Salad Dressing

geocruiser

The passed couple of years, I have been addicted to green goddess salad dressing on Regal Princess. Is it just me? Or does any one else love it too. It took me a while to try it. But once I ate it, there was no turning back!

So, do you like it? If not what is your favorite salad dressing on Princess?

honey mustard for me!

now i have to google green goddess to see what's in it.

edit: you lost me at anchovy. yuck.

then again, i'll try almost anything once. a cruise is the perfect place to try a smidge.

honey mustard for me!

then again, i'll try almost anything once. a cruise is the perfect place to try a smidge.

I know, I saw that too. But I have never tasted the anchovy in it. I googled the recipe and some have it in it and others don't. I will have to ask, when I am on board in Dec. Thank goodness it doesn't have shell fish in it. That would have been my last meal!!

honey mustard for me!

Do you eat caesar salad? It also has anchovy.....

I know, I saw that too. But I have never tasted the anchovy in it. I googled the recipe and some have it in it and others don't. I will have to ask, when I am on board in Dec. Thank goodness it doesn't have shell fish in it. That would have been my last meal!!

yikes! i sure wouldn't want my last meal to be anything green.

i know the original home-made kind does. mine does not.... i remember when princess would make it tableside...

This dressing was very popular in the 1980's Green Goddess Salad Dressing can be made several ways. Here is a simple one they should taste very close to the dressing on Princess Cruise Lines

• 2 teaspoons anchovy paste or 2-4 canned anchovies (Depending on your taste, can always add more once made, so start with 2)
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped tarragon
  • 3 Tbsp chopped chives
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • Salt and black pepper to taste

Place everything but the salt and peeper in food food processor (I use hand blenders) and mix well. The anchovies are high in salt so best to add salt and pepper at the end, white pepper will look better and more pleasing but can use black.

It can also be made without the mayo, the first versions of this had sour cream and or yogurt with Dijon mustard and egg yolk.

The passed couple of years, I have been addicted to green goddess salad dressing on Regal Princess. Is it just me? Or does any one else love it too. It took me a while to try it. But once I ate it, there was no turning back!

So, do you like it? If not what is your favorite salad dressing on Princess?

I love it too so was glad to see it on the Regal earlier this year. Hoping it is on the Crown too as we board next week :D

Ah yes the much maligned anchovy. Puttanesca and carbonara are two of my favorite Italian sauces made with them. Lots of folk think they don't like them, but end up liking the results of using them. I think it might be a visual thing. I order my ceasar salad with anchovy. The good wait staff typically put a couple or four right there on top.

Anchovy is a umami flavor - like soy, sundried tomatoes, and Parmesan. If you like those rich, salty, deep flavors, odds are you will like them. When used properly IN a recipe (as say opposed to pizza topped with them) you don't taste fish but rather a depth of flavor.

Anchovy is a umami flavor - like soy, sundried tomatoes, and Parmesan. If you like those rich, salty, deep flavors, odds are you will like them. When used properly IN a recipe (as say opposed to pizza topped with them) you don't taste fish but rather a depth of flavor.

Yup, +1

Princess Salad dressings use to be better many years ago but they have cut corners (like many things) these days.

The honey mustard use to be outstanding but after the cutbacks with the use of cheaper ingredients it is now just"good".

A long time ago, they had a truly amazing dressing called limoncello. Sadly, the quality of ingredients have now rendered the salad dressing as "very good" from previously "amazing". What's also frustrating, that dressing is only available occasionally on Regal, Royal, and ships that do itineraries 14 days or longer (I last spotted it on Golden last fall to Hawaii from LA as well as Star 2 years ago). When they do offer limoncello dressing at the buffet, I usually take back many bowls back to the cabin refrigerator to enjoy for the remainder of the cruise

I am pleased to report that the shallot vinagrette has remained faithfully wonderful the last 15 years without a change in recipe. Like the limoncello, it is available only on the newer Regal and Royal Princess and on the longer cruiseships of Golden and Star (in my experience).

I know it sounds crazy paying attention to salad dressings but I do pay attention to food wherever I go.

Princess Salad dressings use to be better many years ago but they have cut corners (like many things) these days.

The honey mustard use to be outstanding but after the cutbacks with the use of cheaper ingredients it is now just"good".

A long time ago, they had a truly amazing dressing called limoncello. Sadly, the quality of ingredients have now rendered the salad dressing as "very good" from previously "amazing". What's also frustrating, that dressing is only available occasionally on Regal, Royal, and ships that do itineraries 14 days or longer (I last spotted it on Golden last fall to Hawaii from LA as well as Star 2 years ago). When they do offer limoncello dressing at the buffet, I usually take back many bowls back to the cabin refrigerator to enjoy for the remainder of the cruise

I am pleased to report that the shallot vinagrette has remained faithfully wonderful the last 15 years without a change in recipe. Like the limoncello, it is available only on the newer Regal and Royal Princess and on the longer cruiseships of Golden and Star (in my experience).

I know it sounds crazy paying attention to salad dressings but I do pay attention to food wherever I go.

I agree. The dressings used to be so good, and they used to have one or two different dressings at dinner. Now it's the same dressings every night which gets to be a drag on long cruises. Usually at lunch they vary the dressings, but there never available in the mdr. The limoncello is one of my favorites, and they used to have a delicious roasted red pepper dressing which was my all time favorite.