cabin service

CruisinCrow

On our most recent Dream cruise, the cabin attendant definitely did not clean the cabin even once a day on multiple days....worst service ever. We prepaid all grats. We were absent from the room, having fun with shore excursions, etc. so there were plenty of times for the usually ninja-like cleaners to bring the room back to the standard (not that we made a mess nor left towels, clothing, food trays all around). It just didn't happen like usual. Very disappointing to not even see once-daily service.

Do the cabin attendants still ask if you want morning or evening service and can you still say both? Or are you limited to just one service now? We'll be on Liberty in November.

We asked for both, but if we happen to see her in the hall in the evening, we would just change out the towels and call it good.

On our most recent Dream cruise, the cabin attendant definitely did not clean the cabin even once a day on multiple days....worst service ever. We prepaid all grats. We were absent from the room, having fun with shore excursions, etc. so there were plenty of times for the usually ninja-like cleaners to bring the room back to the standard (not that we made a mess nor left towels, clothing, food trays all around). It just didn't happen like usual. Very disappointing to not even see once-daily service.

So, did you bring it to the attention of Guest Services?

On our last cruise My buddy would leave do not disturb sign on the door. He doesn't like people to enter his cabin. Little paranoid and He would just exchange his towels directly On the 3rd day. The Steward and the head Steward stopped him on his way out. Like they were waiting for him. The steward was worried that he may have a complaint against her so they were trying to resolve it. Apparently if they get so many complaints they get sent home. He cleared it up and told them that is just how he likes it So they were relieved.

Hope you complained to either her boss or guest services

Thanks, all! We don't need towel animals but we do appreciate ice twice a day and fresh towels.

Our strewerd on the magic asked for morning, evening or both. I always say, "I'd appreciate both, but I know you have a lot of cabins, so if it's a bad day, I'd just love fresh towels."

We ended up with 2X a day service and even double towel animals most days.

This should have been brought to the attention of Guest Services and the Deck Supervisor. If still not resolved to your satisfaction, it should have then been brought to the attention of the Hotel Director.

Had you not prepaid your gratuities, would you have considered lowering the Housekeeping portion to reflect the lack of service you received after following the above chain of command while seeking a resolution?

This should have been brought to the attention of Guest Services and the Deck Supervisor. If still not resolved to your satisfaction, it should have then been brought to the attention of the Hotel Director.

OP, Had you not prepaid your gratuities, would you have considered lowering the Housekeeping portion to reflect the lack of service you received after following the above chain of command while seeking a resolution?

You are paying for 2x service and if you do not get it would complain and go up the chain. I would have by the end reduce tips giving the steward what he deserved based on what he did do.

Hope you complained to either her boss or guest services

I told them in the post-cruise survey. Kept the pre-paid grats on (they do have to feed their families). Didn't leave any extra tip each day since no one serviced the cabin regularly. I expected how things used to be. Will have much lower expectations for our next cruise. Note: I haven't felt compelled to book anything for the future which is unusual.

I told them in the post-cruise survey. Kept the pre-paid grats on (they do have to feed their families). Didn't leave any extra tip each day since no one serviced the cabin regularly. I expected how things used to be. Will have much lower expectations for our next cruise. Note: I haven't felt compelled to book anything for the future which is unusual.

Had you visited Guest Services after the first missed cleaning, you would not have endured a second missed cleaning.

Neither the post cruise survey nor complaining here remedied the situation.

People have to be proactive.

Sorry disagree on how you handled this.

Reducing or eliminating the tips to the steward might have made him realize he was not performing his job properly. Having his superior talk to him might have helped or given them a reason to send him home. No reason to accept behavior that you received.

The vast majority of stewards do a fine job and would give you no reason to have lower expectations

Sorry disagree on how you handled this.

Reducing or eliminating the tips to the steward might have made him realize he was not performing his job properly. Having his superior talk to him might have helped or given them a reason to send him home. No reason to accept behavior that you received.

The vast majority of stewards do a fine job and would give you no reason to have lower expectations

Employees, regardless of their situation, need to be held accountable to perform the basic responsibilities of the job description in which they were hired to perform. In this case, the room should have been serviced at least once a day unless otherwise requested.

If it bothered OP enough to mention it on the survey and post about it on Cruise Critic while giving second thoughts to reserving another vacation with this cruise operator, it should have been brought to the attention of the onboard leadership team for an immediate resolution.

my first cruise was last summer on the vista....I had done my research and knew to tip extra and ask for twice a day......so on embarkation day the steward asked if I wanted morning or evening...I said both mostly because we had 4 people in a balcony including 2 teenage boys...I also handed him $20 and apologized in advanced for having teenagers. no towel animals for me...my SIL was a few doors down only asked for evening service did not/does not tip extra....towel animals every night...addressed her in the hallway every time we walked by.....my room was kept decent so I did not complain to guest service...its not their fault he didn't like us!

Next cruise is on Horizon June 2019....teenagers have their own cabin.....hoping for better service

Wondering if I should Tip extra daily or wait till the end. I think tipping bartenders well the first day got me good service but not so much the room steward

my first cruise was last summer on the vista....I had done my research and knew to tip extra and ask for twice a day......so on embarkation day the steward asked if I wanted morning or evening...I said both mostly because we had 4 people in a balcony including 2 teenage boys...I also handed him $20 and apologized in advanced for having teenagers. no towel animals for me...my SIL was a few doors down only asked for evening service did not/does not tip extra....towel animals every night...addressed her in the hallway every time we walked by.....my room was kept decent so I did not complain to guest service...its not their fault he didn't like us!

Next cruise is on Horizon June 2019....teenagers have their own cabin.....hoping for better service

Wondering if I should Tip extra daily or wait till the end. I think tipping bartenders well the first day got me good service but not so much the room steward

Sorry to hear that your "tip" for preferred treatment didn't work out as expected. As with the nature of the hospitality industry, service will vary from person to person and cannot be guaranteed.

Edited by xDisconnections

We have now done well over 25 cruises and never saw the need to bribe a crew member with daily tips to do their jobs and have almost always gotten excellent service. If they do their jobs we just give them the autotips. If they go above and beyond will always give them extra the last day.

Asking for Three Times a Day may help Carnival fropm starting to charge soon for Cabin Service. Look what thet have done not to allow even Bottled Water to be brought on by us paying cruisers. EG: I pay five cents per bottle, Carnival charges to the cabin 45 cents per bootle plus a !5 % Tip/FEE! (What the heck is the FEE for?))

Do the cabin attendants still ask if you want morning or evening service and can you still say both? Or are you limited to just one service now? We'll be on Liberty in November.

Why would wait until it is too late to get the situation dealt with to address it? Seems kind of passive aggressive to not deal with it but then slam the steward on the survey.

Sorry to hear that your "tip" for preferred treatment didn't work out as expected. As with the nature of the hospitality industry, service will vary from person to person and cannot be guaranteed.
I disagree that tipping extra is asking for preferred treatment. I also give $20 with initial requests (mini bar emptied, robes, etc) and more at the end of the week for great service just because I appreciate it, not because I'm bribing anyone.

Also, towel animals should be standard, not "extra".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app