Boarding Time Southampton?

capegirl

I still fail to understand the issues of traffic etc.

It‘s just a one hour hop from Hamburg to London for us, but we would not take chances - we always stay the night before in Southampton - or NYC etc.

So you take no chances when flying from Germany, and yet fail to understand why people driving from other parts other UK adopt the same approach and also take no chances ?

You are allowing plenty of time when flying and equally those driving also allow plenty of time.

So, we need free embarkation time for:

- People that come thru Heathrow

- people that are dropped off by friends that can't make it othertime

- People that can't stay longer than 12:00 in their hotels

- People that are driving 3 hours and more

- People that are new on QM2 and want to maximise their time on board

I just want to collect reasons why the suggested boarding times don't apply so that we can then suggest Cunard to create a priority line.

Thank you!

That said: One of the things that amazes me everytime on a TA crossing are the people that are mainly not as pushy as on other cruises. They are more considerate.

Wish that would apply to the time before being on board.

Like it!

Next set of posters (Sine) will complain "they" have not been allocated a priority queue, and require one.

And embark early and add to the chaos for passengers and crew : cheers

Here's a question:

Are you retired or still at work ?

I'm still at work, so arriving the day before would mean:

a) Another £150 expense

b) More importantly, an extra day taken of my annual leave allowance.

Why should I, and plenty of others, have to incur extra costs and lose a days holiday ? No thanks.

Here's a question:

a) Another £150 expense

Why should I, and plenty of others, have to incur extra costs and lose a days holiday ? No thanks.

Both working long and hard.

as for a. and b.

If you ask every single early-embarker, every single one of them may have a good reason why they don't stick to the sheduled embarkation time.

But that selfish behaviour (sorry, I can't call it differently) leads to:

1. Added passenger numbers to those who embark on time

2. Added stress to crew (many of them walk straight to their cabin and bother the stressed out stewards and other staff for example).

As for the money aspect: I am from Stuttgart, we have the image to be similarly difficult with money like your Scotsmen. You should not believe that I easily spend GBP 150,-- additionally.

But I do.

Edited by Yoshikitty

Here's a question:

a) Another £150 expense

I wonder if you will think that way if you are ever so held up you miss the cruise. £150 seems a small amount to safeguard the £5,000 or so that the cruise costs. Although now retired, when working we always travelled down the day before even using a day of my annual leave.

So, we need free embarkation time for:

- People that come thru Heathrow

- people that are dropped off by friends that can't make it othertime

- People that can't stay longer than 12:00 in their hotels

- People that are driving 3 hours and more

- People that are new on QM2 and want to maximise their time on board

I just want to collect reasons why the suggested boarding times don't apply so that we can then suggest Cunard to create a priority line.

Thank you!

That said: One of the things that amazes me everytime on a TA crossing are the people that are mainly not as pushy as on other cruises. They are more considerate.

Wish that would apply to the time before being on board.

So we can add the list now with:

- working people that don't want to/ can't spend a holiday to arrive early. Let the retired wait longer!

- people that can't afford the hotel stay and additional catering

Here's a question:

a) Another £150 expense

Retired or working is immaterial.

Arriving the evening before does not require an "extra day".

Accommodation and Parking may not require £150.00

Edited by PORT ROYAL
predictive

It seems to be getting heated.

I see no reason against people arriving earlier , there are many good reasons for some to do so.

as long as

1) There is a separate queue for early arrivals, both for boarding and luggage drop off, that slots them in only when ontime arrivals have been dealt with.

2) They Are happy to sit and wait for their allotted boarding time , accepting that early boarding is a bonus not a right.

3) Don't keep bothering the Staff whilst waiting

4) Cunard puts aside a separate space for early arrivals, for example those more than 30 minutes early, to wait, thus avoiding chaos.

This all requires a bit of management by Cunard and patience by early arrivals .

I see no reason against people arriving earlier , there are many good reasons for some to do so.

as long as

1) There is a separate queue for early arrivals, both for boarding and luggage drop off, that slots them in only when ontime arrivals have been dealt with.

2) They Are happy to sit and wait for their allotted boarding time , accepting that early boarding is a bonus not a right.

4) Cunard puts aside a separate space for early arrivals, for example those more than 30 minutes early, to wait, thus avoiding chaos.

This all requires a bit of management by Cunard and patience by early arrivals .

Very interesting but you have forgotten one group, those who arrive late.

Perhaps they should also be forced to join the 'failure to arrive on time queue' you propose that slots them in only when ontime arrivals have been dealt with.

I suppose unfortunately for these late arrivals they could be stuck in that queue until just before departure, whereas the early arrivals can break out of the queue if they are still there when their scheduled arrival time comes up.

We were not sailing with Cunard in the 90's, but on P&O, they did not even open the doors of embarkation until midday, and after checking in it was a minimum 2 hour wait in the lounge, anxiously waiting for 'Blue123' boarding pass to be called! And when you did board, you cabin probably was not ready! On QE last November, we had a boarding time of 12.30, but arrived at 11.30 and there appeared to be no one waiting at all and we were on her in minutes.

There is also the question of how many arrive at their stated time, many are probably not members of cruise forums and just arrive for their allocated 'slot'.

In the end, people can do as they darned well please. If their embarkation time is 12.30 pm, they can arrive as soon as the terminal opens. Their choice. But one can hardly expect Cunard or Southampton Docks to accommodate or facilitate them. Indeed, the reason for staggered arrivals is to ensure an orderly and comfortable embarkation for all. And to give the wretched staff some time to get cabins etc prepared. Ships used to have port turnarounds measured in days, now they have hours to do the same work.

From my experience, the less time spent in that garden shed of a terminal, the better. Now, the original Ocean Terminal, that art deco masterpiece, that was something special. You arrived by all reserved boat train at precisely the right time, took an escalator up with hand baggage only (checked luggage was already in the baggage wagons and went straight to your cabin) to the embarkation area and were aboard in 15-20 mins tops. And you sailed within two hours tops. But no, that was too civilised apparently and it was pulled down in 1981 to make a car park for imported motorcars.

It seems to be getting heated. .

Well, in truth it appears that only a single person seems to be getting heated, regarding what time other passengers arrive for embarkation.

If there is a problem with crowds of people arriving too early (or too late) that actually affects anybody else, then that is an issue for the aggrieved parties to raise to Cunard themselves, to request that they manage their boarding process.

Otherwise, it sounds like it has little effect one way or another on any other passengers.

2000 people on a ship and they all have to arrive at different times it seems in order for the poor staff to be able to cope. And yet plenty of planes have several hundred 100 passengers and they are not told to arrive at different times. It makes you wonder how airports manage with 1000s of people arriving constantly ? How do they do it !!??

2000 people on a ship and they all have to arrive at different times it seems in order for the poor staff to be able to cope. And yet plenty of planes have several hundred 100 passengers and they are not told to arrive at different times. It makes you wonder how airports manage with 1000s of people arriving constantly ? How do they do it !!??

Possibly because airports and planes are not having to completely clean, change all the linen and prepare 1000 cabins within six hours. Not to mention deep cleaning of public rooms etc. In addition to refuelling, have a crew lifeboat muster (usually entailing lowering the boats as well), provision and usually perform a dozen minor maintenance jobs within that time, too.

as long as

Agree 100%.

I would like to think of myself as someone who has, and has been brought up with good manners and respect for other people. So as excited as I am about this trip, I will only attempt an early embarkation in these circumstances you suggest. I appreciate the work that the staff have to get done and we need to consider them, but if someone from Cunard assures me it is fine to board early then I certainly will do! As I mentioned previously, once we've had breakfast at the Grand Harbour Hotel and checked out, there's not a lot else to do (I go to Southampton regularly with my job, in fact I had 2 hours break there today), so I certainly don't need to do any sightseeing, and although I know it's not the nicest place, but I'll happily sit in the terminal building....

Agree 100%.

I would like to think of myself as someone who has, and has been brought up with good manners and respect for other people. So as excited as I am about this trip, I will only attempt an early embarkation in these circumstances you suggest. I appreciate the work that the staff have to get done and we need to consider them, but if someone from Cunard assures me it is fine to board early then I certainly will do! As I mentioned previously, once we've had breakfast at the Grand Harbour Hotel and checked out, there's not a lot else to do (I go to Southampton regularly with my job, in fact I had 2 hours break there today), so I certainly don't need to do any sightseeing, and although I know it's not the nicest place, but I'll happily sit in the terminal building....

Grand Harbour Hotel do different offers for those staying in hotel pre cruise and whether it includes parking your car for duration of cruise or not. Transfers from hotel and checkout from midday with free tea coffee available. If you have booked direct it might be worth while to ring to ask what time check out is and how much extra you would have to pay for late check out until midday and free tea/coffee you might get it at a lower rate seeing you stayed the night or even complimentary.

From my experience, the less time spent in that garden shed of a terminal, the better. Now, the original Ocean Terminal, that art deco masterpiece, that was something special. You arrived by all reserved boat train at precisely the right time, took an escalator up with hand baggage only (checked luggage was already in the baggage wagons and went straight to your cabin) to the embarkation area and were aboard in 15-20 mins tops. And you sailed within two hours tops. But no, that was too civilised apparently and it was pulled down in 1981 to make a car park for imported motorcars.

Indeed, the original Ocean Terminal and boat trains were a civilised combination. I have fond memories of that terminal as it was there I first set foot in England in 1973. We used the boat trains many times for other lines as well, such as Union-Castle and P&O. The Western Docks were not elegant but as with the Ocean Terminal there was little waiting between the arrival of the train and embarkation. It helped that most ships were smaller and the embarkation formalities minimal, i.e. no security and no need to be photographed and register a credit card.

Restoring boat train service to and from the ships would be great, but I know that isn't going to happen. I realise there is no track to the new Ocean Terminal, but the existing track that goes to the Queen Elizabeth II terminal is close by.

It is indeed a shame that the Boat Train appears gone forever. Indeed, they no longer even run the special vintage Pullman charters anymore to the QEII terminal. These were delightful, if not cheap, and featured a full champagne luncheon at your seat, and straight from Waterloo to the quay with nary a fuss or bother.

One of the delights of the old Ocean Terminal was that jolting contrast from its Art Deco splendour to QE2's fabulous original "2001 Space Odyssey" entrance foyer, it was a mini introduction to British interior design over the past three decades all in the space of 20 mins!

So civilised, so unhurried and pleasant. Now people seem so mad keen to embark you'd think it was the last boat out of East Prussia in Feb '45.

BTW Wisconsin Travelers, there is a small cafe in the SH terminal or at least there was last May. It is located just to the left of the check-in desk against the wall by the windows. My wife and I enjoyed a split of sparkling wine and a light snack (sandwiches available). we joined a nice couple at one of the tables and waited for our boarding call. Although we arrived on the Cunard bus from Victoria London about 15 minutes before our scheduled time we had a 2 hour wait before boarding.