Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, well, this coming Thursday I am going on my land trip (I think I mentioned it a while back). The time is nearing. We are going to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, along with going on the Snake River in what would be a big raft. It has regular seats......We are staying in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and this trip will certainly be different. There are 7 of us and I made sure to get my own room, that is for sure. It is a birthday trip for my very close friend. She is the one who is the planner.....I leave on Thursday morning and will be gone till July 5th. 

I was trying to think back on my last land trip.........at least 10 years ago my sister's and I had a mini reunion up in Toronto.......that was in 2014.

Anyway, this whole trip is VERY casual.......LOL.......looks like we are expecting good weather too.

Any of you coolers been out that way before? Would love to hear any thoughts.

Hi Lois. I grew up in Montana but now living in Oregon.  We have been to Yellowstone many times over the years. The last was a few years ago.  You will enjoy the beautiful scenery.  We haven’t seen any bears in recent trips but the buffalo are fun to watch and cause quite the buffalo jams when the herd is passing through.  You are coming during the earlier part of the summer so traffic should not be too bad.  The crowded area is around Old Faithful.  Have a wonderful trip. 

Edited by mauimary

6 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

Good morning,

Difficult since I like both. My favourite singer for Bacharach sings remains Dionne though.

https://youtu.be/OF2ruuzmJDY

I adore DW!  

I asked her via Cameo for a birthday message for wifey a year back and she did a delightfully personal one.  It transpires her mum shared the same birthday as my wife.   It was a treasured surprise for my wife.  

Cameo is a wonderful invention and I’ve had several for her. 

Jeff

• Like 1

We will be dining at the Black Tartan Kitchen tonight.  Daughter is coming to visit and to share in the magic.  Pics will follow tomorrow for those interested.

have a lovely weekend all!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Lois - did my research about Jackson Hole (as not sure where it is!), including what the weather will be like for you; I am a secret geek.  Our BBC weather department has never heard of it, though I get its reports from Nashville, where my grandson, the bass guitarist, lives.  And I would have thought that it was just as famous.  I suspect it is not in the appallingly hot area of your country though.  It looks beautiful; I am sure you will have a great time, especially with  a group of girl friends.

Lola

Hi Lola,😀 Jackson Hole is in the state of WYOMING.......if you are looking on a map. 

I had no idea you had a grandson living in Nashville. That is very cool😀

7 hours ago, mauimary said:

Hi Lois. I grew up in Montana but now living in Oregon.  We have been to Yellowstone many times over the years. The last was a few years ago.  You will enjoy the beautiful scenery.  We haven’t seen any bears in recent trips but the buffalo are fun to watch and cause quite the buffalo jams when the herd is passing through.  You are coming during the earlier part of the summer so traffic should not be too bad.  The crowded area is around Old Faithful.  Have a wonderful trip. 

Good morning😀, thank you for the input. We are staying very near the downtown square of Jackson Hole. The property is called Mountain Modern.  One thing I didn't know until this trip, prices of things, (hotels, restaurants, tours, etc) are pretty pricey out there.

I have to remind myself that this is not like a cruise....it is not 1 price for everything LOL.

11 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Sunday at some point. We're in Changi now, boarding in about 2 hours. Our bags are already on board, which is important. One has a bottle of Dom and the other has two nice reserve reds from Swan River, which we purchased on Thursday. We don't care so much about the dirty clothes... 😉

We arrive back at JFK Saturday around 7PM after the 18-hour flight from Changi, and we'll stay overnight at the TWA Hotel. Sunday morning I'll get our one-way rental and drive home. No way I'll be up for that drive on Saturday night after the flight!

Good idea for sure.😀 I have stayed at the TWA twice in the past couple of years, Definitely a good option, especially since you will be exhausted!

• Like 1

Thoughts Of A Confused Senior:

·So now Cocaine is legal in Oregon, but straws aren’t. That must be frustrating.

·Still trying to get my head around the fact that ‘Take Out’ can mean food, dating, or murder.

·Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers. If you do find one, what’s your plan?

·The older I get, the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.

·Being popular on Facebook is like sitting at the ‘cool table’ in the cafeteria of a mental hospital.

·I too was once a male trapped in a female body…but then my mother gave birth.

·If only vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

·When I lost the fingers on my right hand in a freak accident, I asked the doctor if I would still be able to write with it. He said, “Probably, but I wouldn’t count on it.

·I woke up this morning determined to drink less, eat right, and exercise. But that was four hours ago when I was younger and full of hope.

·The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have begun asking humans to prove they aren’t a robot.

·When a kid says “Daddy, I want Mommy” that’s the kid version of “I’d like to speak to your supervisor”.

·It’s weird being the same age as old people.

·Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say: “CLOSE ENOUGH”.

·Last night the internet stopped working so I spent a few hours with my family. They seem like good people.

·Some of my friends exercise every day. Meanwhile I am watching a show I don’t like because the remote fell on the floor.

·I just got a present labelled, ‘From Mom and Dad’, and I know darn well Dad has no idea what’s inside.

·Someone said, “Nothing rhymes with orange.” I said, “No, it doesn’t.”

·There’s a fine line between a numerator and a denominator.  Only a fraction of people will find this funny.

·Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.

·I have many hidden talents.  I just wish I could remember where I hid them.

·Apparently, exercise helps you with decision-making.  It’s true. I went for a run this morning and decided I’m never going again.

• Haha 11

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, well, this coming Thursday I am going on my land trip (I think I mentioned it a while back). The time is nearing. We are going to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, along with going on the Snake River in what would be a big raft. It has regular seats......We are staying in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and this trip will certainly be different. There are 7 of us and I made sure to get my own room, that is for sure. It is a birthday trip for my very close friend. She is the one who is the planner.....I leave on Thursday morning and will be gone till July 5th. 

I was trying to think back on my last land trip.........at least 10 years ago my sister's and I had a mini reunion up in Toronto.......that was in 2014.

Anyway, this whole trip is VERY casual.......LOL.......looks like we are expecting good weather too.

Hi Lois, 

My ski home & my Summer lake home are in Idaho. Just did a mini trip to Jackson a few months ago after not being there for over 20 years. It is a cute, touristy place & Yellowstone will be the highlight for many in the Summer. Lot's of RV's.

Did you see where the main mountain road broke off between Idaho and Montana? It is causing quite a problem for commuters coming to work in Jackson and having to add an hour and a half to their morning drive. This road is well used by many & quite a disaster for Jackson.

I have not posted in a while but have been lurking. Happy Summer

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Hi Lois, 

My ski home & my Summer lake home are in Idaho. Just did a mini trip to Jackson a few months ago after not being there for over 20 years. It is a cute, touristy place & Yellowstone will be the highlight for many in the Summer. Lot's of RV's.

Did you see where the main mountain road broke off between Idaho and Montana? It is causing quite a problem for commuters coming to work in Jackson and having to add an hour and a half to their morning drive. This road is well used by many & quite a disaster for Jackson.

I meant to say Wyoming not Montana. We are all connected. LOL Here is the pic of the road collapse

Image.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Lovely to see you unlurking TB!

Don’t be a stranger.  😆

Jeff

Do not worry. I always lurk for your recipes. Never know who is reading the Cooler. Cheers

• Like 1

I did know what state Jackson Hole was in, and guessed sort of near the top on the left, and not in one of the very hot in summer areas.. I sometimes do a quiz on tv at cooking and first drink time, and one popular question is to name states or state capitals very few people knew - you score if you get zero, and I therefore come up with some like Providence, Pierre, Montpelier - not many Brits know those!

Lola

• Like 3

Lola,

I only mention this because the cooler enables randomness, but it seems to me that we share an insatiable desire and pleasure to always be learning more often about almost anything.

I’d been reading quite a lot about American post-colonial history and the time between independence and where we are now and how the journey progressed.  Read loads of books but much of it was sanitised and overly romantic in nature rather than more evidence and factual based.  

A short while back I happened on a series called Frontier which is presented largely by history professors and native American historians etc and I found it extraordinary and if you don’t have a sub certainly worth a month’s fee to a streaming service to watch it.  I’ve watched it three times with wifey and it dispels myths and gives what seems like more balance.  I feel I can trust the sources and it explains so much that I previously was unable to make sense of. 

It’s currently a 6 part series on Paramount Plus in the UK which you might want to get for a month to watch it. 

Anyone else seen  it?

Jeff

42 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Hi Lois, 

Nice to see you again! Yes, I saw the news about the road/slide. 

Hoping this trip goes smoothly🙂

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning😀, thank you for the input. We are staying very near the downtown square of Jackson Hole. The property is called Mountain Modern.  One thing I didn't know until this trip, prices of things, (hotels, restaurants, tours, etc) are pretty pricey out there.

I have to remind myself that this is not like a cruise....it is not 1 price for everything LOL.

Jackson Hole is a very expensive ski town (now more like a small city). Prices are higher there. Eating in the dining rooms in the lodges in Yellowstone are expensive. What you will notice since you live at sea level will be the elevation. Don’t be surprised if you are feeling tired and out of breath walking. The elevation is over 6000 feet!  

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

Wishing you a fabulous trip! Please post so I can live vicariously. 

Have a drink or dinner at Dornans in Moose. You'll find it near the entrance to Grand Teton National Park.  There is a second story deck that has a view to die for. 

https://dornans.com/

The Art museum is a must, world class.

A few pics to whet your whistle.

The view from Dornans Bar, inside. The foods pretty good too.  When you cross the bridge make sure to look down as there are often Moose there grazing on willows there.  From Dornans there is a path down to the river.  Worth a look see.

20200614_175740.thumb.jpg.3904e9dec8b88fe8ce255b42e7199650.jpg

This guy crossed our path.  They have become beggars near trail heads.

20200615_193808.thumb.jpg.899a675b83d69f44b80ca1f842589e71.jpg

Spring in June.

20200616_165940.thumb.jpg.7f01413daf82a948b640115d4fdf730a.jpg

Grizzly.  There is a Griz with 5 cubs this year.  Maybe you'll get to see the famous 399.

20200618_211309.thumb.jpg.ced33092700edb6023f8366355e579cf.jpg

Winter in September.

20200909_095659.thumb.jpg.0b0d655d2843e8e784836f83fdf0342d.jpg

20200909_115503.thumb.jpg.74a48ffcfee8dcc9eb11f0a55451d193.jpg

Yellowstone.  Is that color even real?

20200915_124326.thumb.jpg.10e50442b75093e586c8d579f44cc2c6.jpg

Elk crossing.

20200915_140040.thumb.jpg.96001f295e0e7e595c59b0cb8df0bf88.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Wishing you a fabulous trip! Please post so I can live vicariously. 

Have a drink or dinner at Dornans in Moose. You'll find it near the entrance to Grand Teton National Park.  There is a second story deck that has a view to die for. 

https://dornans.com/

The Art museum is a must, world class.

A few pics to whet your whistle.

The view from Dornans Bar, inside. The foods pretty good too.  When you cross the bridge make sure to look down as there are often Moose there grazing on willows there.  From Dornans there is a path down to the river.  Worth a look see.

20200614_175740.thumb.jpg.3904e9dec8b88fe8ce255b42e7199650.jpg

This guy crossed our path.  They have become beggars near trail heads.

20200615_193808.thumb.jpg.899a675b83d69f44b80ca1f842589e71.jpg

Spring in June.

20200616_165940.thumb.jpg.7f01413daf82a948b640115d4fdf730a.jpg

Grizzly.  There is a Griz with 5 cubs this year.  Maybe you'll get to see the famous 399.

20200618_211309.thumb.jpg.ced33092700edb6023f8366355e579cf.jpg

Winter in September.

20200909_095659.thumb.jpg.0b0d655d2843e8e784836f83fdf0342d.jpg

20200909_115503.thumb.jpg.74a48ffcfee8dcc9eb11f0a55451d193.jpg

Yellowstone.  Is that color even real?

20200915_124326.thumb.jpg.10e50442b75093e586c8d579f44cc2c6.jpg

Elk crossing.

20200915_140040.thumb.jpg.96001f295e0e7e595c59b0cb8df0bf88.jpg

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing! And that restaurant Dornans? That is where we are eating dinner one evening. 

• Like 1

I stumbled on a bit of joy today.....

TWO POTS
Author Unknown
An elderly woman had two large pots, each hung on
the ends of a pole which she carried across her neck.
One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot
was perfect and always delivered a full portion of
water. At the end of the long walks from the stream
to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.
For full two years, this went on daily, with the
woman bringing home only one and a half pots of
water.
Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its
accomplishments. But the poor cracked pot was
ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that
it could only do half of what it had been made to do.
After two years of what it perceived to be bitter
failure, it spoke to the woman one day by the stream.
'I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my
side causes water to leak out all the way back to
your house.'
The old woman smiled, 'Did you notice that there are
flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other
pot's side?' 'That's because I have always known
about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your
side of the path, and every day while we walk back,
you water them.
' For two years I have been able to
pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table.
Without you being just the way you are, there would
not be this beauty to grace the house.'
Moral of the Story:
Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the
cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives
together so very interesting and rewarding. You've
just got to take each person for what they are and
look for the good in them.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Nice to see you again! Yes, I saw the news about the road/slide. 

Hoping this trip goes smoothly🙂

I have not posted because we have not been on a cruise since Nov. 2019, in China of all places. I kind of felt guilty. However, we are taking an Azamara cruise end of Oct. Starting in Montreal & ending in Miami. We love History and will visit many places we have been prior but will explore again. Will use it as a floating hotel, not worried about the food etc. because we will enjoy lots of fresh seafood along the seaboard. Unpack once, and let the Captain do the driving. We also could not beat the price and the longer time in ports.

I know where all of you have been, Mysty, JP, etc etc. It is much more enjoyable reading the Cooler than the News which is so disheartening. A nice reprieve to regain my sanity.

Love to all.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Well, those posts from Mysty and Zqtchas exactly sum up what makes the Cooler so worthwhile, don't they.  And, as Trulyblonde says, much more enjoyable than reading the news - and a great deal more uplifting.

Lola

• Like 8