplane mode and nothing bad will happen.[/quote']

Oh thank you so much... i was getting really nervous about this trip... thanks

I found this info on Verizon webpage - https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/summary - uses ship cell tower.

More Verizon information can be found at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-services/while-outside-the-us/

Princess Ruby Princess

International Pay As You Go

• Pay only when you use your device.

Only pay for what you use on your international trip. Use Wi-Fi where available.

Princess Ruby Princess

$2.99/minute

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

I found this info on Verizon webpage - https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/summary - uses ship cell tower.

More Verizon information can be found at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-services/while-outside-the-us/

Princess Ruby Princess

International Pay As You Go

• Pay only when you use your device.

Only pay for what you use on your international trip. Use Wi-Fi where available.

Princess Ruby Princess

$2.99/minute

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

that's the same schedule I found on Verizon.. thank you so much!

Janis

We just switched carriers but cruised with Verizon for several years. I would turn off data roaming, but leave my phone on most of the time so our son could text if he needed to get in touch. If a call came in I simply would not answer it. However, I had some situations in which he would send a text, but I wouldn't get it for some reason until I hooked up to wifi and got it via iMessage. There is some good information here, but I would strongly suggest you have a conversation with Verizon.

We just switched carriers but cruised with Verizon for several years. I would turn off data roaming, but leave my phone on most of the time so our son could text if he needed to get in touch. If a call came in I simply would not answer it. However, I had some situations in which he would send a text, but I wouldn't get it for some reason until I hooked up to wifi and got it via iMessage. There is some good information here, but I would strongly suggest you have a conversation with Verizon.

OMG I've called them 3 times... always different answers. Yes coverage, no coverage. Yes text, no text... different rates: OK US, Not Canada, OK Canada. It's been hard... but I think I am overstressing... He will be fine for just one week (yn)

Airplane mode turns off all antenna in a cell phone. This means the phone cannot communicate at all.

Not any more. Apple iOS 11 keeps the Wifi and Bluetooth on in airplane mode, only cellular and GPS are turned off by default. Even using the convenient control panel, Wifi is only disabled temporarily and locally, and Bluetooth only disables non-Apple gadgets. You'd have to dig deeper in settings menus to truly disable these things.

Unfortunately Verizon has the worst coverage in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan :( Anybody use Verizon in those ports?

Verizon worked great for us in all of those ports.

BTW, depending on your phones capabilities, Verizon has a way to use the Internet for making phone calls. Check with your local Verizon store.

Not any more. Apple iOS 11 keeps the Wifi and Bluetooth on in airplane mode, only cellular and GPS are turned off by default. Even using the convenient control panel, Wifi is only disabled temporarily and locally, and Bluetooth only disables non-Apple gadgets. You'd have to dig deeper in settings menus to truly disable these things.

Whoa...that's all beyond my ken ! I have a Galaxy s9 plus as does my son (great upgrade from s5).

Verizon worked great for us in all of those ports.

BTW, depending on your phones capabilities, Verizon has a way to use the Internet for making phone calls. Check with your local Verizon store.

Oh ya...forgot about that...

Any time you hop off airplane mode' date=' you risk starting an automatic download or app that might cost you money...we put our devices on airplane mode when we board the ship and leave them there. [/quote']

I also turn of "auto update", so if I go online with my tablet or phone it doesn't start trying to grab 27 new and improved apps that I don't need at the moment.

Interesting. I'm a bit surprised as I was under the impression that the FCC did not allow the use of cell phones on aircraft in flight.

It seems that iOS 11 is a bit more complicated in its handling of Airplane Mode, https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/airplane-mode-ios-11/.

Whoa...that's all beyond my ken ! I have a Galaxy s9 plus as does my son (great upgrade from s5).

Then you don't have to worry. The Galaxy S9 is an Android phone.

Edited by broberts

Unfortunately Verizon has the worst coverage in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan :( Anybody use Verizon in those ports?

I have Verizon and was able to use my phone at port w/o any noticeable issues. My husband with TMobile wasn't even able to use his phone until he got back to SF (not ever sure why).

Of course now I'm a little concerned that roaming was on because at some point, I saw something like "voice roaming only."

I've used Verizon in these ports (under a different carrier name but same). I never had problems.

Wow..that's a lot to absorb. Can I jump off Airplane Mode a couple times a day and text message him, and get a text back... would that use up much of my internet package?

Text is phone data not internet, that means using the ships cellular system, not internet.

OMG I've called them 3 times... always different answers. Yes coverage, no coverage. Yes text, no text... different rates: OK US, Not Canada, OK Canada. It's been hard... but I think I am overstressing... He will be fine for just one week (yn)

Have you tried using their Chat function? I found it worked well and you can get an email documenting the discussion.

OP - in case you haven't located the Ruby Princess emergency number yet, it is 764 877 443 and the fax number is 764 877 445. This is from a section of the Frequently Asked Questions entitled "Keeping in Touch" (https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/in_touch.jsp).

We were on the same ship and itinerary the first week in July. I hope your cruise is just as wonderful!

don't want to read all posts

Our experience...

We just returned from Alaska in May...did get charges billed to our cell phone for text use on the ship they were 5 or 6 dollars a minute.

Billed as AT&T from a Santa Clarita area code and phone number, no called number was showed, just minutes for usage.

Edited by land lover

To the OP, I'm sorry that your son has epilepsy. I'd suggest you take a step back and analyze the situation from a higher level, and decide if a cruise is right for you. Seizures most certainly need immediate medical attention, and in my estimation, you're not going to be in a position to provide that, nor immediate decision-making either. You're not going to be able to leave the ship on a whim; if YOU are not having a medical emergency, I highly doubt any helicopter operator would be willing to perform an extraction, and much of Alaska is relatively desolate so the feasibility of a helicopter getting to the ship is only in narrow areas (where you may just end up having to wait for the ship to reach port). Even once it does reach port, if you leave the ship, you're likely going to incur fines for violating some regulations that the cruise lines have to adhere to. Perhaps a more land-based trip would be of the wise here?

don't want to read all posts

Our experience...

We just returned from Alaska in May...did get charges billed to our cell phone for text use on the ship they were 5 or 6 dollars a minute.

Billed as AT&T from a Santa Clarita area code and phone number, no called number was showed, just minutes for usage.

If all you did was text the charges should have been per text, not per minute. What you were billed sounds like data roaming. If you believe you did not use any data other than texts I would challenge that amount with your carrier.