Newbie questions regarding Alaska and Grand Princess

Cruizen Susan

Hello,

We are new to Princess, cruising mostly Celebrity and NCL. Have always had Princess on our bucket list, and have never been to Alaska. There is an great itinerary next late August 2019 roundtrip from San Francisco for 10 nights.

I have two questions:

1. I see mixed reviews on the Grand, but I don't necessarily go by the reviews, and we don't mind a smaller, older ship, as long as the food and service is good. What are your opinions on Lady Grand?

2. Having never been to Alaska, is August a good month to go? We are nature lovers and want to see as much wildlife as possible.

I appreciate any opinions and any sharing of experience!

Thanks,

Susan

Hello' date='

We are new to Princess, cruising mostly Celebrity and NCL. Have always had Princess on our bucket list, and have never been to Alaska. There is an great itinerary next late August 2019 roundtrip from San Francisco for 10 nights.

I have two questions:

1. I see mixed reviews on the Grand, but I don't necessarily go by the reviews, and we don't mind a smaller, older ship, as long as the food and service is good. What are your opinions on Lady Grand?

2. Having never been to Alaska, is August a good month to go? We are nature lovers and want to see as much wildlife as possible.

I appreciate any opinions and any sharing of experience!

Thanks,

Susan[/quote']

Well...she is getting up there in her years, but always seems to be taken care of.

The staff have always been great, food options are good also.

We've been in May/June and September. The snow was still on some of the mountains in May/June, so the scenery was stunning...we also had great weather.

September was pretty good also.

I would enjoy Alaska no matter what month it was:D

Just finished sailing with the Grand in July. The ship was fine and we did not have any problems. We got lucky and had fabulous weather and no weather. Unfortunately, not too much wild life. Have a great trip.

Just got off yesterday morning. It's an older ship, and it does look that way (dirty grout on tiles, scratches on walls). My massage therapist said it'll be at dry dock next March, so maybe some things will be upgraded. I don't think it's considered a small ship though... an older large ship, all of which is relative.

I've gone once in May (cold, rainy, needed a ski-type jacket), and twice in July (once was cold and rainy, but not as cold as May; last week was WAY sunnier that I could have ever imagined). My guess is that in August, it'd be warmer, but not sure about wildlife sightings. Last week, some saw whales and salmon swimming upstream. Previous July, we saw a black bear cub separated from the mom.:)

We did late August previously--tons of wildlife. We saw a bear walking along the road while we were in a bus, saw a mama bear with cubs "salmon fishing" at Mendenhall glacier, eagles, whales, you name it. Great weather, great scenery.

I do have one question--sailing from San Francisco, you are going to spend many of your days going up the coast of the US, not in Alaska. You do realize that, right?

We did late August previously--tons of wildlife. We saw a bear walking along the road while we were in a bus' date=' saw a mama bear with cubs "salmon fishing" at Mendenhall glacier, eagles, whales, you name it. Great weather, great scenery.

I do have one question--sailing from San Francisco, you are going to spend many of your days going up the coast of the US, not in Alaska. You do realize that, right?[/quote']

Thank you! Yes, I realize there are some sea days going up the coast and we actually love sea days. Especially in an S1 suite!! Otherwise, the 10 day itinerary includes Katchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, and then Victoria, Canada. Also, my husband has never been to San Francisco, so that is why we are choosing that port, so we can visit for a few days before and after. So I hope those ports give us a good introduction to the Alaska experience.

We sail often on the Grand as she does sail out of our home port. And, we cruise up to Alaska at least every other year. Two years ago, we went in August and the seas were so smooth and the weather was so good .... all a surprise as it was forecast to rain each and every day and it just didn't happen. It is hard to predict with absolute certainty as to what you are going to get in terms of weather, though. They've been getting warmer weather up north than we've been getting close to San Francisco. (I am not complaining .... I love this cooler weather..) So, I think August is a good month to go. We usually go in May and Sept, usually with excellent results, once in each of those months, though, really stormy weather. Still ... both times the weather was bad we had awesome cruises.

As far as the Grand, she is old and if you are used to the S Class ships on Celebrity, you may be a bit disappointed with the ship itself. The crew is amazing each and every time I've sailed on her. The food and entertainment has also been very good. We're booked on 3 more sailings on her if that tells you anything. Oh ... and sailing out under the Golden Gate ... priceless!! And the new beds ... yowsa!! Best bed I've ever slept in on any cruiseship!!

My advice, if you like the itinerary ... give her a try!!

We sail often on the Grand as she does sail out of our home port. And, we cruise up to Alaska at least every other year. Two years ago, we went in August and the seas were so smooth and the weather was so good .... all a surprise as it was forecast to rain each and every day and it just didn't happen. It is hard to predict with absolute certainty as to what you are going to get in terms of weather, though. They've been getting warmer weather up north than we've been getting close to San Francisco. (I am not complaining .... I love this cooler weather..) So, I think August is a good month to go. We usually go in May and Sept, usually with excellent results, once in each of those months, though, really stormy weather. Still ... both times the weather was bad we had awesome cruises.

As far as the Grand, she is old and if you are used to the S Class ships on Celebrity, you may be a bit disappointed with the ship itself. The crew is amazing each and every time I've sailed on her. The food and entertainment has also been very good. We're booked on 3 more sailings on her if that tells you anything. Oh ... and sailing out under the Golden Gate ... priceless!! And the new beds ... yowsa!! Best bed I've ever slept in on any cruiseship!!

My advice, if you like the itinerary ... give her a try!!

WONderful response!! Thank you! Yes, we sail the S class Celebrity cruises, but also Old Lady Grandeur of RCI. Any day at sea is a good one, and I'm not snobbish about the condition or age, just want it clean, great food, and good service.

Really helps to hear these positive responses. We are more Caribbean "experts" as we live on the east coast, so was a little nervous.

Happy cruising!

Susan

We've never been on the Grand, but our last cruise on the Caribbean Princess was our first suite experience. This was one of our best cruises ever, and probably had the best food and service we've experienced in the last 15 years. Other than one small cabin problem which was ultimately resolved, the entire cruise was super. No worries about Princess at all. We are far more experienced on another line, but are drifting more toward Princess in the last 5 years--better itineraries, etc.

I'd have no hesitation on any Princess ship.

WONderful response!! Thank you! Yes' date=' we sail the S class Celebrity cruises, but also Old Lady Grandeur of RCI. Any day at sea is a good one, and I'm not snobbish about the condition or age, just want it clean, great food, and good service.

Really helps to hear these positive responses. We are more Caribbean "experts" as we live on the east coast, so was a little nervous.

Happy cruising!

Susan[/quote']

Welcome to our side of the country! We mostly just sail on this coast now to avoid air travel. Great service is the main attraction of the Grand! She doesn't have the WOW factor of the S Class ships but really don't think she will disappoint. And ... just of note, the Crown Grill is so good and not as expensive as the specialty restaurants on Celebrity. Princess also hosts a pub lunch (complimentary) that is very popular on 2 sea days. The second one usually has shrimp and chips ... yummmmy! We usually save one night to have dinner up at the Trident Grill when sailing up in Alaska. It's a little known secret that they serve some really fun things up there on some nights. We wrap up and watch the outdoor movie and order our goodies at the Grill. They had crab cakes one night ... so of course, that's the night we chose to eat outside, especially since it was a movie we wanted to see. They do have blankets out there for use in the evening, too. It will be chilly but not freezing. Always one of my favorite things to do one evening of the cruise.

Alaska is our absolute favorite itinerary and have done it 11 times in the past on both Celebrity (Infinity and Solstice) and Princess (Star and Grand). One other nice thing about the Grand is that she has an indoor pool area. For me, that is a requirement for me for Alaska sailings. There is also a little area out back with comfy cushioned wicker furniture ... one side smoking / one non-smoking. It's sheltered but with windows so find this is a great place to snuggle in and read a good book or take a nap.

Layering will be your dressing technique. Once I didn't use my jacket once but did use an entire tube of sunblock up there. Prepare for both types of weather, though. We always see whales right from the side of the ship. If your itinerary includes Icy Strait Point, there is a tour to grizzly feeding grounds that my brother went on ... he said it was amazing! We saw a grizzly there once, too ... but not so close. So many great and interesting things to do there, please don't hesitate to ask for specifics. We've done pretty much all of the cheaper tours and try to do something different each time we go. We're booked to go again on the Grand up there (#12) in about a month from now so can check into any questions you may have that I can't answer off the bat.

We were on the Grand in July and had a great cruise. Yes, it is an older ship, but she seems to be in fine condition. We had no problems with plumbing or otherwise.

We like the layout of the Grand as it is not too big and doesn't feel crowded.

I must say that we were dissapointed with the food in the Horizon Court (buffet restaurant). It was very repetitive and also a bit bland. Not what we would expect from Princess as we usually like the food.

We love the pizza at Alfredo's! They don't have it on every Princess ship, so we try to pick ships that have it onboard :-).

The seating area on Deck 15 aft (outside of the One5 bar) was our favourite hang-out. One side is smoking and the other side is not, but I must say it is one of the nicest smoking area's I have seen on a ship. And off course the non-smoking side is just as nice :-).

Wonderful to hear the great comments. We’re on her in a couple of weeks to Alaska (possibly the same weeks as the OP is asking about for next year). The last time we visited was in August and we saw an abundance of wildlife - hoping for the same this time too ;).

OP,

We are usually X cruisers, so this is also a first on Grand for us (only one prior cruise with Princess). I will post my views once we have returned if you are interested? The itinerary also appealed to us - leaving from San Francisco - so we are spending a few days prior to the cruise there (we’re also stopping off for a few days in Las Vegas too, therefore, we’ll need those first couple of sea days :D). The flights will be very long for us and no doubt the time difference will hit us hard :eek:. I’m sure it will all be worth it ;).

Question for those that have already sailed on Grand, can you obtain drinks in the specialty restaurants if you have a beverage package, or is it just at certain bars? Is the only exclusion using the mini bar? TIA.

Edited by villauk

Question for those that have already sailed on Grand, can you obtain drinks in the specialty restaurants if you have a beverage package, or is it just at certain bars? Is the only exclusion using the mini bar? TIA.

The rules of the beverage package apply to all ships. You can use the package in the dining rooms, specialty dining, and any bar on the ship. If you are staying in a suite, the mini bar is yours to use--it has nothing to do with whether or not you have the beverage package. The exclusion is drinks priced over $12, and room service. There are very few drinks priced above the package limits.

In our experience, the way beverage packages work on Princess is far superior to the way they are handled on Celebrity. You DO need to familiarize yourself with what is included; there is no "unlimited" beverage package. The PBP limits you to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hours, soda in cans is not included while soda from the gun is, etc. It does include most beverages on the ship, but not all.

The rules of the beverage package apply to all ships. You can use the package in the dining rooms' date=' specialty dining, and any bar on the ship. If you are staying in a suite, the mini bar is yours to use--it has nothing to do with whether or not you have the beverage package. The exclusion is drinks priced over $12, and room service. There are very few drinks priced above the package limits.

In our experience, the way beverage packages work on Princess is far superior to the way they are handled on Celebrity. You DO need to familiarize yourself with what is included; there is no "unlimited" beverage package. The PBP limits you to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hours, soda in cans is not included while soda from the gun is, etc. It does include most beverages on the ship, but not all.[/quote']

Thank you for that. It was the specialty restaurants that I wondered if, in particular, we’re included ;). And it appears they are - wonderful :cool:.

Thank you to everyone!! Well based on this most helpful thread, I just booked the 8/24/19 sailing on the Grand in the S1 Grand Suite!!! So excited to finally cruise from the west coast on a Princess ship! As I had mentioned, our first Alaska cruise, so I'm certain packing will be quite different. Layers of clothing, jackets, probably less dressy than X.

Thanks again and happy cruising!

Susan

Thank you to everyone!! Well based on this most helpful thread' date=' I just booked the 8/24/19 sailing on the Grand in the S1 Grand Suite!!! So excited to finally cruise from the west coast on a Princess ship! As I had mentioned, our first Alaska cruise, so I'm certain packing will be quite different. Layers of clothing, jackets, probably less dressy than X.

Susan[/quote']

We did Alaska on Celebrity. Definitely yes to layers and one layer should be a waterproof piece of outerwear--a jacket or poncho that will keep you dry "in case." That said, we were told we were there for the rainy season and it never rained.

I think it is Alaska that is less dressy, rather than Celebrity. Alaska on Princess vs Alaska on Celebrity were pretty much the same as far as clothing. Japan on Princess and Europe on DCL were more dressy than Alaska on any line. Caribbean on any line is pretty much "anything goes." Obviously this excludes the truly high end lines that do enforce dress codes.

We did Alaska on Celebrity. Definitely yes to layers and one layer should be a waterproof piece of outerwear--a jacket or poncho that will keep you dry "in case." That said' date=' we were told we were there for the rainy season and it never rained.

I think it is Alaska that is less dressy, rather than Celebrity. Alaska on Princess vs Alaska on Celebrity were pretty much the same as far as clothing. Japan on Princess and Europe on DCL were more dressy than Alaska on any line. Caribbean on any line is pretty much "anything goes." Obviously this excludes the truly high end lines that do enforce dress codes.[/quote']

Yes, thanks!! I agree about the Japanese and Europeans dressing up moreso than cruises with mostly Americans. Although on the 2-week or longer X cruises, almost everyone still dresses, not formal, but dressy, even on Caribbean. Love love those Mediterranean vacations! Not adventurous enough yet for the Asian ones!

Edited by Cruisen'Susan
type

. . .

We've been in May/June and September. The snow was still on some of the mountains in May/June, so the scenery was stunning...we also had great weather.

September was pretty good also.

I would enjoy Alaska no matter what month it was:D

But no snow around Glacier Bay when I was there in Sep. Just bare except for the glacier face itself plus it was a gray, wet day (as were other days on the 7-day cruise). This cruise was a retirement gift to my sister so it was quite disappointing knowing how much better it looks in the spring when my husband and I have been there multiple times.

Thank you to everyone!! Well based on this most helpful thread' date=' I just booked the 8/24/19 sailing on the Grand in the S1 Grand Suite!!! So excited to finally cruise from the west coast on a Princess ship! As I had mentioned, our first Alaska cruise, so I'm certain packing will be quite different. Layers of clothing, jackets, probably less dressy than X.

Susan[/quote']

We haven't cruised in the Grand Suite but have been in other aft suites including last year in Alaska. It's amazing to stretch out on the chaise loungers on the balcony and read or sip wine or just enjoy the spectacle of Alaska. Your steward should leave blankets for you but if there aren't any just ask. Also fantastic is to order lunch from the main dining room menu when you're viewing glaciers. Very decadent! Your steward will bring the MDR menus to you every day on request. In the grand suite you should have a dining room table in the suite so if you don't feel like going out to dinner, you can have room service bring it to you even on formal nights. Have done that a couple of times and it's fantastic.

Any time is great for Alaska and in August you should see lots of wildlife. We've been twice in August and will be going again on the Grand next week on the cruise before your's. Enjoy your cruise and your suite!

We haven't cruised in the Grand Suite but have been in other aft suites including last year in Alaska. It's amazing to stretch out on the chaise loungers on the balcony and read or sip wine or just enjoy the spectacle of Alaska. Your steward should leave blankets for you but if there aren't any just ask. Also fantastic is to order lunch from the main dining room menu when you're viewing glaciers. Very decadent! Your steward will bring the MDR menus to you every day on request. In the grand suite you should have a dining room table in the suite so if you don't feel like going out to dinner, you can have room service bring it to you even on formal nights. Have done that a couple of times and it's fantastic.

Any time is great for Alaska and in August you should see lots of wildlife. We've been twice in August and will be going again on the Grand next week on the cruise before your's. Enjoy your cruise and your suite!

Sounds divine, thank you!! I really needed to decide between more suite space or the Aft view. Very difficult decision, because we love aft as well. Went with more square footage, so hope it's the right choice.

One thing to remember is the hours of daylight. In the north the differences in solstices is more extreme. By mid August you have already lost 3 hours of daylight. But it will be warmer. The snow / freezing level will also be higher.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good info, thanks! Sounds like a fair trade off, I don't mind the warmer climate!

We have taken four cruises to AK--three on Princess--and have numbers five and six booked for next year. We have cruised in April, August and September. Twice we have taken the 10-day round-trip out of San Francisco--both times on the Grand Princess and, most recently, last September.

I think the 10-day cruise is awesome. I guarantee that you will see wildlife from the ship. If you don't see whales, eagles and seals, you just aren't trying. If you take certain port excursions, you will see more, and will probably get closer. The only time I've seen bears was Icy Point Strait, which I do not believe you are visiting. As you have already read, many other people have seen bears.

Take binoculars.

One of my favorite aspects about the Grand Princess has been mentioned, previously--Alfredos. This is a no extra charge restaurant off the Piazza on Deck 5. It is open from about noon through the evening. Many people enjoy it for lunch. We like to have one or two dinners per cruise there. I just want to give you a heads up, though, about a few things. They seem to have only one server most of the time. So, service can be a bit slow. This is never a big deal for us, but if you are in a hurry to get to a show or something, keep that in mind. Secondly, the only menu items are various pizzas. They are very good, but you may want a salad or something to round out your meal. So, what we do is walk across the Piazza to the International Cafe, grab one of their salads and walk it back to Alfredos.

You're going to have a great cruise.