Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We too waited in anticipation to view "Tucci in Italy".  While the shots of the Amalfi Coast were beautiful, overall, we did not find this show as interesting, informative, and inspiring as other similar shows, such as Anthony Bourdain

AGREE!!!  Anthony Bourdain has been the "Gold Standard".  Prefer Bourdain's mixing of food, history, style, people, etc.  In this "time of need"and exotic tourism thirst, Tucci worked OK.  Will see how the future Tucci programs for Italy evolve and hook us.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From CNN, here is the upcoming schedule with this headline : "'Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy': What's on the menu" with these details:

Rome: In this episode, Tucci heads to Rome in search of the famous four pastas. February 21.
Bologna: Tucci explores Bologna, seen by many as the food capital of Italy.  February 28.
Milan: Tucci eats and drinks his way around Milan, enjoying an aperitivo and feeling inspired to make pizzoccheri -- a noodle made from buckwheat.  March 7.
Tuscany: Tucci explores his former home of Tuscany with a wine bar crawl and a celebration of the lowly loaf. March 14.
Sicily: Tucci visits Sicily, where he tries a salty crunchy sensation and reflects on Sicilian hospitality.  March 21.”

Makes me super hungry for good Italian food, wine and fun. 

Full CNN story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/stanley-tucci-searching-for-italy-restaurants/index.html

1 hour ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We too waited in anticipation to view "Tucci in Italy".  We were quite disappointed with the origins of pizza segment.  It appeared to us, the pizza was fried and looked like a calzone but true calzones are baked.  Their reasoning for the frying, as explained in the episode last evening, was it would kill bacteria at a time when viruses where having their heyday.  Pizza ovens temperatures are much hotter than oil used for frying.  We believe the reports that the original pizzas were flatbreads with perhaps olive oil, a few herbs and baked in ovens.

Earlier in the show, he mentioned his wife died.  Later seeing his wife took us by surprise. We eventually found out this was his second wife!

While the shots of the Amalfi Coast were beautiful, overall, we did not find this show as interesting, informative, and inspiring as other similar shows, such as Anthony Bourdain.  For a truly wonderful country touring food series, we strongly suggest watching "Somebody, feed Phil". 

While we are not "ready to head back to Italy", we hope to be able to take the  "Food & Wines of Piedmont, Liguria, & Veneto with Cinque Terre" tour we had booked for last Fall.

Hi friends😃 I wasn't expecting an Anthony Bourdain type of show.  But he was truly one of 

a kind.  I really enjoyed this one and I heard him give an interview about a week or so ago.....

part of this series was filmed before the Virus and part of it came after.  

I finally got a new bed today! Got a Sealy Posturepedic on an adjustable base........

First time I have ever had one of these😀 should be delivered in about 3 weeks.

I am happy🙂

It is called "Briar Rose Firm".......I like a firm mattress and this is innerspring 

because I really don't like memory foam although I know it is very popular.

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

I finally got a new bed today! Got a Sealy Posturepedic on an adjustable base........ First time I have ever had one of these😀 should be delivered in about 3 weeks.  I am happy.   It is called "Briar Rose Firm".......I like a firm mattress and this is innerspring because I really don't like memory foam although I know it is very popular.

Let us know, Lois, how this new bed and base work out.  Sounds interesting.  Have never tried one of those moving bases.  Does it help when watching TV in bed?

Wild weather now.  More snow to come in the next few days for the Midwest and NE.  Looking at Texas, not having electricity does suck!!  Especially when it is so super cold and certain of the generating equipment freezes up. 

1496055688_ScreenShot2021-02-17at9_29_19AM.thumb.png.bec955b0ab0e1afefcdf02df48c6c75a.png

1642916129_ScreenShot2021-02-17at9_29_32AM.png.84389ad198acfba9dda05da497915bc5.png

It is just not large portions of the U.S. and Canada that are getting hit with snow, cold and ice.  

From the Associated Press/AP newswire yesterday, they had this headline: “In Athens, rare snow blankets Acropolis, halts vaccinations” with these highlights: “Heavy snowfall blanketed the Acropolis and other ancient monuments in Athens, caused power cuts and halted COVID-19 vaccinations in the Greek capital on Tuesday as the weather brought many services across the country to a standstill.  Greek media reported that three deaths in separate parts of the country were linked with the bad weather.The snow, an unusual sight in the Greek capital of more than 3 million residents, also stopped most public transport services. Hundreds of toppled trees downed power cables, causing blackouts in several suburbs, while one area on the city’s northern fringes was declared in a state of emergency for the next month.”

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/article/snow-blankets-athens-halts-vaccinations-be193363451279cc4d105d025d0fb2b6

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 37,374 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

From the AP, here is their visual for how the snow looked when covering the famed and historic Acropolis.  Have great memories from twice visiting Athens.  Cannot, however, image the snow covering this part of the world.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

234744981_ScreenShot2021-02-17at10_01_26AM.thumb.png.0d25f0ed78a3dba95d08710f39d6f2c2.png