LIVE BLOG! From the EQUINOX - AUG 25th Sailing - CHICAGOPAUL

chicagopaul

I'm starting to pay attention to what Concierge and Elite receive since we've never been on Celebrity (Elite only because we're Diamond on Royal Caribbean).

Curious as to what you said: The room is very clean though no welcome bottle of “champagne” in this concierge room

From what I can tell, all Concierge class rooms receive this? Not that we care, either, as we always do the drink package, but, just trying to understand why not. I didn't see any difference in benefits between C1, C2 or C3 (other than room location) in any of the info available re CC.

Hi Amy, I bet Paul and Edward received their "champagne" at some point. Since it says it will be delivered at your convenience by your cabin steward. I'm thinking that we have always found it waiting on us to arrive, but I can see that they might wait since they serve it chilled.

Looking forward to meeting you in less than 2 months! :D:D

Paul, another “job well done”. I always enjoy reading about your experiences. Kathy and I met Edward and you in the Michael’s club on a TA a couple years ago.

I am curious about the upper limit on the Premium Drink Package. Has it been raised to $15 from the previous $13? Or it is just that a few of the restaurants increase the limits just for wines?

If you would share any thing that you learned concerning the limit, it would be appreciated.

Instead of a TA we are doing a Transpacific from Honolulu to Sydney on the Solstice this year. Departing on Oct 1.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Jim (North of Chicago)

I'm starting to pay attention to what Concierge and Elite receive since we've never been on Celebrity (Elite only because we're Diamond on Royal Caribbean).

Curious as to what you said: The room is very clean though no welcome bottle of “champagne” in this concierge room

From what I can tell, all Concierge class rooms receive this? Not that we care, either, as we always do the drink package, but, just trying to understand why not. I didn't see any difference in benefits between C1, C2 or C3 (other than room location) in any of the info available re CC.

Good question. As a matter of fact I mentioned this in my room tour video and multiple people commented so let me clear it up! I'm glad you mentioned it.

We are used to see it in a bucket of ice. That was not the case, though there were two champagne glasses off to the side. When we met our cabin steward I did not bring it up, but he volunteered and told me it is in the refrigerator. I ended up checking the fridge later and it was not there. I'm sure just a basic oversight. However he definitely brought it up and if we wanted it all we needed to do was ask.

I do think it is a nice touch walking in and seeing it on ice, but the majority of people I think tend to not drink it on embarkation day so they've probably found putting in the fridge or just making it available upon request is a better way of going about it. From a marketing standpoint they probably should print a nice card with a picture of bubbly on it and have it sitting on the table, etc. But fear not, you are still entitled to it regardless!

Paul, another “job well done”. I always enjoy reading about your experiences. Kathy and I met Edward and you in the Michael’s club on a TA a couple years ago.

I am curious about the upper limit on the Premium Drink Package. Has it been raised to $15 from the previous $13? Or it is just that a few of the restaurants increase the limits just for wines?

If you would share any thing that you learned concerning the limit, it would be appreciated.

Instead of a TA we are doing a Transpacific from Honolulu to Sydney on the Solstice this year. Departing on Oct 1.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Jim (North of Chicago)

Hey, how are you! Very jealous of the Transpacific from Honolulu to Sydney. That sounds wonderful!

The limit, at least on this cruise was $15. I learned this in a couple ways. For one, I did end up seeing it on printed material. I have that at home, so I will look for it and see if I can find the specific mention but I do remember seeing it and I may have taken a photo as well. Also, I ordered several drinks above the package both wine at dinner and at World Class bar and the math always worked out to them using $15 as the limit. So hopefully this is the new norm fleetwide. It definitely is on the Equinox.

Was this a late booking, leaving you little choice of position of your room (1007)

The only time we have been so far forward was one day when my husband attended the choir, which was held in the conference room on deck 14. I just hadn’t realised the amount of movement compared to mid ships, where fortunately our cabin was.

This was somewhat of a late booking, I'd say about 4 months from sail, but this was a Concierge Guarantee cabin which is the reason for the location. I honestly never felt any movement at all. I was a little disappointed to be frank, I prefer to feel as if I'm on a ship and I can only recall feeling movement once during the cruise. But I'm sure we were just lucky this cruise with the weather and seas.

Thanks for this. Yeah, doesn't look like any big deal to me! One less bar to worry about visiting, LOL!

Yes, we're getting closer and closer to our big day!

Haha, yes Peggy is correct. Online they like to advertise it as a separate bar but all it really is, is an extension of the martini bar area. Some people really like sitting there (it is off the side) but personally I prefer sitting at the bar.

Danielle,

It was a pleasure meeting you and Jay (plus your little one!). I look forward to the pics! Yes, we booked a back to back on the Equinox for Nov of 2019.

As of now our next cruises are:

Nov 5, 2018 Reflection

Feb 24, 2018 Edge

Nov 2 & 9, 2019 Equinox.

We will likely throw in another in between Feb and Nov. keep us posted on what you book!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve enjoyed reading your reviews we are booked on the cruise right before yours in November!! What of loved to have met up with you at the martini bar!!We were on the equinox in 2015 and look forward to seeing the ship after the remodel!!Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey, how are you! Very jealous of the Transpacific from Honolulu to Sydney. That sounds wonderful!

The limit, at least on this cruise was $15. I learned this in a couple ways. For one, I did end up seeing it on printed material. I have that at home, so I will look for it and see if I can find the specific mention but I do remember seeing it and I may have taken a photo as well. Also, I ordered several drinks above the package both wine at dinner and at World Class bar and the math always worked out to them using $15 as the limit. So hopefully this is the new norm fleetwide. It definitely is on the Equinox.

$15 is awesome. DH can't wait to drink Caymus and Ridge for $5 a glass, LOL.

We are not on Equinox until Feb ...so Roland probably will be off by then....but we used to love him also at the Passport bar. He was amazing and so funny...we so enjoyed his company. Thanks Paul for all the details....and I think I understand we can use our classic package at the martini and world bar and pay the difference ? That sounds perfect !

Next up.for us is Reflections in Dec.....see you on the Edge in Feb !

Thank you again for all the time you have given us.

Cheers

Brockmom

[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are both doing great, thank you. We have some different cruise experiences planned including our first River cruise.

Also thank you for clarifying your experience on the drink limits. It is logical considering the difference between the Classic and Premium is now $14 plus gratuities per day.

If I recall correctly someone else on your cruise was convinced that the limit was still $13, but suspected that they might not actual have the Premium package. Or perhaps not enjoying any drinks over the limit.

The menu I see online from 2017 is 12-15 bucks.

I didn’t get a chance to take new menu photos for World Class but I did go through the menu. All looked the same to me with most being $12 with the exception of Zacapa Above the Clouds which was increased to $20. That’s the drink with the smoking wood chips.

Other favorites we like such as the Zacapa old fashioned or Celebrity 10 were still $12.

We are both doing great, thank you. We have some different cruise experiences planned including our first River cruise.

Also thank you for clarifying your experience on the drink limits. It is logical considering the difference between the Classic and Premium is now $14 plus gratuities per day.

If I recall correctly someone else on your cruise was convinced that the limit was still $13, but suspected that they might not actual have the Premium package. Or perhaps not enjoying any drinks over the limit.

Someone on my cruise actually asked the F&B director Vlado (I believe that’s who they asked), and he said it was still $13. But clearly that’s not the case. Though it wouldn’t be the first time the upper level managers did not know the specifics of policy. I remember having a conversation with another F&B director on a different cruise regarding room service charges for suites. Suites are exempt from the late night room service fee but he was adamant that was not the case but said he’d look into it.

We are not on Equinox until Feb ...so Roland probably will be off by then....but we used to love him also at the Passport bar. He was amazing and so funny...we so enjoyed his company. Thanks Paul for all the details....and I think I understand we can use our classic package at the martini and world bar and pay the difference ? That sounds perfect !

Next up.for us is Reflections in Dec.....see you on the Edge in Feb !

Thank you again for all the time you have given us.

Cheers

Brockmom

[emoji3]

He really is great. Thanks for following along and we will see you on the Edge!!!

Someone on my cruise actually asked the F&B director Vlado (I believe that’s who they asked), and he said it was still $13. But clearly that’s not the case. Though it wouldn’t be the first time the upper level managers did not know the specifics of policy. I remember having a conversation with another F&B director on a different cruise regarding room service charges for suites. Suites are exempt from the late night room service fee but he was adamant that was not the case but said he’d look into it.

I am not surprised. Thank you for the follow up.

I was telling my DH about your review and the fact you’re on the cruise after us doing a B2B and we thought we should be doing a B2B! (we never have) So after a lot of wine last night we just booked the cruise for the November 2 sailing after seeing that they are completely different ports! We are going with friends on the first cruise for her 50th birthday on Oct .30 and my birthday falls on November 3! This cruise was supposed be all about her so trying to figure out how to tell her we just added a second week? Or do we[emoji38] hope to see you at the martini bar?

I am not surprised. Thank you for the follow up.
Yes I asked Vlado (the F&B) at the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet the second full day of the cruise (Aug 27) after seeing a posting in this thread about the increase to $15. He was firmly convinced it was still $13. Even made the comment "maybe next year"!!!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Forums mobile app

Edited by TommyD3

Another excellent review! I love the Solstice class ships & Murano & will be on a short trip on the Silhouette next year - also hoping for another trip on a Celebrity ship. Would love to be on the Edge but at the moment the prices in the UK are pretty crazy so it might be an M class ship [emoji4]

My partner, Rick, and I sailed an 11-nighter on Equinox back in November, 2016, had a fantastic time and fell in love with it.

My wife and I had our last cruise on the Equinox in 2012, she sadly passed from cancer very soon after that cruise,

The ship has many happy memories

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks for the review! Sorry if I missed it but who were the shopping guides? We had George and Mishi and loved them on our last trip in February. Hoping they are back for our equinox cruise in October. Also, is that a Perdomo Champagne Anniversary you’re smoking? If so, that’s my favorite!

Thank you for such a comprehensive review, I always settle in for a good read when I see a ChicagoPaul byline. One question. Does the cheese plate in Murano offer fig jam? I dearly love fig jam with a good strong cheese

Yes I asked Vlado (the F&B) at the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet the second full day of the cruise (Aug 27) after seeing a posting in this thread about the increase to $15. He was firmly convinced it was still $13. Even made the comment "maybe next year"!!!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Forums mobile app

Yes, I remember you sharing your experience. Obviously he did not know. I check the Celebrity website and it news states the $15 limit. I guess Vlado was not fully aware of the change. I understand he is on break.

The bottom line as Paul experienced the new limits is $15 now.