Getting Close - Newbie stupid question time

Hi all,

UK based - first RCI cruise in October.

1, On embarkation, can I take bottled water on board?

2, If not, we have purchased the Deluxe Beverage Package, so does this cover bottled water?

3, And if it does, where do we buy bottled water on board - is it just 'the shop', or is it available in bars as well? (we're used to P&O where there seems to be a single 'buy everything' shop from toys to toothpaste).

4, In terms of the Deluxe Beverage Package, is it obvious what is covered and what is not? I assume it's available in all bars? And is automatically added to your account, so when you buy a drink and present your cruise card it's all sorted at point of sale?

5, Finally can you buy 2 drinks at the same time (1 for me and 1 for Mrs BanburyBlue), or do we have to buy them individually to get them covered by the Deluxe Beverage Package?

Apologies for the basic questions. I can't seem to get clear answers on the RCI FAQs page, and a lot of info on this site was posted quite a few years ago.

You may or may not be allowed to carry on bottled water, but there's no need if you have the Deluxe package, bottled water can be obtained at any restaurant or bar.

There will be a drink price limit that is covered by the package, probably $14 for your cruise. It's all covered at the time you order the drink.

They will normally allow you to get one drink per SeaPass card.

We haven't carried bottled water on board in years. We do take two or three of the sport bottles in our carry on. We bought a five cup brita pitcher. Every night I fill the pitcher and in the morning fill up the sport bottles. Fill the pitcher and bottles as needed. The pitcher was less than 20 bucks, and we have used it for several years.

Water on the ship is great - no need for bottled water, but as Bob said you get it for free with your card at any bar/restaurant.

One drink per card - my wife usually gives me her card and asks me to fetch the drinks. :(

1, On embarkation, can I take bottled water on board?

Officially no, in practice yes

2, If not, we have purchased the Deluxe Beverage Package, so does this cover bottled water?

Yes it does cover bottled water (500ml non-branded water). You can get bottles at any bar

3, And if it does, where do we buy bottled water on board - is it just 'the shop', or is it available in bars as well? (we're used to P&O where there seems to be a single 'buy everything' shop from toys to toothpaste).

See answer above, at any bar. There is a "General Store" as well, but not for water

4, In terms of the Deluxe Beverage Package, is it obvious what is covered and what is not? I assume it's available in all bars? And is automatically added to your account, so when you buy a drink and present your cruise card it's all sorted at point of sale?

Available at almost all bars ( main exception is the Bionic bar but as you are sailing from the UK, none of the ships there have one). Covers wine/beer/cocktails/mocktails/soft drinks and other drinks up to a certain amount (typically 12/13 USD, but I believe it may be slightly higher on UK cruises as I think the published prices include the gratuity). You will probably have the information in your room when you board, otherwise just ask any bartender and they can tell you the limit). They will sometimes print out a zero $ slip, but often not and just hand you the drinks.

5, Finally can you buy 2 drinks at the same time (1 for me and 1 for Mrs BanburyBlue), or do we have to buy them individually to get them covered by the Deluxe Beverage Package?

You can have 2 drinks at the same time as long as you have both your Seapass cards with you when you order. (also they will often allow a bottle of water in addition to your drink with only one card)

Apologies for the basic questions. I can't seem to get clear answers on the RCI FAQs page, and a lot of info on this site was posted quite a few years ago.

Not to worry, the package is very easy to use. :) Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by jani
spelling

Prices out of England include the service charge. You can drink anything on the menu up to $14. Hic. This covers pretty much everything apart from high end branded labels.

List of brands below

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/data/dining/deluxe-beverage-packages-cruises.pdf

In addition to alcohol it also covers things like cappucinos at the coffee shop (Cafe Promenade); and getting fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast. You will also get an insulated mug that you can use on the big soda machines to get cokes of a variety of flavours. There are 2 machines in Sorrentos (the pizza place) and 2 in the WindJammer buffet.

You didn't ask, but the drink package also includes specialty coffees in the Café Promenade (need my double espresso each morning!), fresh squeezed orange juice, and smoothies in the spa area, if available on your ship.

Edit - Didn't see Little Britain's similar response...sorry.

Yea bottles water is covered but one drink at a time. The wife and I used to do a bottle run at the end of the evening before going back to the cabin. We took a bag and did a quick tour of the ship picking up a bottle of water each from a number of bars so we had a stock for the room every night

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yea bottles water is covered but one drink at a time. The wife and I used to do a bottle run at the end of the evening before going back to the cabin. We took a bag and did a quick tour of the ship picking up a bottle of water each from a number of bars so we had a stock for the room every night

Thanks - yes I was thinking the same thing - but more get on the ship, whenever you walk past a bar, grab a bottle of water :D

You didn't ask, but the drink package also includes specialty coffees in the Café Promenade (need my double espresso each morning!), fresh squeezed orange juice, and smoothies in the spa area, if available on your ship.

Edit - Didn't see Little Britain's similar response...sorry.

Thanks for clarifying. So how do the breakfast drinks work in the self serve restaurant? We're used to P&O where there are the 'help yourself' tea and juice machines. Sounds like freshly squeezed orange juice is in another category, so have to ask for it in some way?

I normally ask for 2 bottles of water per card. Up to now I have never been refused. Coke (big red) machines outside Sorrentos also has water. You will find a soda cup in your cabin. You need the cup to get the drinks out of the coke machine.

Thanks for clarifying. So how do the breakfast drinks work in the self serve restaurant? We're used to P&O where there are the 'help yourself' tea and juice machines. Sounds like freshly squeezed orange juice is in another category, so have to ask for it in some way?

You can order drinks in the Windjammer from the waiters. The included drinks are from self serve machines same as on P and O, but anything you would pay extra for comes from the waiter. On both Indy and Navigator (guessing you are on one of these) there is also a bar in the Windjammer that you can go up to yourself to be served if you choose.

Julie

There are self serve tea/coffee machines as usual and there will be a separate table set up, near the entrance with someone squeezing fresh oranges, or sometimes grapefruit too.

They also come round with trolleys with tea/coffee on so you don't have to get up and go to the machines.

There are also containers with 'squash' type juices in at breakfast.

If you go to breakfast in the dining room, you just ask for it.

At lunch in the WJ I recommend the cloudy old fashioned type lemonade which is delicious.

I hope you will find the RCI experience far superior (and much more fun) than P&O.

Please come back and tell us how you get on? Are you on Indie or Navigator?

WJ = WindJammer buffet area.

There are self serve tea/coffee machines as usual and there will be a separate table set up, near the entrance with someone squeezing fresh oranges, or sometimes grapefruit too.

They also come round with trolleys with tea/coffee on so you don't have to get up and go to the machines.

There are also containers with 'squash' type juices in at breakfast.

If you go to breakfast in the dining room, you just ask for it.

At lunch in the WJ I recommend the cloudy old fashioned type lemonade which is delicious.

I hope you will find the RCI experience far superior (and much more fun) than P&O.

Please come back and tell us how you get on? Are you on Indie or Navigator?

WJ = WindJammer buffet area.

We're on Indie. We're relatively new to cruising. Our first couple of cruises were with Cunard, and our last few P&O. Our last P&O cruise just felt 'staid' - not many activities, not much going on. Also getting a tad frustrated with the British "moan" brigade. So we thought we'd look for a short cruise with another cruise line and came up with this 5 day RCI cruise.

Indie is anything but 'staid' LOL!

Make sure you go to the ice show and to Grease,

dance to Rock Brittania party in the Prom,

play mini golf,

try the new VR sets,

sing along in the Schooner Bar,

have an elegant glass of champagne in the Champagne Bar,

watch footie and eat Nachos in Playmakers,

or samba in Boleros.... 5 nights is not long enough!

Indie is anything but 'staid' LOL!

Make sure you go to the ice show and to Grease,

dance to Rock Brittania party in the Prom,

play mini golf,

try the new VR sets,

sing along in the Schooner Bar,

have an elegant glass of champagne in the Champagne Bar,

watch footie and eat Nachos in Playmakers,

or samba in Boleros.... 5 nights is not long enough!

Best part about the footie is you can play pool at the same time

As to the price limit of the drink. You can order a drink that is more than the limit, you will just be charged the difference plus 18% service charge for the difference.

For example if the limit is $14 and the drink price is $15 your on board account will only be charged $1.18