Do you need letter for taking granddaughter without the parent on cruise?

phabric

My cabin mate will be bring her granddaughter on our cruise.

A few years ago, someone had posted a letter they used when they took their grandchild or child (divorced/single parent) on a cruise without the parents.

Is a letter still needed? What information is needed in the Letter?

Yes, you will want documentation. Some cruise lines have specific forms, others do not...but to be safe, you want a document signed by both parents if possible that gives permission for grandma to take the child outside of the US and to make any necessary medical or legal decisions on her behalf during the period (specify dates of vacation). It doesn't have to be fancy, just cover the bases.

• The name of the parent(s).
  • Consent from the parent(s) to allow their child(ren) to travel with their grandparents. This should also include all children's full names and ages.
  • The name of the grandparent(s).
  • The general travel destination(s).
  • The travel period from departure to date of return. Add a few days before and after in case of any travel changes.
  • The signature of the parent(s) and the date.
  • Contact information for the parent, including the full address and any major phone numbers.
  • The name of the notary and the date notarized.

Please google the subject as there are many hints. Like do you have the child’s medical insurance card, medications?

Travel Documents Needed for Grandchildren

Also contact Princess for additional needed items.

My cabin mate will be bring her granddaughter on our cruise.

A few years ago, someone had posted a letter they used when they took their grandchild or child (divorced/single parent) on a cruise without the parents.

Is a letter still needed? What information is needed in the Letter?

https://de.usembassy.gov/visas/travel-tourism/travelers-faqs/children-traveling-with-one-parent-or-with-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or-legal-guardian/

I suggest you go the the US Customs website. I am in the private air charter business. For all our flights when children under 18 are traveling without both parents, we require a notarized statement giving permission for the child to travel outside the US from their legal guardian. When we send our passenger manifest to Customs for departure clearance 24 hours in advance, we send a copy of the statement. I forgot one trip to send a copy and 30 minutes after filing our outbound clearance, the Port Inspector called asking about the minor. Their information pulls up each passengers background info. They could tell the parents were not on the flight, minor was traveling with her best friends family. Also have the same document allow you to authorize any medical treatment during the trip.

You would not want to be denied boarding for not having a simple notarized permission paper.

If someone is traveling out of the country with a child that is not theirs one should always have written consent to travel from both the parents.

We had to provide this with our niece when we drove from Seattle to Vancouver at the border and requested by Princess reps as we checked in on our cruise at Canada Place.

Yes, you need this. Some cruise lines have a form you can download, fill out and have the parent's signature notarized. You can also google this and find several versions to print off.

Some of the posts above give the guidelines as to what to include on the letter in case you want to make your own.

And do get the medical permission also. We needed the letters to board, through immigration and to sign the children up for some activities, such as the rock wall.

We needed only the form from the cruise line, but it never hurts to have a more comprehensive document giving the grands permission to make all decisions for the child as well as to take him/her out of the country. If no one asks to see it, no big deal. That's a lot better than being denied boarding or medical treatment (non-emergent) because you didn't have it!

We took our 9 year old grandson to Alaska. His parents were going through a divorce which made things even trickier. I had a letters from both my daughter and my grandson's father. I used a notary on my daughter's letter. The letters also gave us permission to OK medical procedures if needed. If I remember correctly, I was concern about the Canadian entry than the US embarkation. . However, no one in San Francisco or Victoria asked for any letters. The letters were basically unused. That being said if I was doing a similar cruise I would have those letters just in case.

We took our 9 year old grandson to Alaska. His parents were going through a divorce which made things even trickier. I had a letters from both my daughter and my grandson's father. I used a notary on my daughter's letter. The letters also gave us permission to OK medical procedures if needed. If I remember correctly, I was concern about the Canadian entry than the US embarkation. . However, no one in San Francisco or Victoria asked for any letters. The letters were basically unused. That being said if I was doing a similar cruise I would have those letters just in case.

When we came back from AK through Canadian customs, they asked for the letter. They also asked my granddaughter who we were. Just make sure that any papers that you have about your granddaughter are signed and notarized. Just signing might not be enough.

DON