Free tote bags

buddymum

The discontinued the nice canvas one in full suites, another amenity chizeled away. In May they ran out of the thin blue ones on our cruise so it's not to be counted on.

We got the thin blue one in our suite in April...same as we got in an inside stateroom on our previous cruise. Previous was a B2B; we only got one on the first leg. It really does seem sporadic.

If princess wants to save some money, eliminating those bags would be a good place to start.

"Free" (after accounting for the $0.20 that PCL probably pays per piece) advertising. And free advertising is the best kind. As more and more people eschew bags at grocery stores, you are going to see more and more of these toted around. I'm not going to put heavy cans of tomato puree in these bags. But they are great for fruits and vegetables. I would argue that as reusable bags become more of a "thing", there is less reason now for Princess to stop distributing these bags than ever before. Indeed, were I in charge, I would slip a little piece of paper in or on top of each bag when it is placed on the bed that reads:

Please consider using this bag for your shopping needs while on this cruise, and again when you get back home. You will be helping the environment and will give yourself a pleasant reminder of your cruise! And if you ever need more bags, you know where to find us!

" I would argue that as reusable bags become more of a "thing", there is less reason now for Princess to stop distributing these bags than ever before.

My local supermarket sells nicer bags (with an insert to keep the bottom flat while loading)

for 3-bags for a dollar.

If I need the princess bag because I can't afford $0.33, I should probably skip the cruise.

We got them on the Regal a couple weeks ago. I use them if I have extra stuff to carry that won't fit in my purse (i.e. umbrella, maps, water bottles, etc) and especially if it's raining because I don't care if it gets ruined....but they actually do a good job of keeping stuff dry even if part of it can't fit under my umbrella.

My local supermarket sells nicer bags (with an insert to keep the bottom flat while loading)

for 3-bags for a dollar.

No one ever said that the tote bags are "nicer". They are free, and have some utility. I probably have 10 or so bags in my trunk right now. I could, were I so inclined, line them up in a hierarchical order of "nicest" to "least nice", and then only use the "nicest" one. But I don't. I grab whichever bags I think might work for my purchasing needs and get on with it. My Princess bags are: 1.) decidedly "nicer" than the flimsy plastic bags that grocery stores have on a roll in the produce section; 2.) nicer than the flimsy plastic bags that grocery stores have at the checkout counter; and 3.) less nice than several of the reusable bags that I have purchased or acquired else-wise. Just because they fail #3 doesn't mean that they aren't useful as replacements for #s 1 and 2.

If I need the princess bag because I can't afford $0.33, I should probably skip the cruise.

"Need" has nothing to do with it when you are the giver. No one has ever gone on a cruise for the sole purpose of obtaining a bag. Your point only makes sense if the bags are completely, totally, incontestably, useless. As long as they have even a tiny bit of utility, then it makes sense (to the giver) to give them away. The mere fact that they will hold a couple of pool towels and a bathing suit cover-up (taken ashore while on your cruise, or at your neighborhood pool club) proves their utility and establishes the benefit of free advertising. Princess doesn't need everyone to use their bags in public. If they get 2% visibility from them, they are way ahead when applying the law of big numbers.

It appears they are still a company standard but it also looks like consistently that people randomly don't get one. My guess would be that the stewards ran out or there weren't any available when he loaded his cart. Some small reason. So if you don't have one you can probably ask for one. I'm actually using one of mine today as I have to a change of clothes to work and I work in the kitchen and I don't want any of my good bags to get dirty LOL. They are great for stuff like that.

i am going on the first princess cruise in about 2 months. does everyone get it or do you need a certain level for it?
No everyone gets one, they're great for throwing a few things in to take off the ship with you or to go to the pool. They are like the reusable shopping bags that you find at the grocery store but they won't have an insert to the bottom and they're a little more rectangle horizontally then up and down. They are a little bit smaller than those reusable bags.

I asked the question originally because if they are still issued I would not bother to take one the ones I already have. I find them extremely useful. I just fold them up and put them at the bottom of my handbag. They are great when you are on the ship.

I find them useful on a beach day. I put the towels in them, and if I take extra shoes for returning to the ship, I put the sandy towels and shoes it it, this way my back pack doesn't get full of sand, then when I get home, I wash them and use them for grocery shopping.

I find them useful on a beach day. I put the towels in them, and if I take extra shoes for returning to the ship, I put the sandy towels and shoes it it, this way my back pack doesn't get full of sand, then when I get home, I wash them and use them for grocery shopping.

How do you wash them?

How do you wash them?

Toss em in the washer, dryer...they come out fine. If there is a bottom, of course take it out, but it will not be as starchy as new, but put the bottom back in and it will be fine for the groceries