Making dinner reservations for 17 people

Nashna

We are a family group of 17. I am trying to make reservations for dinner for our Allure cruise in June, 2019. I can't do them online as there is a limit of 8 or 10 per reservation. I thought about making part of the reservations using one of the other rooms, but I can't be sure that we will all be in the same area. Is there someone I can deal directly with at RCCL? Two of the rooms are GS; four are in ocean view balconies. Is this something we could ask the concierge to help us with onboard even though only four of us are in GS? We plan to eat in the MDR most nights and would love to dine at the Chop House on our actual 50th anniversary. Dining as a family is very important to us.

We recently did a 8 person family cruise. We made reservations for all of us to eat together each evening. It was fun, but I would never attempt to have 17 eat at the same table. You could not speak to each other anyway, only to the ones sitting near to you. Now if the Chop House on your anniversary is a very important thing, I would go to them first thing on boarding and explain what you want. For the money you will pay there, they might be able to arrange it with enough notice.

Years ago, we had 13 family members cruise together. We had traditional dining and had two large round tables next to each other. We mixed up the seating so we all had an opportunity to be together. Traditional dining times don't work for us now, so we need to do MTD. We have two nights on this cruise when we need to be close together for family celebrations. I anticipate that people will be off doing their own thing during the day and the evening is a good time to reconnect.

We are a family group of 17. I am trying to make reservations for dinner for our Allure cruise in June, 2019. I can't do them online as there is a limit of 8 or 10 per reservation. I thought about making part of the reservations using one of the other rooms, but I can't be sure that we will all be in the same area. Is there someone I can deal directly with at RCCL? Two of the rooms are GS; four are in ocean view balconies. Is this something we could ask the concierge to help us with onboard even though only four of us are in GS? We plan to eat in the MDR most nights and would love to dine at the Chop House on our actual 50th anniversary. Dining as a family is very important to us.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to try to get 17 people seated together, or even at tables adjacent each, as there is no way in the world that you could talk to everyone at the table that size anyway! Not to mention that it takes a long time to serve a table that size. Make it easy on yourself; break up into three 6-tops and be done with it. If you insist that you must be together, have someone in one of the GS talk to their concierge about it.

If all of your reservations are linked together (both you have to contact RCCL and one person from each of the other cabins also has to contact them to link reservations), after doing this, you can then call RCCL on the phone and they will take care of the arrangements for this. You will not be seated at a single table, but could be accommodated at two tables adjacent to each other. We have done this several times with groups as large as 26 people. You will also select your dining time if you have chosen MTD. This SHOULD ensure it is set up prior to embarking on the ship.

That said, be sure when you get on board the ship to go to the individuals outside the dining room to ensure it is set up correctly (be warned, there are often complications where a cabin or two have been missed). Talk to those individuals and they will try to accommodate you the best they can. Be warned however, at this point, many of the preferential dining times if you select MTD will be unavailable. My opinion, try to set it up in advance and later on call in to RCCL and just ask them to tell you how your dining reservations are set up for each night to see if they respond in the same way you set them up on your previous call. Good luck. When it works out, it really makes for an enjoyable experience to gather everyone together to tell about their days' adventures.

We cruised with friends of ours and including family & friends we had 4 tables in one section of the dining room. At times some of the people rotated tables but because the 4 tables seating 4 to 8 were all next to each other, we all had the same wait staff. Our friends TA linked all our reservations.

Years ago, we had 13 family members cruise together. We had traditional dining and had two large round tables next to each other. We mixed up the seating so we all had an opportunity to be together. Traditional dining times don't work for us now, so we need to do MTD. We have two nights on this cruise when we need to be close together for family celebrations. I anticipate that people will be off doing their own thing during the day and the evening is a good time to reconnect.

I'm confused. Why do you need MTD if everyone is going to be together for dinner? Wouldn't traditional set seating work out better? Our first Royal cruise was a family cruise that my cousin was married on. I'm not sure of how many people we were in the group but it took two tour buses to bring us to the ceremony on the island and back. I would say we were at least 50 all ages. My kids were the youngest at 5 and 8 yrs old. We had late traditional seating with multiple tables all in one section. Everyone sat with whoever they wanted to which basically was generational. It couldn't have been planned better if it was a wedding at home where you have to assign guests to a table.

I think Traditional dining will work much better for what you want. I believe you are asking too much of MTD for 17 to be seated together or adjacent. MTD doesn't have that many large tables. I think if you chose that way there will be a long wait and nobody will be happy.

We had a group of 20 and linked our reservations together. You have to make sure each reservation selects the same dining time. Might be better to do late dining as early is usually more popular. We had three tables in an area and rotated tables. Was one of the best parts of the cruise. Several people had originally had early dining but switched to late on the ship. The MDR staff had to switch another table to accommodate the 3rd table but the staff and several passengers who moved were very understanding. It might be difficult for MTD with that many people. But call to find out what if there are any other options you might have. Have fun.

Last month on Harmony - we did 15. A bunch of us were linked before but not all of us. We tried talking to our travel agents but did not all parties did. Day of embarkation we went down to dining and they accommodated us. We had a table every night for 15 at 6pm. It worked for us. No, everyone cannot speak but you can change your seats every night.

We had a family of 14 last year all at one table. We moved around and sat next to different family members each night to mix it up. As someone had suggested above, we also thought about getting a couple smaller tables in the same section, but the one big table worked out nicely for us. They even served us extra dishes family style so that we could each try a bite of something different.

Contact rcldining@rccl.com and see if they can help you. They don't make table arrangements until 5 months out from your cruise. They sent me a list of all of my family members with table assignment and a seating chart when booked.

We had a family of 14 last year all at one table. We moved around and sat next to different family members each night to mix it up. As someone had suggested above, we also thought about getting a couple smaller tables in the same section, but the one big table worked out nicely for us. They even served us extra dishes family style so that we could each try a bite of something different.

Contact rcldining@rccl.com and see if they can help you. They don't make table arrangements until 5 months out from your cruise. They sent me a list of all of my family members with table assignment and a seating chart when booked.

Thank you so much for that contact. I will do email them closer to the sailing. It just makes sense to have the seating arranged way in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for that contact. I will do email them closer to the sailing. It just makes sense to have the seating arranged way in advance.

We have a group of 13 for this October and have first traditional seating in the MDR. I sent an email request for dining reservations, requesting 2 tables. I received a reply which said to re-submit my request within 50 days of my cruise. Just fyi.;)

We recently had a group of 9 in MTD on Brilliance of the Seas and had the same table and waitstaff each evening with no problems. On a subsequent sailing on Harmony of the Seas, the MTD dining room was able to accommodate 1 4 of us in adjacent tables with ease. MTD gave us the flexibility of selecting dining times outside of the set times for traditional dining, something which was important to our groups. The Maitre'd in each instance was exceptionally accommodating.

We have a group of 13 for this October and have first traditional seating in the MDR. I sent an email request for dining reservations, requesting 2 tables. I received a reply which said to re-submit my request within 50 days of my cruise. Just fyi.;)

Yes, you are correct. I should have said 50 days, NOT 5 months. Thank you for that correction. :)

On our upcoming cruise we are a group of 25. Because we had enough rooms, I put us all under a group booking and made dinner reservations through the groups dept. When I asked if they could accommodate the entire group for dinner (across several tables), I was told no problem. In fact, when making the reservation for the first night, I was asked if I wanted to extend it to every night. We have ultimately decided on three total nights.

In addition, I'm booked in star class and our genie also offered to set the reservations up for the group, which I thought definitely goes above and beyond as no one else in my group is in a suite.

I would definitely try calling and setting up reservations for specific nights. Also, as others have mentioned, whoever is in a GS should talk to the concierge once onboard and they may be able to confirm the reservations for you.

On our upcoming cruise we are a group of 25. Because we had enough rooms, I put us all under a group booking and made dinner reservations through the groups dept. When I asked if they could accommodate the entire group for dinner (across several tables), I was told no problem.

@goncruzn -- When you say you put your rooms under a group booking, is that something only a TA can do? And same questions regarding making dinner reservations though the groups department ... can anyone contact that department or only a TA? Thanks for any info.

@goncruzn -- When you say you put your rooms under a group booking, is that something only a TA can do? And same questions regarding making dinner reservations though the groups department ... can anyone contact that department or only a TA? Thanks for any info.

You can create a group directly with RC. However, I personally would use a reputable TA to get the best service.

You can create a group directly with RC. However, I personally would use a reputable TA to get the best service.

We will just have six staterooms. I thought 8 were needed for a group. We do have a travel agent working on this booking.

We will just have six staterooms. I thought 8 were needed for a group. We do have a travel agent working on this booking.

I believe you can have a group with less than 8 staterooms, but you won't get the TC credit. Not sure about the GAP amenities.

Thank you. We have many staterooms booked (12+), via at least two different TAs. Will have one of them get on this as it gets closer.