Does Carnival really care about or need past cruisers?

Mikel1733

We have been researching for our next cruise the past several weeks and I came to realize I haven't heard from Carnival for 3 years. I get almost daily emails and snail mail mailing from NCL, Holland America, Princess, and to a lesser degree Royal Caribbean. And occasional emails from several others we haven't sailed with. But absolutely no emails, phone calls, or mailings from Carnival. I would think if you have sailed with Carnival 15 times in previous years you might be on some list? Evidently business is really good.

I think they do on both counts.

But, I have had the same experience with emails...never received one from Carnival. After my husband and I got married and started cruising together, I put my email address in for his account. Every once in a while he gets a promo mailer addressed to him. Also, he us the only one to receive a post cruise survey, even though I am the main person booking.

I get emails from carnival on just about a weekly schedule. I also receive quite a few calls from my vacation planner, always telling me about the current deals and If I am ready to book. So yes I belive they do, 6-7 calls a year and over 50 emails is alot for someone who is only booking their 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th cruises now.

There's lots of sciences going on in marketing. For example, what period of time they consider a customer to be "lapsed" and a lost cause for going after. Some businesses may even specifically ignore the customers they don't want back.

Carnival definitely wants that repeat business, they all do. However, some customer overestimate how valuable they think their loyalty is.

We frequently get email and the occasional phone call. You might want to make sure your account info and settings are up to date. As far as needing last cruiser, I'm sure they feel our money is just as good as anyone's

There's lots of sciences going on in marketing. For example, what period of time they consider a customer to be "lapsed" and a lost cause for going after. Some businesses may even specifically ignore the customers they don't want back.

Carnival definitely wants that repeat business, they all do. However, some customer overestimate how valuable they think their loyalty is.

Well every cruiser is probably more valuable than a "no cost to the company" email.

OP.. it's probably in your settings. I get a minimum of two emails a month from them.

I used to get a phone call every time I logged into their website but that has stopped:)

It's been nearly five years since our last CCL trip.

The one that amazes me is Oceania, I get zillions of nice glossy catalogs in the mail but I've never sailed with them, can't afford them!

We get e-mails quite often. About every three months, we'll get snail mail offers. The funny part is that when we get them, we aren't ready for a cruise. We'll finally book a cruise, then all of the great offers start coming in almost weekly. Since we booked our next cruise, we've been offered several Premier cruises which can't be applied to the one we already have booked.

DW's e-mail address is listed in her info and so is mine. We both get the same offers yet they are both sent to my e-mail address. I never understood that one.

This is exactly right! I mean sure, they want your business but based on the perks of your VIFP it's apparent that all they do is throw you a bone for your loyalty. They really don't care if you're a first timer or diamond. However, Those who are diamond or platinum think they matter more than they actually do. We travel multiple lines and rotate every year and are loyal to no one. Carnival more than likely has the most new cruisers and that is their target. Those who have been on Carnival several times, well, they know they already have you wrapped around their finger. No cruisers to them are more important than regular cruises in my opinion. Edited by tallnthensome

We have been researching for our next cruise the past several weeks and I came to realize I haven't heard from Carnival for 3 years. I get almost daily emails and snail mail mailing from NCL, Holland America, Princess, and to a lesser degree Royal Caribbean. And occasional emails from several others we haven't sailed with. But absolutely no emails, phone calls, or mailings from Carnival. I would think if you have sailed with Carnival 15 times in previous years you might be on some list? Evidently business is really good.

Quite honestly, I'd be okay with not getting frequent advertisements in the mail, in our email, or unsolicited phone calls. When we're ready to book our next cruise, we contact our PVP. I don't need Carnival or any other cruise line begging us to book a cruise.

We get e-mails quite often. About every three months, we'll get snail mail offers. The funny part is that when we get them, we aren't ready for a cruise. We'll finally book a cruise, then all of the great offers start coming in almost weekly.

Same here. Great deal on a cruise if we book by yesterday and sail by last week. Just once I'd like one of these offers where I have a few months to prepare.

Quite honestly, I'd be okay with not getting frequent advertisements the mail, in our email, or unsolicited phone calls. When we're ready to book our next cruise, we contact our PVP. I don't need Carnival or any other cruise line begging us to book a cruise.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm happy they don't pester me with e-mails or calls. I know when I want to book a cruise...don't need to be prodded.

I get frequent emails from CCL at least once a week. I got regular calls from PVP until after a few times that I started booking them myself online. One thing the OP might consider is with 15 cruises CCL might have come to the conclusion that one might already be very familiar with their product.

Simple answer to that question. No they could care less about an passenger. As long as the economy stays good they will continue to treat customers as poorly as they like. They know a majority of their customers will continue to go with them.

Interesting on the loyalty comments.

We don’t drink alcohol, soda, mocktails, etc. Don’t do specialty dining unless it is included as a perk. Gambling on a cruise ship - not really. We very seldom spend anything on the ship - walk away with a bill of 0 most times. Yes we pay the tips so everyone reading this can start breathing again.

One would think they wouldn’t want to focus emails and offers on us but they do.