Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

8 minutes ago, dccruisin said:

Just FYI.   We just took advantage of paying in full early for our Carnival Rio cruise in Feb 2025.  We paid yesterday and the 10% of the cruise price OBC shows up in our online reservation today.  I found it amusing that the additional OBC was 10% down to the penny.  No rounding to whole dollars.  Linda

Maybe we should be thankful – it proves we're not dealing with the IRS!!!  🤣

• Haha 5

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

Does anyone know the current price of one Chef's Table and what type of offerings are available? Thanks!! 

Not sure, judging by the discount quoted for the package of 3 Chefs Tables, it must be $125 or thereabouts.

As I haven’t posted link to the spreadsheet for a while (tho’ it is on the first post in the topic (thank you Host Jazzbeau), here it is.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE/edit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising in 6 weeks. Our ship is docked overnight in our last port. Will we be able to disembark as early as we want on the last day? I have contacted customer service multiple times and have been told they will get me an answer but I have been waiting since March for an answer. I have had contact with multiple service reps who say they will get back to me then I get a email saying the ticket has been closed with no answer.  I had already booked a tour that departs at 7:30 am from the city center so we would need to get off the ship by 7:00 am. The last port is Edinburgh. If we can't get off by 7 I will need to cancel our tour. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

They allowed early departures from our cruise. Very early ones had to deal with getting all their luggage off the ship instead of picking up their big bags in the terminal. We also had to go through customs and immigration when we left the ship so you may need to allow some extra time. 

41 minutes ago, More trips to take said:

We are cruising in 6 weeks. Our ship is docked overnight in our last port. Will we be able to disembark as early as we want on the last day? I have contacted customer service multiple times and have been told they will get me an answer but I have been waiting since March for an answer. I have had contact with multiple service reps who say they will get back to me then I get a email saying the ticket has been closed with no answer.  I had already booked a tour that departs at 7:30 am from the city center so we would need to get off the ship by 7:00 am. The last port is Edinburgh. If we can't get off by 7 I will need to cancel our tour. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

What is your port before Edinburgh? 

Assuming you're on Quest, arriving 13 July from Aberdeen, then I can see no issues.  The ship will have been cleared by Border Force in Aberdeen or before.  Security are on duty 24x7 and you can come and go as you wish.

Azamara do not have a reputation for otherwise restricting your disembarkation, so it should all be very straightforward.

Do not assume there will be taxis waiting at the cruise terminal.  You should book one or use Uber.

https://www.taxis-edinburgh.co.uk/

https://www.citycabs.co.uk/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fruitmachine said:

Assuming you're on Quest, arriving 13 July from Aberdeen, then I can see no issues.  The ship will have been cleared by Border Force in Aberdeen or before.  Security are on duty 24x7 and you can come and go as you wish.

Azamara do not have a reputation for otherwise restricting your disembarkation, so it should all be very straightforward.

Do not assume there will be taxis waiting at the cruise terminal.  You should book one or use Uber.

https://www.taxis-edinburgh.co.uk/

https://www.citycabs.co.uk/

Make sure you tell Guest Relations as soon as you board, and don’t put your luggage out, take it off yourself.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, More trips to take said:

Leith

Leith is the port for Edinburgh. @fruitmachine has given you good information. Even if you were coming in from Amsterdam the agents would board and clear everyone on day 1 that’s what they did for us last year 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 8:38 PM, pattyj 1204 said:

Bev0426? Just wanted to suggest that DH wear some convertible pants. Shorts until you need the legs covered then you can zip the pants part on. My husband did this when we went to Rome and visited the churches. I think he got his at Bass Pro or on Amazon. They are light and comfortable with loads of pockets. Have fun on your cruise.

Columbia & REI has convertible pants. I've had them for years & love them 

On 10/5/2018 at 10:44 AM, Tom47 said:

There's only one show, 9 p.m., usually. Elite+ means Discoverer+ ,1 free laundry bag per cabin .More information on Azamara website.

But they have a DIY laundry room right? Is there a charge & do we need soap? I usually bring packaged soap - packaged like eye cleaner removal. Think it's tide & it works well.  I don't use commercial machines to dry clothes so do the walls hold magnetic hooks like Celebrity?

Just now, catspaw1 said:

But they have a DIY laundry room right? Is there a charge & do we need soap? I usually bring packaged soap - packaged like eye cleaner removal. Think it's tide & it works well.  I don't use commercial machines to dry clothes so do the walls hold magnetic hooks like Celebrity?

No charge but you have to use their provided soap. Walls in the cabin hold some weight with magnetic hooks but don’t think they would hold heavy enough weight to try laundry.

1 minute ago, wjfan417 said:

No charge but you have to use their provided soap. Walls in the cabin hold some weight with magnetic hooks but don’t think they would hold heavy enough weight to try laundry.

Why can't you use your own soap? I think I have woolite pkgs also. With expensive traveling clothes we have, you can't use cheap soap. I enjoy doing laundry but hate folding clothes! Our MBR is on the first floor steps away from the laundry room- so convenient!

4 minutes ago, wjfan417 said:

I bought the 85lb hooks for our July Celebrity cruise so will test my clothesline on that cruise!

24 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

DIY laundry Yes, soap provided

Magnetic Hooks --walls are metal

5 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

I am fussy about the laundry so will bring the soap anyway as we will be spending more time in NZ than just the cruise. They are small pkg anyway. 

They ask you to use their detergent, not your own. You can also hang clothes on the line that is in the shower. I wash some delicate things by hand and hang them in there to drip as well as our swimming things.

The ship's plumbing system is even more delicate than your clothes, plus the ecological rules regarding grey water are increasingly strict.  That's why ships require that you use their laundry detergent.  Unless you are a marine engineer and can certify that your special detergent is ocean-safe, please follow their rules.  😀

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The ship's plumbing system is even more delicate than your clothes, plus the ecological rules regarding grey water are increasingly strict.  That's why ships require that you use their laundry detergent.  Unless you are a marine engineer and can certify that your special detergent is ocean-safe, please follow their rules.  😀

I suspect that this has more to do with what happens if you use 'top-loader' detergent in a front-loading washing machine (as my wife found out when we returned with some we had bought on holiday in Florida).  This stock photo doesn't do it justice!

Why Is My Washing Machine Not Washing? - Love2Laundry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Never understand why some can't follow the rules.  It's like those who just have to flush wipes and other forbidden items into the vacuum toilets, causing a vertical section of the ship to be without toilets for hours..

• Like 3

Maybe we want to use our detergent because harsh chemicals ruin expensive clothes. I always use woolite  detergent on the clothes & darn tough socks. So that's why I wanted to use my own. The clothes also have special UV protection. So I hope the clothes don't get ruined using their laundry detergent. So before you comment on people not wanting to comply, listen to our feedback & understand without making a snide comment.

3 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Maybe we want to use our detergent because harsh chemicals ruin expensive clothes. I always use woolite  detergent on the clothes & darn tough socks. So that's why I wanted to use my own. The clothes also have special UV protection. So I hope the clothes don't get ruined using their laundry detergent. So before you comment on people not wanting to comply, listen to our feedback & understand without making a snide comment.

Ouch!

But, it has been explained in post #2471 why Azamara discourages the use of other detergents.

If the detergent is so important to you or your clothes, why not wash everything by hand?

Or, alternatively, bring clothes that do not need special treatment.

Also, AFAIK, UV-resistant clothing can be laundered without 'special' detergents. I checked the wash labels on all mine, and there is no reference to use of a 'special detergent'.

• Like 6