Changes to the Solo Program Onboard?

purpletequila

Passengers who are recently off the Bliss are reporting on Facebook that the person in charge of the solo cruisers when they were onboard informed them that "NCL doesn't do that anymore" in regards to sign up sheets for dinner and shows. The guy working the solos told them NCL decided it was too hard on the restaurants and the theater so they stopped arranging them. These cruisers are saying they were basically on their own all week and that the guy would show up to the solo meetings and act like he was on a break.

I've been considering a solo cruise and had settled on NCL because they are known to organize the solos. But if this is true, that solos are now on their own and that it is "their job" to get tickets to shows and dinner reservations, I won't bother.

Anyone have recent experience to corroborate this? The posters on Facebook did give the guy's name but I'll refrain unless it is mentioned here.

I do not know if it is true, but on the last cruise on the GEM (last Oct 2017)- the solo traveler host was horrible. On the first night, showed up late and then later on during the week - never actually showed up on time or showed up at all. It was basically left to solo travelers that showed up at the meeting location to decide if s/he want to eat dinner together and where everyone ask each other what their plans were. No help with dinner reservations or show reservations or had any sign up sheets.

On the breakaway, it was different because there was a studio lounge. I do not know if it changed at all.

Was this the cruise with Rod Elbo as solo coordinator? I’ve read many negative comments from several people about how he was lazy and didn’t bother organising anything, just basically turned up. It sounds like you were just unlucky to get a coordinator who was too lazy to bother putting any effort in. This is not the norm. You probably could have gone above his head. Mentioned it to the CD or dropped a letter in the HD’s box. I’m sure the HD would have been interested and would have spoken to the CD about it. The 5 cruises I’ve done this year the coordinator still organised group dinners and seats for the show in the theatre, even on Breakaway. Some coordinators are excellent, others not quite up to the standard of others, but I believe this guy needs to step up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both my experiences with the solo co-ordinators were similar. I was on the Epic last year and recently on the Escape. Both members of staff were pleasant enough... BUT they were not accommodating should you wish to do anything other than what they had arranged. On the Epic the meetings were set for 6pm with dinner arranged at 6.15pm. On the Escape the meetings were at 5pm with dinners scheduled for 6pm. Neither were interested in helping those of us who did not wish to eat at those times and so we had to make our own arrangements. On the Escape there were very few people sailing who were genuinely solo... I was very glad I had booked as part of a group booking and had been getting to know people on FB to give me other options.

Edited to add... neither offered to organise group activities beyond dinner, with the exception of a visit to the Ice Bar on the Epic but that night there was no dinner table organised.

I was on the Gem in February and the coordinator was pretty good with ideas to do stuff . He too organized dinners

the first being in the Grand Princess which had horrible service with 1 table being served after ours had

finished eating. Another nite we were to eat in the Chinese resto which had a 45 minute since it was

Chinese New Years which he did not know about so I bagged that and went off on my own.

All in all, it is definitely a good option if you want to join others

You probably could have gone above his head. Mentioned it to the CD or dropped a letter in the HD’s box. I’m sure the HD would have been interested and would have spoken to the CD about it.

On the Breakaway last year, someone complained to one of the higher ups about the solo host. I am not sure if it was to the HD or the CD. IMO, the complaint was unwarranted, but they did react. They took it very seriously and his supervisor started showing up to make sure he was doing his job. I filled out a hero card because the complaints were ridiculous and I wanted management to make sure they knew he was doing a great job. That said, I have had some bad ones too. Definitely helps to say something to someone.

NCL has always done such a great job catering to solo passengers, would be a shame if they stopped.

On the Epic at the end of April, the solo hosts (there were two, splitting the week) had sign-up sheets for shows and specialty dinners, but I didn't use those. After some games (my team won at Chinese trivia) the host would gather a group for dinner in one of the MDRs, where a table for ten or twelve had been reserved.

Was this the cruise with Rod Elbo as solo coordinator? I’ve read many negative comments from several people about how he was lazy and didn’t bother organising anything, just basically turned up. It sounds like you were just unlucky to get a coordinator who was too lazy to bother putting any effort in. This is not the norm. You probably could have gone above his head. Mentioned it to the CD or dropped a letter in the HD’s box. I’m sure the HD would have been interested and would have spoken to the CD about it. The 5 cruises I’ve done this year the coordinator still organised group dinners and seats for the show in the theatre, even on Breakaway. Some coordinators are excellent, others not quite up to the standard of others, but I believe this guy needs to step up.

Yes. That was the name. People said he literally told them it was their job to get tickets etc..no organization, would show up and act like he was on break.

Edited to add... neither offered to organise group activities beyond dinner, with the exception of a visit to the Ice Bar on the Epic but that night there was no dinner table organised.

The solo coordinator isn't a cruise director they are just in charge of getting the group to dinner. I think you were expecting too much.

On the Breakaway last year, someone complained to one of the higher ups about the solo host. I am not sure if it was to the HD or the CD. IMO, the complaint was unwarranted, but they did react. They took it very seriously and his supervisor started showing up to make sure he was doing his job. I filled out a hero card because the complaints were ridiculous and I wanted management to make sure they knew he was doing a great job. That said, I have had some bad ones too. Definitely helps to say something to someone.

NCL has always done such a great job catering to solo passengers, would be a shame if they stopped.

Well that’s my primary concern. One random bad solo host is one thing, but this Rod guy told them NCL is no longer booking reservations for solo travelers because it put too much strain on the venues. If that’s true, it might affect my decision to go solo on NCL.

The solo coordinator isn't a cruise director they are just in charge of getting the group to dinner. I think you were expecting too much.

I haven’t gone yet and from what I’ve read, they do a bit more than that hence NCL branding itself as a great option for solo travelers. And I wouldn’t expect them to do cartwheels down the hallway but I would expect them to book group reservations for dinners and shows, something this character seemingly told the solos NCL no longer does.

HI all!

I sure hope that's not true! Last May on the Getaway we had Jose who was the best solo host ever! We did something different each night eg played Scattergories, painted t shirts before he took us to dinner. He reserved us seats in the theatre ahead of the Haven guests. I sure hope he's on Bliss in Nov. I actually emailed him today to see if he will be there. If it is Rod & he's lazy, he'll be hearing about it.

In June, on the Star, there was a solo meeting & Patrick did his best with us but there was a lack of interest on our part as some were travelling with others so not what I'd call solo.

I can get along fine on my own but it is nice to have a host that arranges things.

~ Jo ~ :)

This isn't really true. The solo coordinator has, at least in past instances, acted as a solo cruise director. I've had them organize bowling tournaments, trivia teams. dinners, shows, heck, even a shore excursion once. I don't know what their directives are from the cruise line, nor have I always had that happen. But there are definitely expectations in place based on past, and others' experiences.

I've had one good and one great solo hosts. Unfortunately, I can't remember either of their names, because I'm awful with names. One was on the Pearl in Alaska in 2015, and the other was on the Jade to the Western Caribbean in 2016.

This isn't really true. The solo coordinator has, at least in past instances, acted as a solo cruise director. I've had them organize bowling tournaments, trivia teams. dinners, shows, heck, even a shore excursion once. I don't know what their directives are from the cruise line, nor have I always had that happen. But there are definitely expectations in place based on past, and others' experiences.

I've had one good and one great solo hosts. Unfortunately, I can't remember either of their names, because I'm awful with names. One was on the Pearl in Alaska in 2015, and the other was on the Jade to the Western Caribbean in 2016.

Technically, it is correct to say that the solo host is not a cruise director. However, the solo host is a member of the cruise director's staff, and as such, is a direct employee of the cruise director.

Issues with or involving the solo host are correctly bought to the attention of the cruise director.

I had done extensive research including reading many reviews suggesting they did a little more than organise a set meal each night. It seems that it's somewhat inconsistent though... Or that things are indeed changing.

Sent using Tapatalk

My understanding is that their job is to arrange activity to promote solo cruisers to mingle which usually involves a group diner, maybe some trivia, or promote a group to see a show. They are entertainment staff, not guest service or a concierge.

A trivia host or performer would not book a reservation for you but if you mingle and meet people as a group that want to do something you are a reservation phone call or touchscreen away to book anything.

On the Getaway in December, there was a group that met at the social, decided against waiting for dinner and went to a restaurant together and for the rest of the trip most of that group mingled or waved and said hi for the rest of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI all!

I sure hope that's not true! Last May on the Getaway we had Jose who was the best solo host ever! We did something different each night eg played Scattergories, painted t shirts before he took us to dinner. He reserved us seats in the theatre ahead of the Haven guests. I sure hope he's on Bliss in Nov. I actually emailed him today to see if he will be there. If it is Rod & he's lazy, he'll be hearing about it.

In June, on the Star, there was a solo meeting & Patrick did his best with us but there was a lack of interest on our part as some were travelling with others so not what I'd call solo.

I can get along fine on my own but it is nice to have a host that arranges things.

Hi Jo...hope you are doing well. We had Jose on the Panama Canal cruise also and he was, as usual, fabulous. Had sign up sheets for the go-karts, laser tag, Prohibition the Musical, Jersey Boys, etc. He showed up at a pre-arranged place before every event and even walked us inside to our seats for the shows. As part of the cruise staff, he was also all over the ship, at the game shows, special party nights, etc...I don't think the man every sleeps. On the last night, he had giveaways and personalized certificates for the solos. We had actually taken up a collection prior so that we could give him a tip (truly earned) that night and he was overwhelmed. I really hope he is back on the Bliss for your PC cruise...sounds like this other guy needs to step up his game!

Hi all!

Deb ~ nice to see you here & learn that there's a possibility we could have the amazing Jose!!

BTW I still have the container from the candies you gave me sitting on my coffee table. I was just thinking about our fabulous Getaway cruise. Do you remember the name of the young lawyer in our group maybe Brandon?

I see you have a very interesting TA booked for next year. Me too just booked on the Pearl in April from NYC.

I sure hope we get a decent solo host as it can make such a difference to the enjoyment of the cruise. I too wondered when did Jose sleep?!!

I've been considering a solo cruise and had settled on NCL because they are known to organize the solos. But if this is true, that solos are now on their own and that it is "their job" to get tickets to shows and dinner reservations, I won't bother.

How do you think couples or group of friends and all the people who just met on board get their show tickets or dining reservations??

Those discussions explain why I don't even bother to go to the solo meetings anymore.

The "just show up but don't really do anything" mentality that some have reported is no different than what I encountered on Holland America. A group of about 20 solos showed up for the first get together and were greeted with "introduce yourselves and enjoy your cruise". My plan ever since then has just been to go do what I want to do and it's worked just fine for me.

How do you think couples or group of friends and all the people who just met on board get their show tickets or dining reservations??

Those discussions explain why I don't even bother to go to the solo meetings anymore.

I assumed since they allegedly have a solo organizer or whatever the title is, that said solo guy in charge of solos got the reservations since the solos generally won't know everyone until they board and that is usually too late to get reservations for groups. ???????

I assumed since they allegedly have a solo organizer or whatever the title is, that said solo guy in charge of solos got the reservations since the solos generally won't know everyone until they board and that is usually too late to get reservations for groups. ???????

If you join your roll call or FB group for your sailing, you can 'meet' lots of solos on your cruise prior to getting on the ship. On my May Panama Canal cruise, we set up a happy hour at a Miami restaurant the night before the cruise which was very well attended (by both solos and couples) and also had an embarkation lunch for 60 people. I have sailed on NCL 5 times "solo" and never eaten dinner or gone to a show alone, nor did I attend the solo gatherings except maybe one or two times until my last cruise. Put yourself out there and you might be surprised with what you find. (y)

You can also start booking shows and if you don’t want to go alone you usually find others willing to come too once onboard. Some people cruise solo because they want to be alone.

I imagine they will still keep a board so cruisers can sign up for meals and we organise the reservations ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got off the Epic and while I didn't join in, the solo host was fabulous. He had a week long itinerary laid out with a different dinner gathering each night in a free restaurant, an activity held by the ship, and then an entertainment option, 1 early and 1 late so you could be occupied with other solos from 5pm to midnight.

For example: happy hour in the Solo Lounge at 5, dinner in O'Sheehan's at 6:15, bowling in Bliss, the show in the theater and then a late night entertainment.