Upgrade questions

KateQ22003

Good morning,

I am going on the Dawn back-to-back to Bermuda the last week in August and the first week in September. I am currently booked in the same mini suite for both cruises. I have put in suite upgrade bids for both cruises. I know that the chances of getting the same room/category are slim to none for the two cruises, but what are the chances I will know if I got the upgrade for the second week when I get on the ship? I know it really doesn't matter and I can find out from the ship, but my sister is joining me the second week and I would like to be able to tell her so that she can print out the correct luggage tags.

Also, does anyone know if we all have the same "bid range" for the various suites? If I paid for a mini suite, do I have a different "thermometer" than someone who bought a balcony room? Do they take into consideration what you paid originally, and what your status is, or is it strictly who offers the most to upgrade? I have looked on the NCL website, but I can't find the criteria for who ultimately wins the bid.

Any help you can provide would be so appreciated! I know this board always has the answers :)

Kathy

Best help I can give is just upgrade yourself ahead of time. Dawn prices for suites that time of the year have been pretty reasonable. Snag a low cat SJ or SH.

I have actually been thinking about doing this. I am going to check pricing today to see if it has dropped again. I don't want SJ because of no balcony, but I am game for any of the others!

Good morning,

I am going on the Dawn back-to-back to Bermuda the last week in August and the first week in September. I am currently booked in the same mini suite for both cruises. I have put in suite upgrade bids for both cruises. I know that the chances of getting the same room/category are slim to none for the two cruises, but what are the chances I will know if I got the upgrade for the second week when I get on the ship? I know it really doesn't matter and I can find out from the ship, but my sister is joining me the second week and I would like to be able to tell her so that she can print out the correct luggage tags.

Also, does anyone know if we all have the same "bid range" for the various suites? If I paid for a mini suite, do I have a different "thermometer" than someone who bought a balcony room? Do they take into consideration what you paid originally, and what your status is, or is it strictly who offers the most to upgrade? I have looked on the NCL website, but I can't find the criteria for who ultimately wins the bid.

Any help you can provide would be so appreciated! I know this board always has the answers :)

Kathy

The suites will be awarded Monday-Wednesday on the week of cruise (with declines coming out 48 hours to cruise).

So,,, you have spent enough time in Dawn suites to know that there are not that many suites on the ship. And that balconies, minis, and suites are eligible to bid on each suite room. So there will be hundreds of bids for each room. The likelihood of winning a bid are very, very small (let alone winning two).

The amount that you would have to bid to win is probably more than the price difference between your mini and the current price of that lovely family or aft facing suite. Per the prior post, you might as well pay the difference in room cost, get all of the free at sea perks, and guarantee yourself a suite.

With regard to thermometers, the ranges have are based on your booking class (not amount you paid). I do not know whether there is any difference in ranges between balconies and minis (from what I can infer, they are the same). There is a difference between minis and suites (i.e., if you are in a family suite and bidding on an owners suite, your range will be different than if you were in a mini bidding on an owners suite).

The cost to paid the difference in room costs to go to a family suite (just using today's retail cost) is about $1100 per person.

We were in an SE on our last cruise on the Dawn (Boston to Quebec) and we loved the forward facing views sailing down the St. Lawrence.

Enjoy!

Word of caution, the answers you will receive are purely guess work or the posters upgrade experience.

For instance, reading the upgrade thread, I knew I would never be upgraded.

Lo and behold I was, from a mini suite to a 2 bedroom Haven on my upcoming Baltic cruise. My bid was in the poor range, my cruise also vanished from web site leading me to believe it was full, no more upgrades.

My cruise departs on 08/18/19, I was notified on 07/11 or there abouts.

So take the answers with a grain of salt as no one truly has the magical equation for an upgrade, way too many variables.

Good luck and enjoy your cruises

Word of caution, the answers you will receive are purely guess work or the posters upgrade experience.

For instance, reading the upgrade thread, I knew I would never be upgraded.

Lo and behold I was, from a mini suite to a 2 bedroom Haven on my upcoming Baltic cruise. My bid was in the poor range, my cruise also vanished from web site leading me to believe it was full, no more upgrades.

My cruise departs on 08/18/19, I was notified on 07/11 or there abouts.

So take the answers with a grain of salt as no one truly has the magical equation for an upgrade, way too many variables.

Good luck and enjoy your cruises

Whoa, that sounds like a fantastic upgrade!!! Is it acceptable to share what your upgrade cost was? If so, i'd love to know.

No one knows for sure what all goes into the algorithm Plusgrade (the third party site that runs Upgrade Advantage) uses to process bids. I can tell you that the code behind the upgrade page DOES pass along your Latitude level and what you originally paid per person for your current stateroom. Whether that actually factors into the equation is anyone's guess. Chances are slim that you will know about your upgrade for the second cruise before boarding your first sailing. Unless a ship sells out or prices drop, they don't usually process upgrades until about 3-5 days out.

Whoa, that sounds like a fantastic upgrade!!! Is it acceptable to share what your upgrade cost was? If so, i'd love to know.

Mis type in my post my cruise is 08/18/18 not 19 lol

Minimum bid was 1200 pp for first two guests, I bid 1250, barely moved the meter.

My cruise is 9 days and ship is sold out so I am very thankful to have the solitude of the Haven.

Had I upgraded myself I was looking at somewhere near $5500 total, can't remember exactly but wasn't paying that

The suites will be awarded Monday-Wednesday on the week of cruise (with declines coming out 48 hours to cruise).

So,,, you have spent enough time in Dawn suites to know that there are not that many suites on the ship. And that balconies, minis, and suites are eligible to bid on each suite room. So there will be hundreds of bids for each room. The likelihood of winning a bid are very, very small (let alone winning two).

The amount that you would have to bid to win is probably more than the price difference between your mini and the current price of that lovely family or aft facing suite. Per the prior post, you might as well pay the difference in room cost, get all of the free at sea perks, and guarantee yourself a suite.

With regard to thermometers, the ranges have are based on your booking class (not amount you paid). I do not know whether there is any difference in ranges between balconies and minis (from what I can infer, they are the same). There is a difference between minis and suites (i.e., if you are in a family suite and bidding on an owners suite, your range will be different than if you were in a mini bidding on an owners suite).

The cost to paid the difference in room costs to go to a family suite (just using today's retail cost) is about $1100 per person.

We were in an SE on our last cruise on the Dawn (Boston to Quebec) and we loved the forward facing views sailing down the St. Lawrence.

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot! I actually have always gotten an upgrade on the Dawn; I'm thinking my bids are too big :) I was in an SE a couple of cruises ago; I loved it!