R- Ship Seasickness

ano

We were looking at the April 17, 2019 Regatta Miami to Miami. This would be our first Oceania cruise. Now I know its an older ship, so not selling very much = good price. My question, this would be by-far, the smallest ship we have ever taken, and what worries us is the large ocean stretches. Can anyone that has taken a cruise like this one in this region, comment on their experience. Just how rocky can it get. Also every class seems available which is also concerning as we see they often sell-out much further out than this cruise.

it may be the itinerary that is not appealing to the regulars

You never know what the sea conditions will be like one sailing will be smooth another may be rocky

we have sailed the R ships a few times & caught in some bumpy seas the ship was fine ..some people maybe not so well

if you do suffer from the motion of the ocean then book a cabin mid ship or low deck 4 is more stable

take sea sick meds with you

popular or new itineraries do sell out like circumnavigation of Australia etc..

Caribbean not so much

JMO

We always book a midship cabin on deck 4 (ocean view) as there is less motion on a lower deck. I can count on one hand the number of times we've had rocking and rolling; even during rough seas, the ship is rather stable.

Having said that, we did experience very high swells during a Tasmin Sea crossing from Australia to New Zealand. Our friend did suffer from sea sickness and her ginger did nothing to help. The maitre'd in Toscana, where we'd had reservations that evening, got her a green apple. He insisted that it was the only thing that would help ~ and it did. After eating the apple, she soon felt fine.

Harriet

I agree that if the cruise does not seem to be selling well, it's the itinerary and not the ship.

I've been on the Panama Canal cruise on the Regatta. Miami to San Francisco. The last day of the cruise the sea was quite choppy in the Pacific. We were in the bow of the ship, Deck 6. It wasn't enough to bother us. Neither of us needed any motion sickness meds but each person has their own level of tolerance.

Enjoy the cruise.

I love the r-ships and take meclizine religiously when on any ship. It works for me with very few side effects. I agree with others that mid-ship around deck 4 is the best place to be in rough seas. Also get some ginger candy. It helps if you feel queasy.

I am one who long ago said "no more Caribbean cruises". It's not that we'd taken a lot of them, they just tended not to be that interesting to us. That being said, I checked on this itinerary and if I were looking for a Caribbean cruise, this one would interest me. There are enough new places -- and two or three that we visited on land visits many years ago to which we'd be happy to return -- that I wouldn't object to this itinerary.

But that's me!

I did try a dummy reservation for a B1 and came up with the usual seven available rooms. That just means that there are at least 7 cabins in that category available. It doesn't mean that only seven are available, whereas if only 2 or 3 were shown probably those *would* be the only ones available.

I'm not manic enough to try any more categories just to see how much really is available.

Mura

Greetings, ano, from South Beach, a barrier island off the coast across of Miami. We booked the March 6th Caribbean cruise on Riviera because we are celebrating a significant event that occurs mid cruise. As veterans of many cruises, the relaxing itinerary is an attractive option. In 2015, we sailed Insignia from San Pedro (LA) to Miami. We were in a PH. It was smooth sailing until we exited the Panama Canal. The Captain announced that we were skipping Key West due to a course change to lessen exposure to a storm. The seas were rougher than usual at times, but not enough to interfere with our activities. We just had an extra sea day. Don't worry. The R ships sail very well. We were on them three times.

Mary

Thanks so much. We are looking at the one after also, its 5 days longer, and $1000 cheaper. (May 1) The Panama Canal is good, but it does make many Mexico stops to places we have been to and some not so safe places (ie Acipulco). Havana sounds interesting, but I think the Caribbean ports sound more interesting. (We've been to about half.) You usually can't go wrong in the Caribbean, :D.

Thanks so much. We are looking at the one after also, its 5 days longer, and $1000 cheaper. (May 1) The Panama Canal is good, but it does make many Mexico stops to places we have been to and some not so safe places (ie Acipulco). Havana sounds interesting, but I think the Caribbean ports sound more interesting. (We've been to about half.) You usually can't go wrong in the Caribbean, :D.

Havana (and other places in Cuba) was fantastic and WAY better than the many other Caribbean ports I've been to. Don't miss Cuba!

Check with your doctor first, but what worked great for me is Bonine (or CVS or another generic) which a CC member recommended starting three days before the cruise. Stormy seas on the corky Regent Navigator (smaller than the R ships and built on an old Russian icebreaker hull) to Bermuda, but I had no problems and ate every meal while my wife (who took nothing because she, er, doesn’t get seasick) was on green apples )and was just about that color)....

YMMV

May is the rainy season. Even if it doesn't rain, the humidity level is very high. We did the Panama Canal cruise in April. It was interesting and wet. Poncho is a must.

Hi Ano,

We have been on the R ships several times - love them.

If I were in the mood for a Caribbean journey, I would sign up for this one.

Our favorites are the Concierge aft cabins. There is little rolling since they are on the center line of the ship. The stern pitches much less than the bow. Watching the wake is glorious.

An A1 aft cabin is still available - 7116.

Ira

We were looking at the April 17, 2019 Regatta Miami to Miami. This would be our first Oceania cruise. Now I know its an older ship, so not selling very much = good price. My question, this would be by-far, the smallest ship we have ever taken, and what worries us is the large ocean stretches. Can anyone that has taken a cruise like this one in this region, comment on their experience. Just how rocky can it get. Also every class seems available which is also concerning as we see they often sell-out much further out than this cruise.

Oceania just announced Oceania Next

The Regatta is scheduled to be revamped for sailings after September 24, 2019. The cruise you are looking at is just a few months before that time frame so the ship may look a bit tired.

As for seasickness, I am very prone to seasickness. The size of the ship would not really matter. I have resorted to getting the prescription patch which I use for every cruise. I have tried everything else and that is the only thing that works for me. I don't think you can predict how rough the conditions could be during large ocean stretches.

My first cruise was back in 1991 aboard the original "Love Boat", the Pacific Princess, from Whittier to Vancouver. That ship was 20,000 GT, about 2/3rd's the size of the Insignia, and I don't recall any problems even while crossing the open Gulf of Alaska...