packing/luggage question

MWBearFan

I have questions concerning packing/baggage. Wife and I are going to be on a cruise that departs Oct 1st and returns October 5th so basically a 4 night cruise. We've been slowly accumulating and organizing what we want to bring with us on the cruise. I have been looking at both the ticket contract and the general guest information that you can view and print. I've included the text from each document at the bottom of the post. My questions are about quantity of bags, size, weight, contents. We are both planning on taking a bag each to check with the porter, and a carryon each.

From the contract it says each of us is allowed a "reasonable amount of luggage" which the other document based on our cruise length means one checked bag each weighing a max of 50 pounds and gives specific dimensions. What jumped out to me in the contract was 4b, sounds like the only thing that's allowed in those bags are clothes and toiletries? I'm assuming then any camera equipment, digital devices like tablets, laptops, power strips, charging gear etc. would have to be on your person at boarding as carry on. I don't see any specifics on size/weight limit of carry on luggage. We do plan on traveling light but we are planning on taking our limit of 12 cans ea of soda and a bottle of wine each, along with, medication, documents, our handheld cameras, etc. We do have FTTF so our cabin should be ready when we board and we can unload our carry on luggage.

I guess the simplest thing to ask is what do people typically pack in both their carry on and their checked luggage. Assuming we each take check one bag at the porter would we be able to each have like a backpack/or small duffle and a separate bag for our soda/wine allowance. Does our soda and wine need be separate as in I carry 12 cans and a bottle and she carries 12 cans and a bottle. I've never cruised and the wife cruised once many years back with Norweigian, so we're both new to cruising. These may be silly or dumb questions but we want to know before we pack and leave for the port. We aren't flying so arriving at the port will be the first time we have to deal with checking luggage.

The portion of the ticket contract I'm looking at is as follows:

"4. BAGGAGE, PERSONAL PROPERTY, PROHIBITED ITEMS, LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

(a) Each fully paid adult Guest will be allowed a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing their personal belongings. Luggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey. Carnival reserves the right to inspect all luggage for the safety and security of the vessel and deny any such luggage it deems unreasonable or unsafe.

(b) No tools of trade, household goods, presents and/or property of others, jewelry, money, cameras, documents, valuables of any description including but not limited to such articles as are described in Title 46 of the United States Code section 30503 shall be carried except under and subject to the terms of a special written contract or Bill of Lading entered into with Carnival prior to embarkation upon application of the Guest. The Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container presented by him as baggage hereunder, and if any such articles are shipped in the Guest’s baggage in breach of this warranty, no liability for negligence, gross or ordinary, shall attach to Carnival for any loss or damage thereto."

The section of our general information under the "Important Information" heading is as follows:

"LUGAGGE INFORMATION

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if travelingon cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 daysor longer. Guests must personally carry-on any boarding documentation (passports, Visas, I.D),valuables, medications and items which require special handling. Guests who are scheduled toarrive at the terminal before 1:30 PM, usually check their bags with a porter so they can be freeto enjoy lunch on Lido Deck before access to their stateroom is granted. Checked baggageservice is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published departure time. Guestsarriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board. Each checked andcarry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds each, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For securityscreening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked

You'll be fine.

I do not pack light. I've never had an issue. Tip the porters well and don't worry about it. I have all kinds of things in my luggage that are not clothing. As long as it isn't a prohibited item you are fine. Don't pack valuables in the luggage you are checking.

Size is an issue for carry on as it has to go through a scanner like at the airport.

And remember your luggage will fit under the bed!

If you want to chance having electronics removed from your checked luggage, that's your choice. Most cruisers will put any thing valuable - cruise docs & IDs, meds, cameras, tablets, readers, etc. in their carry on.

It's a 4 day cruise, bring 5 sets of underwear, 5 tee shirts or blouses, 2 trousers, shorts or dresses, 2 bathing suits, sneakers and shoes, hat. Remember you will be wearing a bathing suit or shorts most days, and only change into civilian clothes for a few hours in the evening. Mix and match works well for some guests. You will not need a different pair of shoes for each outfit.

I am the extreme minimalist, since I can pack enough clothes for a 21 day cruise into a 21" roll on piece of luggage. I do see other guests who perhaps think they are moving, and bring numerous large bags that require getting checked. Where you fit on this range is up to you and your style.

Don't overthink it. You also don't need to be weighing your bags for the cruise ship, if it's over 50lbs it's over 50lbs. It's not like an airline. However it's polite to keep it under 50lbs since people have to lift your luggage and move it around. What we normally do is stack our soda cases on top of our suitcases and roll them in. It makes it easier for us. Sometimes we take book bags on as our carry-on, other times we take small suitcases packed with things. As long as it will fit through the scanner then you can carry it on. Otherwise it needs to be left with the porters.

Carry on all electronics, cameras and medications. We take one small rolling bag for canned drinks and our 2 bottles of wine, and a backpack for electronics and meds. I usually only take my Kindle and point and shoot camera with extra battery.

We've never weighed a bag, pretty sure a few times we've been over 50 pounds - nothing has ever been said - porters just take their tips and toss the bag on the pile. (we always drive to the port)

Pack your medications and electronics in your carry on and your bathing suit so you can enjoy the pool as soon as you can. I always pack one set of clothes in case my luggage is lost.

Remember that you will have to keep this carry on with you until you can get into your room. Because of this reason, my carry on gets smaller and smaller each cruise!

Enjoy. You will have a fabulous time!

Ok how do I put this.......Your overthinking this. The rules are there to stop people from moving via cruise ship.

I have never ever seen them weigh your luggage it just has to fit thru the screening machines. Cruise terminals are nothing like airlines that weigh your bags. They look for people bringing in stuff they shouldn't drugs, alcohol, weapons. Not how many shoes you need.

For us we pack a change of clothing for everyone and a swimsuit in the carryon. With medications and sunblock.....lots of sunblock. Any electrons are in our "personal bag" backpack for kids, tote for me. We have nice 4 wheel carryon bags and we just take 1 or 2 to lunch with us and then I sit with the bags when the kids and DH hit the pool/slides. We don't explore the ship until after dinner. But that us.

I have no experience with carry on drinks I would think the wine would have to be checked but soda could go into the checked bag. They will be moving your checked bag a lot and stuff will get thrown on top of it ect. DO NOT put anything that could break in it, unless you pack it very carefully and in hard side luggage.

We don't check anything! For a short 4 day cruise it is quite simple to take one rolling bag +1 backpack or large tote. No one weighs the bags or checks for a particular size. They just need to fit through the scanner and you need to be able to handle them yourselves.

Don't worry about the luggage and don't go nuts packing everything you own in your home!! You are only going away for a short time!

BTW we can also do this for 10-15 day cruises/trips so a 4 day one sounds quite simple to us.!

You didn't ask but my guess is you are a new cruiser. I am going to give you one piece of advice.

Pack over the counter meds. They cost a small fortune in the gift shop. They don't have Imodium or pepto maybe only Tums on ship (that I have been on) because if your having issues they want the ship DR to check you out.

I am a underpacker in a family of overpackers but even I bring a med kit Advil (pain), Cold med, Benadryl (allergy), Imodium, Pepcid chew, hydrocortisone cream, bandaids, Neosporin. Most of these come in blister packs take them out of the box and put in a small zip lock bag. I can not tell you how many times it has saved us a trip to the infirmary. Its great to know they have nurses and Doctors but I really don't want to have to use them if I can avoid it.

Ok how do I put this.......Your overthinking this. The rules are there to stop people from moving via cruise ship.

I have never ever seen them weigh your luggage it just has to fit thru the screening machines. Cruise terminals are nothing like airlines that weigh your bags. They look for people bringing in stuff they shouldn't drugs, alcohol, weapons. Not how many shoes you need.

For us we pack a change of clothing for everyone and a swimsuit in the carryon. With medications and sunblock.....lots of sunblock. Any electrons are in our "personal bag" backpack for kids, tote for me. We have nice 4 wheel carryon bags and we just take 1 or 2 to lunch with us and then I sit with the bags when the kids and DH hit the pool/slides. We don't explore the ship until after dinner. But that us.

I have no experience with carry on drinks I would think the wine would have to be checked but soda could go into the checked bag. They will be moving your checked bag a lot and stuff will get thrown on top of it ect. DO NOT put anything that could break in it, unless you pack it very carefully and in hard side luggage.

NO! Soda has to be carried on too. Years ago you could just slap a luggage tag on a case of drinks check it. No more - you have to carry it on. I saw a suitcase sitting outside a doorway on embarkation day once - it was obvious they had packed their drinks in it - and the drinks had leaked.... I wouldn't not have wanted have the suitcase under theirs in the pile.

Lay everything out and then put 1/2 of it away. You won't wear it. Thirty cruises here so I know of what I speak. Also, if you take the hang up clothes on the hanger, open your suitcase when you get to your room and simply hang them up. Saves a lot of time. Since we drive to the port, I take everything but the kitchen sink including our 3 inch thick memory foam mattress topper. No back pain for us.

I have questions concerning packing/baggage. Wife and I are going to be on a cruise that departs Oct 1st and returns October 5th so basically a 4 night cruise. We've been slowly accumulating and organizing what we want to bring with us on the cruise. I have been looking at both the ticket contract and the general guest information that you can view and print. I've included the text from each document at the bottom of the post. My questions are about quantity of bags, size, weight, contents. We are both planning on taking a bag each to check with the porter, and a carryon each.

From the contract it says each of us is allowed a "reasonable amount of luggage" which the other document based on our cruise length means one checked bag each weighing a max of 50 pounds and gives specific dimensions. What jumped out to me in the contract was 4b, sounds like the only thing that's allowed in those bags are clothes and toiletries? I'm assuming then any camera equipment, digital devices like tablets, laptops, power strips, charging gear etc. would have to be on your person at boarding as carry on. I don't see any specifics on size/weight limit of carry on luggage. We do plan on traveling light but we are planning on taking our limit of 12 cans ea of soda and a bottle of wine each, along with, medication, documents, our handheld cameras, etc. We do have FTTF so our cabin should be ready when we board and we can unload our carry on luggage.

I guess the simplest thing to ask is what do people typically pack in both their carry on and their checked luggage. Assuming we each take check one bag at the porter would we be able to each have like a backpack/or small duffle and a separate bag for our soda/wine allowance. Does our soda and wine need be separate as in I carry 12 cans and a bottle and she carries 12 cans and a bottle. I've never cruised and the wife cruised once many years back with Norweigian, so we're both new to cruising. These may be silly or dumb questions but we want to know before we pack and leave for the port. We aren't flying so arriving at the port will be the first time we have to deal with checking luggage.

Oh my gosh, one checked luggage each, 1 carry on each? For only 4 nights! We don't pack light, but all we bring is one piece of luggage and one backpack. Luggage should weigh 50lbs, but you can go over. Just not recommended. Any travel you do, regardless of ship, or plane, it is always not a good idea to pack the huge amount of equipment you have on your list. I personally only bring, a phone, and none of the other stuff. It's four days, not four months.

Why did you pay for FTTF? Than you bring on soda to save money? Why not cancel the FTTF, and just buy the soda package. It will be cheaper, and easier.

Also, why are you packing now. Just wait to the day before. Less stressful

No matter the conveyance, it's never safe to pack anything of value in checked luggage. I started keeping track of how many things I pack VS how many things I didn't wear or use so I'm streamlining although I have a tendency to over-pack. I've seen plenty of cruisers who are allowed on the ship with what seems to me as massive amounts of luggage, so you should be fine whatever you decide on.

One thing they recommend is cross-packing in case something happens to one of the suitcases; so some of your stuff in your partner's suitcase and vice versa.

I haven’t read any responses yet, but I have to say NEVER pack important or expensive items in a checked bag. That includes cameras, laptops, iPads, jewelry. I also carry my charging gear on in my tote. In my carry on, I carry EVERYTHING I may need that first day: swimsuit, change of clothing, medication, jewelry, personal products. I don’t carry a camera any longer—just use my phone— but when I use to, I’d carry that in my tote. And I don’t bother with laptops, etc, as we totally unplug on a cruise. (Try it! It does the mind and spirit good!) But if you do bring those items, carry those on also. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH and I have been on 46 cruises, 33 on Carnival, and the only time there was ever a luggage question was on our 4-day, overnight Havana Cuba cruise on the Paradise last May. We received an email from Carnival that requested passengers only bring one suitcase per person on that cruise. No explanation why. We did bring one suitcase per person and one carry on with cans of soda, etc. This is our usual luggage amount anyway.

I’m curious if they count the number of bags. Traveling with small child. Can I just make a copy of the luggage tag and put on an extra suitcase?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve never had them count your bags. No worry. Bring whatever you need. We traveled with a baby granddaughter once, and brought one whole suitcase full of food, formula, pedialite, diapers, wipes, blow up baby bathtub (to put in shower). Then another full suitcase of all the clothes you go through with a baby for a 7 day cruise! 😱 Then, of course, a stroller! My poor hubby was like a pack mule for that cruise!

Thanks for all the responses, and as a first time cruiser, it's easy to overthink things because we have no personal experience to reference just the cruise companies printed policies. My list was more to cover what a person could conceivably pack for a cruise. I wanted to get an idea of what people typically pack in their checked bags and their carryon. We'll have our phones, probably our small point and shoot cameras (mine fits in my pants pocket), medications/first aid, toiletries, our allotment of soda and wine, and clothing. No intention of bringing the laptop or anything bulky. The wife is thinking of bringing a small oil water diffuser. Essentially we're planning to bring one checked bag each, one carryon backpack or small duffle. We were thinking of bringing the cans/wine in their own small roller bag. We chose FTTF because we like the idea of our cabin being ready when we board, along with the other perks that come with it. We'll be able to board and head to our room to drop off our stuff and explore the ship. We chose not to go with a drinks package because we don't see the value in it, we're not heavy drinkers alcohol or soda. Our plan is to pack as light as we can but we also don't want to under pack.

We take 1 suitcase each and 1 backpack each. We carry on all our luggage. I don't want my stuff to get broken, lost, get dropped into the water or have to wait for it to make it to my cabin. I like to get my cabin organized as soon as possible so it's done & no need to worry about doing it before or after supper & whether I have time to do it before a show, etc. Wine goes in my backpack & I don't bother with bringing my cokes. On the rare past occasions when I did check my suitcase, it was only clothes & toiletries. All meds & electronics stay in one of our backpacks.

Well, I've been on about a dozen cruises in the past 4 years. I always bring a 12 pack of soda because I'm in love with Fresca and the ships don't carry it. Plus I'm pretty much a non-drinker. I know that the rules state it must be carried on the ship and I did for the first 2 or 3 cruises. Then my husband insisted I leave it in our check bag from the airport. I must be pretty lucky or they don't give a rats patooty about my soda because I've never had it confiscated. I didn't know you could also bring a bottle of wine too. I thought it was either one, but not both. Good to know.

Also, I like to pack as light as possible too. I just throw in a few dryer sheets, some powder detergent in a zip lock baggie and do a load of wash 1/2 way thru the cruise. Washers & dryers are about $3 each, but most times the soap dispensers are out of order - and they want $3 a box as well. Packing your own won't take up any weight at all. Last cruise we took I needed to break into my detergent before we even embarked. I was hit with a huge gust of wind while walking outside on deck 14 with a cup of black coffee. Of course I was wearing a white t-shirt!!! I just soaked it in the bathroom sink while we went to dinner that night and it was fine.

Great idea about the over-the-counter meds. I needed more band-aids than I had packed on one of our cruises. It cost me $1.50 for 1 bandaid and a tiny foil pack of Neosporin Oint at the Medical Center.

Thanks for all the responses, and as a first time cruiser, it's easy to overthink things because we have no personal experience to reference just the cruise companies printed policies. My list was more to cover what a person could conceivably pack for a cruise. I wanted to get an idea of what people typically pack in their checked bags and their carryon. We'll have our phones, probably our small point and shoot cameras (mine fits in my pants pocket), medications/first aid, toiletries, our allotment of soda and wine, and clothing. No intention of bringing the laptop or anything bulky. The wife is thinking of bringing a small oil water diffuser. Essentially we're planning to bring one checked bag each, one carryon backpack or small duffle. We were thinking of bringing the cans/wine in their own small roller bag. We chose FTTF because we like the idea of our cabin being ready when we board, along with the other perks that come with it. We'll be able to board and head to our room to drop off our stuff and explore the ship. We chose not to go with a drinks package because we don't see the value in it, we're not heavy drinkers alcohol or soda. Our plan is to pack as light as we can but we also don't want to under pack.

My daughter ALWAYS packs her oil diffuser when cruising. She claims she diffuses THIEVES to cleanse the cabin upon embarkation, then has other oils to diffuse throughout the cruise.