Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 5/30/2024 at 5:33 PM, gnome12 said:

although we here in Ontario call them walkers. :classic_smile:

But, to be honest, we are, unfortunately, really not very disability friendly.

Random qzestion while you are on the tipic of Zimmer frames, but I have been wondering for years: Why do they not have little wheels like the ones you see around here s lot?

IMG_7873.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

Random qzestion while you are on the tipic of Zimmer frames, but I have been wondering for years: Why do they not have little wheels like the ones you see around here s lot?

IMG_7873.jpeg

Bigger wheels are easier for going up a step, such as the kerb when crossing the road.  They are also much better for unpaved surfaces such as grass, dirt paths or sandy tracks.

4 minutes ago, TechSurfer said:

In fairness, I'm on OneWorld's side on this. Those business practices were screwing it for everyone else. 

And the latest news is American says Oops! and is figuring out how to get out of this mess they made re business travel in general.

We're heading to Black Tartan Kitchen tonight for the May tasting menu.  I haven't had time to do the crossword.  Here it is for those who enjoy the challenge.  Pictures to follow tomorrow.

BTKMay2024small.jpg.bb168886b4cbe202769b51f28695d0ee.jpg

• Like 5

working on a Swedish meatballs & pasta dinner while enjoying a bit of Cote du Rhone red.

The question is will this Boursin based sauce ever boil down?

Or is it time to order pizza?

IMG_1758.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

working on a Swedish meatballs & pasta dinner while enjoying a bit of Cote du Rhone red.

The question is will this Boursin based sauce ever boil down?

Or is it time to order pizza?

Boursin is likely to produce a lighter more herby more watery sauce than a hard cheese sauce.  If the sauce is either currently by itself or has been combined with the pasta then patience might be rewarded.  If the sauce hasn’t been combined then as an emergency “quick fix” to save the meal you might consider dumping the Boursin  and using a tin of cream of tomato or cream of mushroom soup with a decent knob of butter and either perhaps with some dried herb and possibly sliced mushrooms.  

I use canned soups often for a sauce base.

Good luck and do post what transpired. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it were me, I'd take the meatballs out, boil down (reduce the sauce), return the meatballs, and finish things.  You could cut a meatball in half and look at color, or use Instaread thermometer to see where meatballs are at.  Ideally, you want MB's and sauce to finish at same time.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

@Grand Duchess,  In the U.S. Medicare pays for the ones that don't have wheels.  The fancier ones with wheels you have to buy yourself.

Thank you, that explains it. Been wondering for years about this contraption whenever I saw this in a movie. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mysty said:

We're heading to Black Tartan Kitchen tonight for the May tasting menu.  I haven't had time to do the crossword.  Here it is for those who enjoy the challenge.  Pictures to follow tomorrow.

Holey h3ll,  mysty   ... you haven't given  us enough time to  work  this  one out  !! 😀😀

Oh  those  " zimmer "  thingys  -  in Australia  they are called  wheely walkers - or thats is what they were called at my mothers retirement village   !!

Orthonica Folding Steel Rollator 4-Wheel Walker Adjustable Handles w/ Storage Box

I have one in our garage   -  I am  hoping I dont need it for a  few months  !!! 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

Holey h3ll,  mysty   ... you haven't given  us enough time to  work  this  one out  !! 😀😀

Oh  those  " zimmer "  thingys  -  in Australia  they are called  wheely walkers - or thats is what they were called at my mothers retirement village   !!

Orthonica Folding Steel Rollator 4-Wheel Walker Adjustable Handles w/ Storage Box

I have one in our garage   -  I am  hoping I dont need it for a  few months  !!! 

Sorry @rojaan19 !  I hadn't intended to do the crossword.   I've been busy unpacking.   But then, about 1/2 hour before we were due to leave, I decided to give it a go!  I'll plan on giving you more time next time.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mysty said:

Sorry @rojaan19 !  I hadn't intended to do the crossword.   I've been busy unpacking.   But then, about 1/2 hour before we were due to leave, I decided to give it a go!  I'll plan on giving you more time next time.  😁

I know un-packing  from  a  L O N G  trip  can  give you the  .....  you need plenty of things to  distract you   !! 

Glad you havent rembered how to  cook !   🥂 😄  🥂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

May menu crossword answers and photos.....

1. Asparagus

image8small.jpg.8d4ca07b01621e42ed62283de223b46e.jpg

2. Scallop

image7small.jpg.0647af2b70b87766d7a1239921254463.jpg

3.  Vichyssoise

image6small.jpg.cfb471600382166c175467bd91d10110.jpg

4.  Pasta

image5small.jpg.2161bc23b347b8a6d6b0d7955e3a2c5f.jpg

5. Venison

image3small.jpg.e1012da834e1316887f0d5b9bcc4c62d.jpg

6. Chocolate

image1small.jpg.cc9333d0b326db93bde4936f8e3362a0.jpg

7. Rhubarb

image0small.jpg.9bbcfb839daf31537bd81d430aa5dacc.jpg

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Today @seaside is The Airshow! Later is The Red Arrows!

Lunch@Seaside was some very nice Sea Bream which I baked with lemon butter sauce  and some crushed potato and PEAS! ❤️

Jeff

IMG_5565.jpeg

IMG_5567.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good luck and do post what transpired

Thank you all for the tips, I should have been more patient here at the computer.  I believe Jeff and WWT's tips would have worked well.  Instead, I turned up the heat on the sauce/meatball burner & started the pasta.  There will be no pics to document the result; the sauce became clots of some sort of cheese, & the meatballs were ok if a bit overcooked.  Wife and I enjoyed the buttered pasta, ate a few meatballs and finished the bottle of wine.  Dog will receive a meatball supplement for a couple of days with her kibble.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Boursin is likely to produce a lighter more herby more watery sauce than a hard cheese sauce.  If the sauce is either currently by itself or has been combined with the pasta then patience might be rewarded.  If the sauce hasn’t been combined then as an emergency “quick fix” to save the meal you might consider dumping the Boursin  and using a tin of cream of tomato or cream of mushroom soup with a decent knob of butter and either perhaps with some dried herb and possibly sliced mushrooms.  

I use canned soups often for a sauce base.

Good luck and do post what transpired. 

Jeff

Oh yes, canned soup works very well if  you want to "cheat" a bit. Got a foolproof recipe from a friend at work once: Take a can of very good lobster soup, pimp it with some nice tipple (I sometimes use "Kirsch", i.e. cherry brandy) and maybe a little cream or similar, take an ovenproof dish where you put in some rolled fish fillets, pour over the sauce, if you want it to look very posh throw in some small shrimps, bake in the oven until fish is tender but not overcooked (very quick), serve with rice or some nice baguette. Works every time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Oh yes, canned soup works very well if  you want to "cheat" a bit. Got a foolproof recipe from a friend at work once: Take a can of very good lobster soup, pimp it with some nice tipple (I sometimes use "Kirsch", i.e. cherry brandy) and maybe a little cream or similar, take an ovenproof dish where you put in some rolled fish fillets, pour over the sauce, if you want it to look very posh throw in some small shrimps, bake in the oven until fish is tender but not overcooked (very quick), serve with rice or some nice baguette. Works every time.

A really great cheat!  Soups are great for sauces.  It’s often difficult for many to think it cannot work but so much work goes into soups and they are so cheap and I subscribe to cheating wherever and whenever I cannot add sufficient value.by slogging harder. 

My very very favourite soup cheat.  And if done well you needn’t own up until challenged. 😉

If you want to cheat a really cunning pretty good cheat of bouillabaisse  then adding a decent slug of ouzo (cheats’ fennel) to a lobster bisque and adding some smokey sweet paprika and a mixed fish pie mix with some fresh mussels is pretty good and often better than most of the stuff we’ve had in Marseilles which has now all pretty well succumbed to the wholesale fleecing of tourists.  

Obviously adjust to taste!

Jeff

ps 

Lovely atmosphere at Seaside with all the roads closed to outsiders and loads of people milling around.  It’s a little misty over the sea but still great to be on the Balcony.

IMG_5583.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 4

Glad to be home (for a minute or two). Just finished a quick sprint out of town for a cousin's funeral.

Left Albany at 5:30 AM yesterday on Delta, through LaGuardia, to Norfolk. Worked like clockwork and had time to meet my aunt at the airport and we went to lunch before the service. Spent the afternoon reminiscing with lots of wonderful cousins, spouses, kids, aunts, uncles, and friends who are part of the extended family. Lovely day despite the reason for the gathering. 

I was originally going to reverse the itinerary home on DL, getting in around noon. I was up against some time constraints because we're meeting up with another cousin for dinner at the Culinary Institute of America tonight, and the event starts at 5PM. So I worried that a noon arrival into Albany might not leave much room for error.

So I canceled the return leg on Delta and instead, drove back to DC with my brother last night after the services. I got a nice one-way flight on United leaving at 8:45 and arriving in Albany at 10:30. Lots of time to spare. And no layover. Safer? Sure... One might think.

Until I got a text at 6AM today informing me that the inbound crew was going to be late and my flight would leave at 12 noon. If I could trust that would be the final answer, I'd still be OK. But, I didn't.

So I found the last ticket on a Southwest flight from BWI to Albany leaving at 10:30, and made my poor brother drive me 45 minutes to BWI (instead of 10 to Dulles) but he said it was OK. Touched down just before noon. And the United flight is delayed again, now estimated departure is 2PM. Glad I could find another option!

Off for a shower, and then heading out to dinner!

• Like 5