Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

9 hours ago, Lirio said:

We are considering for our next cruise to go to Kimberley. We have opportunity to go on May or on August. ANy recommendation? If I remember well, some Coolers are going next year as well.

Question:

1 - is it worth to consider a couple of days in Broome and/or Darwin on our own, pre and post cruise?

Should we go, we will combine this cruise with a visit to our daughter in NZ.

August would be better. Cyclone season lasts until April. It would be more humid in May although the waterfalls would be more spectacular.

If the cruise ends in Broome 2 nights means you would have enough time to see the main sights in Broome. Plus hotel rooms are quite expensive in Broome.

If starting in Broome I would recommend going a day or two before as flights are quite often cancelled.

To or from Broome I would suggest a stop in Perth as it is wildflower season and in Western Australia it’s spectacular but hire a car to get to a greater variety.

Well worth some time in Darwin as a trip to Kakadu National Park is highly recommended. Trips usually take in Katherine as well for it’s spectacular gorge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

That'll be us in a few weeks. In Botswana. After petting the cheetahs!

Lucky you, we've never been to Botswana , we safaried in the trans frontier national park, which is about as close as we have been. Presume you will get to the Okavango delta .

Looking forward to following your trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reef Knot said:

Presume you will get to the Okavango delta

We have been fortunate enough to have been on safari trips to South Africa (private reserve on the border of Kruger), and Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro, and Tarangire), as well as going on a gorilla trek in Rwanda. This will be our third big safari trip to Southern Africa. There is nothing like it.

We are splitting the time between four lodges/locations. We start in Dinaka which is on the northern border of the Central Kalahari game reserve for 3 nights. Then 4 nights at Vumbura Plains, in the Okavango Delta. Three nights at Duma Tau in the Linyati region. Lastly, we cross over to Zambia and stay 3 nights at Tongabezi which is a little upriver from the town of Livingstone. I heard there is some little waterfall near there whose name escapes me. But Chris loves waterfalls so I guess we'll check it out. Whatever she wants; happy wife, happy life.

Flying in/out of Johannesberg. We originally bought RT tix on a great route, ALB-ATL-JNB, as DL flies an A350 on that nonstop long haul from ALB-JNB. But then about 2 months ago, they canceled the return leg on us, and put us an a flight leaving a day earlier! I spent a long time with DL customer service and in the end they put us on a nice itinerary back, on our original day, JNB-CDG(on AF)-ATL-ALB with no upcharge. 

T-2 weeks. I have my long lens, and I'm dragging the DSLR with me. I bought a big bottle of Malarone and I have lots of Cipro for the inevitable. Just like Silversea, we get laundry at all the stops so we can pack light. And it will be at least 90 degrees so we won't need the parkas!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 10

I agree that it is great to be going to Botswana.  The experience there is amazing. Botswana is one of the least corrupt countries in Africa. 
But corruption can benefit you. When staying north of Livingston in Zambia ask if the army is still offering the walk with rhinos experience.

Zambia introduced rhinos to the NP there and each rhino had a soldier with an AK47 with them to stop poaching. We paid $US 10 a few years ago to do it and it was a highlight of our safari.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

394266755_1962144130845043_5775447751392101439_n.jpg.0966c4d08e0a74a37552bf2f1be6eed1.jpg

Have a great safe fun day all!

The relationship between wine consumed, and dancing prowess, follows a bell-shaped curve. With no wine, you're too shy to dance well. With an appropriate amount to loosen one up, the dancing quality improves. You do reach a point of diminishing returns though!

Chris and I always know when it's time to give up and start drinking water. When I can't lead and she can't spin as well as usual, it's definitely the wrong side of the bell curve.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

The relationship between wine consumed, and dancing prowess, follows a bell-shaped curve. With no wine, you're too shy to dance well. With an appropriate amount to loosen one up, the dancing quality improves. You do reach a point of diminishing returns though!

Chris and I always know when it's time to give up and start drinking water. When I can't lead and she can't spin as well as usual, it's definitely the wrong side of the bell curve.

Historical data definitely help with tread assessments.  😁  Unfortunately,  we have limited Historical data.  We'll have to wing it! 😅

• Haha 5

Fortunately, our favorite food store gives a 10% discount to "Seniors" (over 65).  It really helps.  They also evidently give same discount if you're pregnant.  I once asked the check out person what happens if you're over 65 AND pregnant.  She looked me in the eye and immediately responded "We'll GIVE you the dam groceries!"  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Fortunately, our favorite food store gives a 10% discount to "Seniors" (over 65).  It really helps.  They also evidently give same discount if you're pregnant.  I once asked the check out person what happens if you're over 65 AND pregnant.  She looked me in the eye and immediately responded "We'll GIVE you the dam groceries!"  🤪

You're very lucky WWFT!  That is the kind of community caring that should be the norm and,  unfortunately,  is not!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

DW was surprised to get a senior discount at one of our local supermarkets on "Senior Tuesday."  She hadn't asked for it because she didn't know it existed.  Much better than "Taco Tuesday."  🤣

• Like 2