Whales in Boston Harbor

sail7seas

If you will be in Boson to board your cruse watch for whales very close to shore. They are only about 1/3 mile out and whale wach tours aare seing multiple breaches evefry trip they go out to look for whales.. EVEYr day lately, there have been numerous videos of whales on our evening news... tails breaches , juveniles flipping high iabove thre water into the air, two or gthree at a time. Given the abundance of whales thiS summer, Boaters are beeing warned to slow down and stay well lear of the whales. I havenot heard a reason why here re so mny moew this year han usual.

If you are interested and will be in Boston, t ake a look out for them

Edited by sail7seas

We've had whales for years but this year they are in high numbers and very active and putting on REAT shows.

I posted this thread a s from time to time, there are questions here about whale watch tours.

If you will be in Boson to board your cruse watch for whales very close to shore. They are only about 1/3 mile out and whale wach tours aare seing multiple breaches evefry trip they go out to look for whales.. EVEYr day lately, there have been numerous videos of whales on our evening news... tails breaches , juveniles flipping high iabove thre water into the air, two or gthree at a time. Given the abundance of whales thiS summer, Boaters are beeing warned to slow down and stay well lear of the whales. I havenot heard a reason why here re so mny moew this year han usual.

How late in the season do they stay around? We will be there Oct. 20.

of

How late in the season do they stay around? We will be there Oct. 20.

Varies, No predicting

A local newspaper, today, has a front page photo of two humpbacks feeding in Marblehad harbor. That is a town about 25 minute drive north of Boston

www.itemlive.com

II have not looked athe on line photoo but someone brought me the newspaepr this morning.. The front page photo is amazing. They wsere feeding on a school of fish and you can see the small fish in the photo

I just checked the link and the photo on line is good. IMO

Would have loved to see them on our New England /Canada cruise last Sept ;but ,no such luck for us . Many will see that truly wonderful display of whale play ;)

You don't need to go out on a ship, or a boat to see them, they have been close enough to shore to see them from land

We were on a land vacation in Bar Harbor, ME at the beginning of the month and went on a whale watch. We saw 4 Humpbacks which were very active and came up right next to the boat, and also saw 5 finbacks as well as about 70 dolphins.

The naturist on board said that this year has had the most whale activity she has seen in many years.

I will also add that if you like to see whales, consider a cruise that calls on Samana, DR in January or February. The Humpback whales go to Samana Bay to mate and also to deliver the baby whales from the previous year's mating season! We were there in 2016 on the Celebrity Constellation and it was amazing, both on the whale watch boat tour we took and sitting on our balcony leaving the bay with whales breaching not far from the ship!

K & R, Thanks for sharing that with us.

Sounds like a real show in Bar Har b or and at Samana. Whales are incredible creatures and a real treat to see them playing and feeding.

Did you see any of the new baby whales at Samana?

(y)(y)(y)Thanks, s7s, for starting this Thread and sharing this fun info. I wish the whales had been at Boston Harbor a few years ago when we were there on our annual Summer Adventure with our granddaughters. Thanks again.

The link to the photo is now showing the front page of today's issue(and the whale picture is gone) . i don't know if you can enter yesterday's date to s that front page and the whale photo.

I am happy maybe some people go t pleasure reading this thread