Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

I'm not sure. A souffle is more of a "baking" recipe than a "cooking" recipe.

In general, baking recipes need to be followed more closely, or things will potentially not come out right. The balance between the strength of the leavening (egg whites) and the dough's heft from its fat content (from the milk and the egg yolks) is probably important to the performance of this recipe. It might work with cream too, or it might end up being too heavy and not rise enough. You might be able to compensate by removing some of the egg yolks. But I also may have no idea what I'm talking about! Maybe the fat content from the cheese is so high that cream vs milk is immaterial.

I am NOT a proficient baker. Chris is way better at following directions, and she can make some amazing cakes. I am a better sautee-er or braise-er... I just throw stuff in a pot and hope for the best.

I just put a pork roast in the oven for dinner. Crusted with some of the last of my fresh rosemary plant, a bit of Dijon mustard, olive oil, and fresh pepper. I don't think I can last another 90 minutes waiting for it to get done, though. I'm starving after being awake since 3:30! Must...snack...

20210103_165028.thumb.jpg.632c417345ecab7e96e9334851fe1cd6.jpg

Edited to add: I think the above actually has a bit of truth to it. I just found a food and wine recipe for cheese souffle, using heavy cream instead of milk.

They still use 4 yolks, BUT they add 3 additional whites (total of 7 whites) to make it rise. And they add cream of tartar to make the whites tougher, so they leaven more effectively. 

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/best-ever-cheese-souffle

Ok I won't waste heavy cream instead use it for ganache as planned.

I will get some milk.

Thanks all

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Ok I won't waste heavy cream instead use it for ganache as planned.

I will get some milk.

Thanks all

[computer voice]:  Does not compute.  What is 'waste heavy cream'?

I try to follow the New Orleans School of Cooking dietary guide:  every meal should be balanced among the three major food groups:  sugar, butter and cream!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

[computer voice]:  Does not compute.  What is 'waste heavy cream'?

I try to follow the New Orleans School of Cooking dietary guide:  every meal should be balanced among the three major food groups:  sugar, butter and cream!

Hahahaaaa

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Since butter and cream are the same, isn’t it the four basic food groups (aka food pyramid):

butter, sugar, caffeine, and alcohol?

I can go with that – but it seems a mistake to have both caffeine and alcohol at the same meal, since they negate each other.  OTOH I think my version shows the importance of dairy fat above all other foods...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I can go with that – but it seems a mistake to have both caffeine and alcohol at the same meal, since they negate each other.  OTOH I think my version shows the importance of dairy fat above all other foods...

Espresso martini - 'nuff said.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

135521379_1267470736979056_7928382453562739922_n.jpg.45abd794f208e56db647d096e8e7d3b3.jpg

Have a great safe day all!

I recently found out that these cartoons have recurring little 'hidden' elements in them. The small number 3 above the copyright notice says how many there are. In this one we have the spaceship/alien, the peeping eye and the apple pie slice. Others include K2 and an upside-down bird.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

I recently found out that these cartoons have recurring little 'hidden' elements in them. The small number 3 above the copyright notice says how many there are. In this one we have the spaceship/alien, the peeping eye and the apple pie slice. Others include K2 and an upside-down bird.

WOW!  That's awesome!  Thank You Steve!  Now I have another fun activity to fill in the empty COVID hours!  😁  The game is afoot!

• Like 1