packing/luggage question

MWBearFan

Well, I've been on about a dozen cruises in the past 4 years. I always bring a 12 pack of soda because I'm in love with Fresca and the ships don't carry it. Plus I'm pretty much a non-drinker. I know that the rules state it must be carried on the ship and I did for the first 2 or 3 cruises. Then my husband insisted I leave it in our check bag from the airport. I must be pretty lucky or they don't give a rats patooty about my soda because I've never had it confiscated. I didn't know you could also bring a bottle of wine too. I thought it was either one, but not both. Good to know.

Also, I like to pack as light as possible too. I just throw in a few dryer sheets, some powder detergent in a zip lock baggie and do a load of wash 1/2 way thru the cruise. Washers & dryers are about $3 each, but most times the soap dispensers are out of order - and they want $3 a box as well. Packing your own won't take up any weight at all. Last cruise we took I needed to break into my detergent before we even embarked. I was hit with a huge gust of wind while walking outside on deck 14 with a cup of black coffee. Of course I was wearing a white t-shirt!!! I just soaked it in the bathroom sink while we went to dinner that night and it was fine.

Great idea about the over-the-counter meds. I needed more band-aids than I had packed on one of our cruises. It cost me $1.50 for 1 bandaid and a tiny foil pack of Neosporin Oint at the Medical Center.

When cruising, I pack everything that could be conceivably be needed in any medical emergency. That’s just the (retired) RN in me. But the ONE item I forgot 2 cruises ago was hydrogen peroxide. Who would of thought that of all the many meds for anything that may strike us on a cruise, I would need the one thing I forgot! I developed a painful canker sore inside my mouth, so I was able to purchase a small bottle in Costa Maya for about 10x the cost at home! I haven’t forgot it since!

I take a 22” Travelpro expanding suitcase, backpack and sometimes a small bag that will fit on the handle of the suitcase. I can walk on 4-5 day cruises with no problem.

The one thing I do is wear jeans or a pair of khakis aboard and rarely a sport coat. That, along with a long sleeved shirt is my Cruise Elegant attire.

The backpack has a full compliment of travel size meds like Zantac, Imodium, Aspirin, etc, cameras, iPad, Bluetooth speaker for the cabin, cables for the Best Buy assortment and my Bible. I also take cards and dominoes in the suitcase.

The bags have at least one change of clothes for each day, that being shorts and a polo, sandals, and underclothes. I take 2-3 spare shirts folded up tightly, hat, and whatever else.

The entire collection is laid out on the bed and then tucked in where ever it will fit.

I also take metal hangars for all my shirts and hang them as soon as we board.

I wear shorts, a polo and sandals for all days except the one or two Cruise Elegant nights and then for dinner I wear long pants. Rarely do I use the sport coat, it usually goes to my wife when she’s cold.

For a 7 nighter I check a 25” rolling suitcase and carry the backpack. The rest goes in the checked bag.

The thing to remember if you are going to self-debark is you need to be able to walk with all of it. We see people check a bag or two and then have both hands full of carry-ons. They forget the need to manage all their luggage if taking advantage of self-assist at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP - I saw some great advice on another thread: "Pack what you want to pack and don't worry about what others pack" (obviously within the guidelines of common sense and not packing prohibited items). We all pack differently and have different wants/needs.

Oh my gosh, one checked luggage each, 1 carry on each? For only 4 nights! We don't pack light, but all we bring is one piece of luggage and one backpack. Luggage should weigh 50lbs, but you can go over. Just not recommended. Any travel you do, regardless of ship, or plane, it is always not a good idea to pack the huge amount of equipment you have on your list. I personally only bring, a phone, and none of the other stuff. It's four days, not four months.

Why did you pay for FTTF? Than you bring on soda to save money? Why not cancel the FTTF, and just buy the soda package. It will be cheaper, and easier.

Also, why are you packing now. Just wait to the day before. Less stressful

I get that you don't like FTTF, but many do. A good reason to carry on soda (or anything else allowed) is to have your brand/have it in your cabin (some people do spend time there) - money often doesn't enter into it. Soda package doesn't offer anything covered by FTTF and may or may not be cheaper and easier than bringing your own, preferred brand that can be cooled in your cabin - not wait at a bar for a warm, flat partial can of coke when you want Fresca, Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, or any myriad of other choices of drinks.

I would be incredibly stressed to pack the day before I had to leave for a trip. We all travel differently - do what works for you.

You can travel with a phone and change of clothes - great. Some people are more avid photographers, possibly work obligations requiring equipment, health conditions requiring medications/equipment.

There is nothing wrong with extremely light packing if that works for you and enhances your cruise. There is nothing wrong with being a pack mule bringing everything but the kitchen sink (as long as your luggage doesn't encroach on others space) if that is what works for you. There is nothing wrong with something in the middle (which is where most are). Pack how you are comfortable and have a great cruise:cool:

When we sailed the Vista 10 day repo from NY a few Thanksgivings ago, JH announced that sailaway was delayed 2 HOURS due to extraordinary amount of luggage being handled for that sailing date.

The amount of luggage one brings can affect other passengers, the crew, and the ship's operations.

snip

The backpack has a full compliment of travel size meds like Zantac, Imodium, Aspirin, etc, cameras, iPad, Bluetooth speaker for the cabin, cables for the Best Buy assortment and my Bible. I also take cards and dominoes in the suitcase.

snip

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use the Bible App and have several versions downloaded. That won't work if you like the tangible pages, but it works well for me.