Cunard drinks are such a rip off..

Dw2065

Has an answer been provided to the question of whether or not Cruise Lines purchase their alcoholic drinks 'duty free'?

Yes they do. However, drink prices are not set on a "cost+" basis - although they'd be unlikely to sell them below cost. They are priced based upon demand AKA, "what the customer will pay" (which is, of course, a factor of pricing elsewhere and passenger expectations). Does that mean that the profit margin for a cocktail at sea is higher than at a major city hotel? Most Likely. However the cost calculations are likely vastly different in many areas, and the liquor tax is only one of many considerations.

(And yes, in the "old days" cruises were much more expensive and more inclusive, with extra items not being priced as profit-makers. Those days and those pricing models are as long gone as the ships they supported.)

Just been out for a meal at my local pub (national chain and not Wetherspoons) and the prices of drinks were as follows-

Pint of Carlsberg lager £2-49

Pint of John Smiths bitter £2-49

Pint of Strongbow cider £2-79

Pint of Guinness £3-29

Glass of wine (Red/White 175ml) £2-49

That is why when I am used to paying the above prices in pubs in my area I think Cunard's drink prices are extortionate.

Just been out for a meal at my local pub (national chain and not Wetherspoons) and the prices of drinks were as follows-

Pint of Guinness £3-29

That is why when I am used to paying the above prices in pubs in my area I think Cunard's drink prices are extortionate.

I assume in case of the Carlsberg you get £2-49 for drinking it?

Let's use the Big Mac index method. Apparently Cunard charges $6.50 for a pint of Guinness at the moment.

While today, £3-29 equals $4,30, five years ago it equalled $5. Ten years ago £3-29 would have equalled about $6!

I agree that Cunard adds 15% tip and there is no VAT included, but then it's worth remembering that a considerable amount of supplies have to be transported from Southampton around the globe in order to reach the ship. I think this is done with the beer too. Your pub is at a shorter distance to the brewery. Probably the pub chain also has a higher bargaining power than Cunard.

So yes, Cunard is more expensive than your local chain pub, but a considerable part of the margin exists due to fact that the pound has lost a lot of value against the dollar. This is of course for political reasons. Eventually you might want to hold HM Government and/or the Bank of England accountable for it. Also, I remember that there has been some referendum, which had quite an impact.....

I had a drink package in June on QM2

This is our third Cunard Cruise and we have tried all ships as it just seems to get more expensive each time. We have done six or seven Celebrity Cruses and to be honest the whole experience is much more pleasurable. The staff are friendlier and much more attentive, you have the ability to buy a drinks package, that’s if you didn’t get one in your holiday package and the food is higher quality and there is much more variety. I think Cunard has had the last of my money...

Stayed at the Ritz in London prior to a June QM2 cruise, my cocktail was about $27US. Cunard is a bargain

Pint of Guinness £3-29

I assume in case of the Carlsberg you get £2-49 for drinking it?

Let's use the Big Mac index method. Apparently Cunard charges $6.50 for a pint of Guinness at the moment.

While today, £3-29 equals $4,30, five years ago it equalled $5. Ten years ago £3-29 would have equalled about $6!

I agree that Cunard adds 15% tip and there is no VAT included, but then it's worth remembering that a considerable amount of supplies have to be transported from Southampton around the globe in order to reach the ship. I think this is done with the beer too. Your pub is at a shorter distance to the brewery. Probably the pub chain also has a higher bargaining power than Cunard.

So yes, Cunard is more expensive than your local chain pub, but a considerable part of the margin exists due to fact that the pound has lost a lot of value against the dollar. This is of course for political reasons. Eventually you might want to hold HM Government and/or the Bank of England accountable for it. Also, I remember that there has been some referendum, which had quite an impact.....

So then explain how P&O (essentially the same company operating under the same conditions) cost significantly less for drinks.

Your apparent justifications are totally nullified.

(Also Cunard use dollars as it conveniently benefits Cunard)

Edited by ZZRLAD

So then explain how P&O (essentially the same company operating under the same conditions) cost significantly less for drinks.

Your apparent justifications are totally nullified.

(Also Cunard use dollars as it conveniently benefits Cunard)

The Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation company states the following prices

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/drink_cost

£4-10 for a pint of John Smith, which is $5,30 at today's value

£4-75 for a pint of Peroni, which is $6,16!

Unless you can produce a different price list, I consider my argument verified!

The Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation company states the following prices

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/drink_cost

£4-10 for a pint of John Smith, which is $5,30 at today's value

£4-75 for a pint of Peroni, which is $6,16!

Unless you can produce a different price list, I consider my argument verified!

You are like your previous post talking about American point of view which alcohol is plainly more expensive than in the UK and using US exchange rates. My argument is from a UK perspective where on Cunard a Guinness is $6-50 +15% service charge which is included whether we like it or not. Which totals $7-50 and at today's tourist exchange rate in the UK of $1-27 to the £Sterling means for the equivalent pint that I paid yesterday at £3-29 would be £5-90. With regards Cunard having to pay transport for alcohol around the world this is laughable as most drinks are available to purchase worldwide under license and even then with Cunard except for world cruises are based in Southampton at which they dock regularly and take onboard massive stock of alcohol and pay a very good trade prices.

Stayed at the Ritz in London prior to a June QM2 cruise, my cocktail was about $27US. Cunard is a bargain

Totally laughable to compare prices in the Ritz in London to a bar on any Cunard ship even if dining in QG it is nowhere near the standard or cost of staying in the Ritz and even then whatever standard of stateroom/suite on Cunard the price is still the same and nothing will change my mind that Cunard's drinks price3s are a rip off and obviously by the emptiness of many bars on my last 2 cruises on QE and QM2 so do many others agree if it was such a bargain they would be full.

I guess that some people here prefer paying higher prices for the cruise to get pub prices in the bars.

I fail to understand the issue of paying $ 6 for a beer after having spend hundreds for a cruise.

And we have found out, that Cunard‘s drink prices are pretty moderate compared to other cruise lines (minus P&O ), and that should be our benchmark - and not the local pub (or P&O)

I guess that some people here prefer paying higher prices for the cruise to get pub prices in the bars.

I fail to understand the issue of paying $ 6 for a beer after having spend hundreds for a cruise.

And we have found out, that Cunard‘s drink prices are pretty moderate compared to other cruise lines (minus P&O ), and that should be our benchmark - and not the local pub (or P&O)

Basically, it is probably an innate dislike of being exploited.

If Cunard's, or more likely Carnival HQ's, intention is to maximise alcoholic drinks prices as a revenue stream then, by certain accounts, the strategy is failing.

I doubt it, the same people who want to pay £3 for their beer want their cruise to be as cheap as possible and will be the first to complain at any drop in standards.

Totally laughable to compare prices in the Ritz in London to a bar on any Cunard ship even if dining in QG it is nowhere near the standard or cost of staying in the Ritz and even then whatever standard of stateroom/suite on Cunard the price is still the same and nothing will change my mind that Cunard's drinks price3s are a rip off and obviously by the emptiness of many bars on my last 2 cruises on QE and QM2 so do many others agree if it was such a bargain they would be full.

Maybe as laughable as a comparison with the local pub.....

Benchmark should be other premium cruiselines, and as we have found out, Cunard is relatively moderate in comparison.

The weakness of the £ is unfortunate - We have been with Cunard for 4 years now and bar prices have stayed the same (in US$).

If the brits insist on paying the same with a substancial weaker currency, they basically demand a price drop, see how realisticly that will happen.

I think, that the emptiness that you have observed have only little to do with the bar prices.

Edited by Yoshikitty

Basically, it is probably an innate dislike of being exploited.

If Cunard's, or more likely Carnival HQ's, intention is to maximise alcoholic drinks prices as a revenue stream then, by certain accounts, the strategy is failing.

It certainly is by the lack of people in majority of bars in the evening.

Maybe as laughable as a comparison with the local pub.....

Benchmark should be other premium cruiselines, and as we have found out, Cunard is relatively moderate in comparison.

The weakness of the £ is unfortunate - We have been with Cunard for 4 years now and bar prices have stayed the same (in US$).

If the brits insist on paying the same with a substancial weaker currency, they basically demand a price drop, see how realisticly that will happen.

I think, that the emptiness that you have observed have only little to do with the bar prices.

They have had a significant increase in prices in the summer of 2017 and also changed the measures of the spirits to 1oz and 2oz and also started charging for mixer at $1.75 +15% service charge to go with the spirit when it used to be free.

They have had a significant increase in prices in the summer of 2017 and also changed the measures of the spirits to 1oz and 2oz and also started charging for mixer at $1.75 +15% service charge to go with the spirit when it used to be free.

Definitely a big change. As a person that sails on most cruise lines and enjoys a cocktail or two, I'm in a position to compare Cunard's drink prices and quality with many other lines. Also living in the US, we are used to strong drinks when compared to the strict measures of Europe. Of the lines I've sailed, Cunard's are probably the most expensive and also the weakest. So not only the most expensive, but a lousy mixed drink at that. Oceania and NCL probably come in a close second on cost, but at least they use a standard US pour and sometimes a little free pour to top it off. More bang for the buck. That doesn't happen on Cunard. I love Cunard, but I'm disappointed they felt the need to become aligned with P&O on certain policies. Let Cunard be Cunard. At least I can bring a bottle of liquor onboard, something I never used to to but will from now on so long as I can.

Definitely a big change. As a person that sails on most cruise lines and enjoys a cocktail or two, I'm in a position to compare Cunard's drink prices and quality with many other lines. Also living in the US, we are used to strong drinks when compared to the strict measures of Europe. Of the lines I've sailed, Cunard's are probably the most expensive and also the weakest. So not only the most expensive, but a lousy mixed drink at that. Oceania and NCL probably come in a close second on cost, but at least they use a standard US pour and sometimes a little free pour to top it off. More bang for the buck. That doesn't happen on Cunard. I love Cunard, but I'm disappointed they felt the need to become aligned with P&O on certain policies. Let Cunard be Cunard. At least I can bring a bottle of liquor onboard, something I never used to to but will from now on so long as I can.

They have not become aligned with P&O on spirit measures as Cunard serve 1oz and 2 oz measures which I assume are American measures as they are not recognised in UK. All spirit drinks on P&O and in all pubs, restaurants and hotels serve spirits in 25 ml measures which is UK standard and the law.

They have not become aligned with P&O on spirit measures as Cunard serve 1oz and 2 oz measures which I assume are American measures as they are not recognised in UK. All spirit drinks on P&O and in all pubs, restaurants and hotels serve spirits in 25 ml measures which is UK standard and the law.

However they are pouring they are weak drinks by US standards from my experience.

However they are pouring they are weak drinks by US standards from my experience.

1oz = 29.16ml so obviously a drink with a spirit in would be stronger than if using UK measurement of 25ml. I should imagine, as not being a cocktail drinker, these are a free pour and can vary from bartender to bartender.

Quick question - if I were to order one of the available Bourbons in a bar on the QM “on the rocks” would I be presented with a 1 oz pour?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably a 2oz Pour unless you asked for 1oz. :D

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/cunard/life-on-board/drink_cost

Quick question - if I were to order one of the available Bourbons in a bar on the QM “on the rocks” would I be presented with a 1 oz pour?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The barman should ask if you want small/single/1oz or large/double/2oz and then you choose but I should imagine unless you specify they will craftily bring a large double/2oz.

The barman should ask if you want small/single/1oz or large/double/2oz and then you choose but I should imagine unless you specify they will craftily bring a large double/2oz.
Can't speak for what happens on QM2 but currently bar staff on Queen Victoria are asking whether you want 1 or 2 ounces and what brand of mixer.