Delay exiting Reflection 08/10/18

RickT

Left the Reflection today after a fantastic 11 day cruise. Left the ship approx 7:00 AM to meet for an 8:00 AM shuttle. All was going well until we rounded the corner and saw the aisle and stairs backed up. Took me an extra 20 minutes to get to the baggage area and from the size of the crowd (and a few loud voices) I assume others were delayed by 30-45 minutes.

Anyone know the reason?

What port? Some countries are prone to strikes or workers slow downs.

Dont quote me but Reflection seems to be cruising out of Civitavecchia, Italy. We did have Reflection booked for this summer, but changed to Eclipse out of Barcelona to cruise with friends in Oct.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info

The port was Civitavecchia, I didn’t mention it as I figure someone on the cruise may have heard was it was. Perhaps it was a strike but given it was less than an hour I’m thinking it might have been a security or perhaps staffing issue.

Leaving a ship in the EU after a Europe cruise is always easier than in America after an America cruise as there is no immigration procedure. The main issue is that more and more people go for the early debarkation by carrying their bags. Many are not able to do this fast and easy and also have too many bags to carry. This creates chaos and long lines already on the ship. It is not the port or port staff in most cases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the same (fantastic) 11 day cruise, and had a Celebrity transfer to FCO that had a departure time of 9:30, but we were off the ship at 9:00! As a matter of fact some of the transfer busses had not even arrived yet. So the delay the OP experienced did not last long.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The port was Civitavecchia, I didn’t mention it as I figure someone on the cruise may have heard was it was. Perhaps it was a strike but given it was less than an hour I’m thinking it might have been a security or perhaps staffing issue.

I was on the same cruise; the MC host mentioned that there was a delay in getting the ship cleared due to understaffing at the port (not by Celebrity) which caused them to start disembarkation a little later than usual, and by the time they did all the self-disembark guests were backed up, but they still had to call the people with port/airline transfers, so it got even more backed up.

I like Italy, but Civitavecchia can sometimes be a pain.

We are on the Reflection Oct. 1 and would love any of you to give a review of your cruises.

It is always so exciting to read about the ship as you are counting down the days to go on it.

Do you feel that it would be necessary to self disembark if you have a transport at 7:30a.m.??? Our cruise ports at 5:00a.m. in Civitavecchia so thought maybe could do the regular disembarkation, but would love advice!

Glad you all had a great cruise!

We are on the Reflection Oct. 1 and would love any of you to give a review of your cruises.

It is always so exciting to read about the ship as you are counting down the days to go on it.

Do you feel that it would be necessary to self disembark if you have a transport at 7:30a.m.??? Our cruise ports at 5:00a.m. in Civitavecchia so thought maybe could do the regular disembarkation, but would love advice!

Glad you all had a great cruise!

If you have specific questions I would be happy to answer them. As far as needing to self disembark if you have a 7:30 AM transport I would say yes. The self disembark group left between 6:45 and 7:00 which would easily get you to your shuttle for 7:30. We had an 8:00 AM shuttle and left the ship at 7:00 and didn't make it outside until 7:45. If we had not been delayed we would have been out by 7:30 but that is cutting it a little tight IMHO.

We were on the July 9 sailing of the Reflection and had a 7:00 pickup so did walk off, and the ship was not cleared until about 6:55. Folks were brought downstairs and were standing around from about 6:30 so it got pretty packed. I expect at 7 there was a similar backlog to what the OP experienced. But as you simply walk off the ship, I expect it moved pretty quickly behind us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk