Very Brief Cruise review - Ruby Princess - Aug 4-11

RandallFlagg

Okay - let's start this off from the beginning, shall we?

Frontier Airlines - Never EVER fly this miserable excuse for an Airline! 3 hours late for take off (security checks) :D But I believe that there was a flat tire on the aircraft. How this airline remains in business is a mystery to me, but I suppose that this is "flying" in this day and age. Finally got to Seattle at 9PM.

Hotel Theodore - Seattle - Beautiful hotel in the heart of Seattle. Although we were late arriving, our driver waited for several hours, picked us up and dropped us off nicely. The Hotel itself is newly remodeled and very, very nice and I cannot recommend it enough. I would caution anyone, however, to watch the restaurants - VERY pricey! but surprisingly good! :D

Embarkation - The embarkation was effortless. The staff at pier 91 was as professional and as courteous to us FIRST TIME CRUISERS as they could be and patiently walked us through each step with ease. We boarded quickly but had to wait for an hour or two on the ship for luggage - no big deal, right? We were ON OUR WAY!!! :D

Ruby Princess - After boarding we were directed to the buffet for "lunch". :D No big deal, Thankfully we had just finished a delicious breakfast BEFORE boarding. We were allowed into our rooms about an hour later and our luggage arrived about 2 hours after that. Balcony Stateroom was nice (C231) but nothing overwhelming. Our steward (sorry can't recall his name) was a complete professional and greeted us each day with a smile. I would say that 100% of the staff were as professional and polite as they could possibly be. Not one complaint. Great job guys!

Dining - This is my major complaint. The "food" was tolerable and nothing more. The food in the Horizon Court buffet was horrendous - tasteless and basically the same day after day after day. The MDR was (again) nothing to write home about. These are supposed "Chefs" - and if that's the case, I am a CIA trained Chef (which I am not). Even the Crown Grill (8/5) was less than "great". You can get the same steak at most local eateries in any hometown. Those who have complained about the Pizza onboard are 100% RIGHT most god-awful pizza I have ever eaten. On the other hand, the Trident Grill (hamburgers, hotdogs, brats) was actually fairly good. The International Cafe was the same. Same tasteless food. I will add, however, that my "soda and more" card that was on the Cruise Card (as well as the coffee card) worked effortlessly and the staff never had a problem filling my "mug" several times a day with soda. One thing I would add, however, is that the coffee in the dining rooms and the buffets was nowhere as bad as many have complained about.I drank it many times and saw nothing "wrong" with it.

The Cruise - We left Seattle and headed North to rolling seas that night - or so I'm told :D Slept through the night on a wonderful bed - I understand that these are "new" - I WANT ONE! Arrived in Juneau the next morning to heavy fog and rain. Our Helicopter and Dog Sledding excursion was cancelled (the purpose of the trip for my Wife). I completely understood and agreed with the decision NOT to fly in that weather. Did a little shopping and headed back to the ship, a little bummed, but with the understanding that we had another dog sledding excursion scheduled the next day for Skagway. Nope. The next morning we are informed by the Captain that it was too "windy" to dock in Skagway so we would be just "sailing" the inside passage. So, we sailed around and around for the next 18 hours. Next day - Glacier Bay. About as "underwhelming" as watching grass grow. Nothing more to say about that - except that the weather for that was rain and fog. Next day - Ketchikan. Heavy Rain. I mean HEAVY rain. I'm an old Army Infantryman. HEAVY rain. Finished our "shopping" and returned to the ship, soaked to the bone. Played childish games in the atrium for the rest of the day, attended a ridiculous "art auction" and my Wife was kind enough to purchase a nice Citizen Eco-Drive Watch for me in the Jewelry store. Back to Seattle.

Debarkation - Again, effortless. Left the stateroom at 8AM and was off the ship by 9AM and headed to the Airport by 10AM. Absolutely no complaints, very professional considering they are dealing with over 3,000 folks!

Bottom line? This was our first cruise and will be our last. In my opinion, (and ONLY my opinion), We spent a great deal of money for (what we feel) was a wasted effort. Granted, no one can control the weather and that's a given. But for the amount invested in this "cruise" (or what I overheard one man say - a "comfortable prison") - there are much, much better alternatives. We are already planning our next adventure - flying into Alaska, staying in hotels and accomplishing what we want without the constraints of a "ship". Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

We have sailed the Ruby many times.

We loved our cruises on her.

As stated many times and in many places here on CC

"food is subjective".

Some like cruising and some don't, there is no in between.

Good luck in your land adventures. :)

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

We have sailed the Ruby many times.

We loved our cruises on her.

As stated many times and in many places here on CC

"food is subjective".

Some like cruising and some don't, there is no in between.

Good luck in your land adventures. :)

Ditto

How disappointing for you and your wife. :( The Ruby is trialing new menus. I was on her in April and did not care for the new menus. I have eaten at the Crown Grill many times, but after the last time on the Ruby, I haven't been back Our steaks were terrible.

Maybe a different ship or itinerary? My family and I did a 10-day Alaska on the Grand in July. We had great weather. We also had a lovely Italian dinner in Sabatini's.

By all means, plan a land trip to Alaska, but I wouldn't write-off cruising based on one bad experience.

RandallFlagg—I’d be really disappointed, too, if the weather was that bad in Alaska that you couldn’t do your planned excursions. A bucket list item gone wrong! I understand it’s always iffy in any port anywhere (long time cruiser on many lines with many itineraries). But I’m really sympathetic! My in laws had a similar experience weather wise on their Alaska cruise a long time ago, and they never went back, although they kept Princess cruising, just to warmer climates. Last year DH and I were lucky on our Coral Princess Alaska cruise in early May. The weather was good in each of the ports, mild rain at times, cleared quickly—Glacier Bay was foggy but amazing!

However, for a first cruise with bad weather and what you felt was bad food, I can understand not wanting to cruise again. I was disappointed in the food at the Horizon Court a year ago, on both Coral and Ruby—the MDR was okay on both, and Sabatini’s and Bayou Cafe (Coral) were excellent. Enjoy your next Alaska trip! Hope the weather cooperates more!

RandallFlagg—I’d be really disappointed, too, if the weather was that bad in Alaska that you couldn’t do your planned excursions. A bucket list item gone wrong! I understand it’s always iffy in any port anywhere (long time cruiser on many lines with many itineraries). But I’m really sympathetic! My in laws had a similar experience weather wise on their Alaska cruise a long time ago, and they never went back, although they kept Princess cruising, just to warmer climates. Last year DH and I were lucky on our Coral Princess Alaska cruise in early May. The weather was good in each of the ports, mild rain at times, cleared quickly—Glacier Bay was foggy but amazing!

However, for a first cruise with bad weather and what you felt was bad food, I can understand not wanting to cruise again. I was disappointed in the food at the Horizon Court a year ago, on both Coral and Ruby—the MDR was okay on both, and Sabatini’s and Bayou Cafe (Coral) were excellent. Enjoy your next Alaska trip! Hope the weather cooperates more!

Thanks so much! I expressed my opinions and ONLY my opinions. I have no doubt that there are those that enjoy "cruising" but it isn't for us. We tried it and (for us) it doesn't work. In other words - we will never be "elite" :D

We will stick to "land" vacations and leave the "paper airplanes through the hoola-hoop" games to the long time cruisers.. :eek::eek:

We've got more than enough time to return to Alaska and do it "right" next time. Here's hoping that all of you have a great time on your next "cruise".

My husband feels the exact same way about cruising. It’s sad because I absolutely love it. He will compromise and take me on a cruise for a special anniversary or my birthday, but it is super hard for him to try and enjoy it.

There are plenty of people who do not enjoy cruising.

Randall -- Thanks very much for your review. I guess that the only way to find out that cruising is not your thing, is to try it once. Alaska can be cold and rainy, but it also can be spectacular. I hope you are able to visit Alaska in the way that best suits you, and that you have a wonderful vacation when you do so. :)Happy traveling, from EBC.

Arrived in Juneau the next morning to heavy fog and rain. Our Helicopter and Dog Sledding excursion was cancelled (the purpose of the trip for my Wife).

I completely understood and agreed with the decision NOT to fly in that weather. Did a little shopping and headed back to the ship, a little bummed, but with the understanding that we had another dog sledding excursion scheduled the next day for Skagway. Nope. The next morning we are informed by the Captain that it was too "windy" to dock in Skagway so we would be just "sailing" the inside passage. So, we sailed around and around for the next 18 hours.

Next day - Glacier Bay. About as "underwhelming" as watching grass grow. Nothing more to say about that - except that the weather for that was rain and fog.

Next day - Ketchikan. Heavy Rain. I mean HEAVY rain.

Thanks for your honest report.

Three ports and scenic sailing all ruined by weather. I would also be turned off from cruising if that was my first experience, seven days on a ship to essentially nowhere.

Alaska weather is very changeable. If you had taken this cruise a different week it might have been perfect weather in every port, although Ketchikan is infamous for having rain.

We did an Alaska cruise (Whittier to Vancouver) the same time of year, August 8-15, several years ago. We only had rain in one port (Ketchikan) and it was picture perfect in Glacier Bay. I am sorry your cruise did not have the same good weather we had.

Bottom line? This was our first cruise and will be our last. In my opinion, (and ONLY my opinion), We spent a great deal of money for (what we feel) was a wasted effort. Granted, no one can control the weather and that's a given. But for the amount invested in this "cruise" (or what I overheard one man say - a "comfortable prison") - there are much, much better alternatives. We are already planning our next adventure - flying into Alaska, staying in hotels and accomplishing what we want without the constraints of a "ship". Live and learn, I guess.

I had an awful first cruise to Alaska (not first cruise). It rained heavily, was foggy the entire time, and much of the rain had sleet with it so it hit your face and stung. They sold out of jackets onboard (who would have thought this was possible). There was about 2 minutes one day that I realized how beautiful Alaska was if the weather was decent.

Long story - I came home and researched weather in Alaska. I realized that May had the least amount of rain with every month having more rain with September having the most. I booked May the following year. I have been back many times and mostly go in May/June.

I hope you have a great land trip to Alaska. Alaska really is gorgeous when the weather is great.