Power cords in staterooms?

Domb23

Hello,

We just got off the Enchantment of the Seas on August 10 and had 3 extension cords in 3 separate pieces of luggage confiscated at check-in. Two had surge protectors and one was standard. You can have phone chargers but not extension cords. It was a bit of a problem, as our luggage was not delivered to our room and we had to go down to deck 1 and take our luggage to our rooms ourselves. It was difficult to manage the luggage with most elevators not in use at that time and also trying to get done in time to make the muster drill. I'll know for next time not to pack them. I have a little box charger that has 5 USB ports so with using that and a 10ft charging cable worked fine...reached to the beds with no problem.

I had always thought that you could bring a power cord as long as there is not a surge protector. Is this still true?? Thanks!!

I think the security people don't want to take any chances, or don't want to waste any time trying to determine if a power cord has surge protection, so some just confiscate it all now.

We’ve also heard they are not allowing any type of extension cord or power strips anymore and are confiscating them. With all our electronics charging requirements we are going to try multiple USB ports charger...We sail next month so we’ll let you know how it works out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had always thought that you could bring a power cord as long as there is not a surge protector. Is this still true?? Thanks!!

Power cords do not have surge protection, because everything electrical has a power cord. What you mean is Power strips. Power strips are not permitted. A better alternative is use an adapter plug for the 240 outlets for your phone/camera, and the 110 plugs for anything else. With 3 or 4 plugs I never had a need for more. Plus you can not get 240 adapters with also a USB port on it, so that even gives you more options. I have never had any adapter looked at or taken.

I purchased a non-surge protected power strip (it was square) for our recent Adventure cruise. No one confiscated it and it was great. It had 2 regular plugs and 3 USB plugs. I actually kept it with me (no checked luggage) and it sailed through the security check.

We were also in an accessible cabin and I had requested a heavy duty extension cord so my sister could plug in her mobility scooter (in case they confiscated my power strip). It was waiting in the cabin for us but since no one confiscated my power strip, we never needed the extension cord.

Wow, so they do not allow any power strip at all?

Sailing frof. Ft Lauderdale in a few days and i bought along a non surge donut powerpstrip. They check through the checked luggage bags if they see something in the scanners?

I had my power strip taken even though I made sure when I bought it that it did not have a surge protector. Extension cord made it on.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

sorry but I'm getting a little confused over extension cord vs power strip.

On P&O, we've always taken on a power lead with four sockets on the end - is this what people are calling a power strip?

As opposed to a lead with a single socket at the end - is this an extension cord?

Does it matter who is doing security? At Southampton in the UK, the port authority does the security check for hand baggage at the terminal, and so does not care about the cruise companies rules. So if you stashed an extension lead/power strip in your hand baggage, would you get away with it?

Wow, so they do not allow any power strip at all?

Sailing frof. Ft Lauderdale in a few days and i bought along a non surge donut powerpstrip. They check through the checked luggage bags if they see something in the scanners?

If they see something in the scanner, they will hold the luggage in security. They will contact you to come down and open the bag(s) for inspection.

On P&O, we've always taken on a power lead with four sockets on the end - is this what people are calling a power strip? Sounds like a power lead is an extension cord. Power strip, is usually a plastic or metal box with multiple plugs on it, with a switch to turn on and off. Often times it is surge protected.

As opposed to a lead with a single socket at the end - is this an extension cord? That's an extension cord. Sometimes you can plug more than one item into it, but is just a basic cord to extend.

Does it matter who is doing security? At Southampton in the UK, the port authority does the security check for hand baggage at the terminal, and so does not care about the cruise companies rules. So if you stashed an extension lead/power strip in your hand baggage, would you get away with it?

I never had an issue with an extension cord, and often need one for a scooter, and CPAP. Everything I have on a trip, can either be used in 110 or 240 so I don't need anything else.

On P&O, we've always taken on a power lead with four sockets on the end - is this what people are calling a power strip?

As opposed to a lead with a single socket at the end - is this an extension cord?

Yes the power strip had 5 or 6 sockets and no surge and did not make it on this time but did in my prior cruises. The extension cord with one socket makes it everytime. From the videos I viewed of the new ships there is an outlet by the bed so I probably will not bother with any of it next time.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

Had mine taken this past March, on a cruise out of Galveston. It was the same one I have taken on every cruise without a problem. I managed fine without it but was surprised it was taken.

Which should be a cautionary tale for all those people saying ' I've taken XXX on boards for years and never had a problem'. Like the post right above yours.

I never had an issue with an extension cord, and often need one for a scooter, and CPAP. Everything I have on a trip, can either be used in 110 or 240 so I don't need anything else.

They will happily provide cords for CPAP and Scooter on the ship, just fill in the special needs form.

What about phone charges and iPad charges. I have a dual usb charger i use to charge both simultaneously. Surely that is alright?

Yes those are fine. USB is designed to be low powered.

Nobody will take those away from you.

I have always brought small power strips without a problem, but, on reading, seems those days are over.

Question though. We are always in an inside cabin. We always bring a clock radio with us and use a regular extension cord to be able to place it where we want for best viewing the time. So are regular extension cords allowed now? Can we bring a simple plug that goes into one outlet but lets you plug 3 things into it?

Cheers

Len