Drink Package NOT!

tugboat

What if know one bought the drink package up to three weeks before the cruise.

Do you think RCL would reduce the package below $35.00per day just to sell something. I feel they make money with selling the package at $30.00 a day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't imagine that ever happening. The principals of supply and demand just don't work that way. Price goes down demand goes up. My suspicion is that at current prices they sell a sufficient amount and when the start to discount they reach a certain saturation point where any further discount provides them with no increase in volume. I'm pretty sure they are paying some accountants to figure these various price points out.

Do you think RCL would reduce the package below $35.00per day just to sell something. I feel they make money with selling the package at $30.00 a day.

That just doesn’t happen. The drink packages sell well in pretty much all markets except Asia

There are so many variables that I wouldn't even guess at what price point they turn a profit on the packages (because first of all it's going to depend heavily on how each consumer uses it). As soon as they offer it at a price I'm comfortable paying I'll buy it and that price is going to vary depending on how far away the cruise is.

Least expensive we ever paid was $27.50 per day, during that short time they were giving a 50% discount onboard.

There will always be enough people pre-purchasing it because they want to not have to think about it, even if it makes no financial sense to do so. RCI knows what their break even point is and what number they want to average from each package so they won't go below a pre-set number and I guarantee it's not $30/day.

Also, having been on a ship (Celebrity Summit) where almost everyone had a "free" drink package, you hit a number that makes it difficult at times to even get a drink and if people are paying for it, it wouldn't go over well to have to deal with that. They want people to think they have some exclusivity by having something not everyone has and at $30/day that would become an issue.

There will always be enough people pre-purchasing it because they want to not have to think about it, even if it makes no financial sense to do so. RCI knows what their break even point is and what number they want to average from each package so they won't go below a pre-set number and I guarantee it's not $30/day.

Also, having been on a ship (Celebrity Summit) where almost everyone had a "free" drink package, you hit a number that makes it difficult at times to even get a drink and if people are paying for it, it wouldn't go over well to have to deal with that. They want people to think they have some exclusivity by having something not everyone has and at $30/day that would become an issue.

That’s my whole point if people weren’t so eager to book RCL would to tend to lower the price. But if 1/3 of ship books the package 6 months from sailing what’s the point in reducing the price

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s my whole point if people weren’t so eager to book RCL would to tend to lower the price. But if 1/3 of ship books the package 6 months from sailing what’s the point in reducing the price

I don't think that any of us can know how many people are buying it that far in advance but I'd be really surprised it's as high as 1/3.

That's true for everything, isn't it? I mean, if I could just stop everyone from buying Tesla's for a month I could get a brand new Model S for 30 grand, right? ;)

It'll never happen. Royal's pretty smart about knowing where to draw the line on purchase price. They've got it set to where they're virtually guaranteed a certain percentage of the ship will buy it.

I don't think that any of us can know how many people are buying it that far in advance but I'd be really surprised it's as high as 1/3.

I would guess 3 & 4 day cruises would be more.

The first time cruisers are more like to purchase

I find the price way too high for us. We just don't drink that much, and then mostly wine or beer.

Question; If you decide once on board, say day 3, do you pay for the full length of the cruise or just the days remaining?

If they allow you to purchase for a partial cruise, you would only pay for the remaining days. Supposedly, there must be at least 4 days left in the cruise.

I find the price way too high for us. We just don't drink that much, and then mostly wine or beer.

Question; If you decide once on board, say day 3, do you pay for the full length of the cruise or just the days remaining?

Make sure you are thinking in terms of what you will be paying for each drink without a package. It doesn't take many drinks to get up to the daily price point of the discounted package. And then you have the freedom to enjoy numerous other sorts of beverages, eiother a variety of alcoholic ones, or various specialty teas and coffees, juices, sodas, etc.

When I first started cruising back in the 1980's, I could buy mixed drinks aboard ships for around $2.60, including gratuity. But today that same drink is typically more like $13.00 including gratuity. Just 3 drinks, a soda and maybe a specialty coffee brings me to the daily cost of having the drink package.

Make sure you are thinking in terms of what you will be paying for each drink without a package. It doesn't take many drinks to get up to the daily price point of the discounted package. And then you have the freedom to enjoy numerous other sorts of beverages, eiother a variety of alcoholic ones, or various specialty teas and coffees, juices, sodas, etc.

When I first started cruising back in the 1980's, I could buy mixed drinks aboard ships for around $2.60, including gratuity. But today that same drink is typically more like $13.00 including gratuity. Just 3 drinks, a soda and maybe a specialty coffee brings me to the daily cost of having the drink package.

My wife likes to get a latte with a shot of Kahlua after dinner. Plus bottled water throughout the day. Those things add up even before you consider all those frozen cocktails at the pool.

If you're not a drinker then it doesn't make any sense but if you have more than a few drinks a day then it's pretty easy to get your moneys worth.

For October, I was lucky to get $42/day, with gratitude $49.50/day. For me it’s a mimosa with breakfast, wine with lunch and dinner, sparkling water with dinner and I’ve broke even. I will really make it worth it with the bottles of water when I’m walking off the ship in port or if I want a smoothie from Vitality. Or if I’m feeling thirsty for a vodka tonic at the comedy show 🤷🏼*♂️

I think for under $50/day, I would probably buy the drink package.