Princess website shows price drop but price goes back up when I am logged in

hllwdcruiser

I'm a little irritated....

When i delete all the cookies and do a mock booking on a cruise I just booked the fare has gone down by $20pp but when I log in to Princess it reverts back up to my original fare.

I even put a hold on a cabin right next to mine using my maiden name and another address and sent the booking number to my TA. Princess refused to honor the lower fare saying it is only offered to Northeast customers. We are in upstate New York at the moment but our permanent home is in SE Florida.

I've always known that websites can track you by your location even if you delete cookies and attempt to be incognito - but this seems a little far fetched. I just think it is a quirk in their system and too difficult for the Princess rep to try to resolve.

I'm not really going to worry about the $40 - but it would have paid for a few drinks or a bottle of wine.

When i delete all the cookies and do a mock booking on a cruise I just booked the fare has gone down by $20pp but when I log in to Princess it reverts back up to my original fare.

I even put a hold on a cabin right next to mine using my maiden name and another address and sent the booking number to my TA. Princess refused to honor the lower fare saying it is only offered to Northeast customers. We are in upstate New York at the moment but our permanent home is in SE Florida.

I've always known that websites can track you by your location even if you delete cookies and attempt to be incognito - but this seems a little far fetched. I just think it is a quirk in their system and too difficult for the Princess rep to try to resolve.

I'm not really going to worry about the $40 - but it would have paid for a few drinks or a bottle of wine.

If you are signed in it goes by the address you have on file.

Sounds like you are seeing regional promotions.

If you are signed in it goes by the address you have on file.

Sounds like you are seeing regional promotions.

Yes, that's what they said. I never realized they did that although the airlines do it all the time. Good to know. Thanks!

Try using a VPN. I live in Chico, CA but currently my IP shows Los Angeles. I can make it London or pretty much anywhere with the VPN. Of course Princess knows my real address so that might not help.

Even TAs outside the region where the "special" is being offered may not be able see the special pricing.

Several years ago I found a significantly better fare for a booked cruise, and asked the TA (who was in another state) to try to get it for us. She couldn't even see it online, When she phoned Princess to ask about it and try to find out why she could not see it, she said she was told it was FL specific, which is where I live.

Ultimately, she was able to switch my name to be the first on the booking, instead of my California residing cabin-mate's, and rebook it at the "FL special" fare, which saved us a nice amount.

We live in Southern California and a few years ago were pricing a Mexico cruise out of San Pedro. When I signed in the price increased $200/person from $599 to $799. I checked with friends in Prescott, AZ, Dayton, Ohio, and Suburban, DC. They all saw the lower price when they signed in. Two were TA’s and when they checked the price for me with my CC number the price increased $200/person. We didn’t book that cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try using a VPN. I live in Chico, CA but currently my IP shows Los Angeles. I can make it London or pretty much anywhere with the VPN. Of course Princess knows my real address so that might not help.

Exactly - I was able to do a mock booking at the lower fare, put it on hold and even screen shotted it for proof if the booking number wasn't enough. It did't matter to the Princess rep because as soon as they looked me up they had our real address and said that we didn't qualify for that fare.

We live in Southern California and a few years ago were pricing a Mexico cruise out of San Pedro. When I signed in the price increased $200/person from $599 to $799. I checked with friends in Prescott, AZ, Dayton, Ohio, and Suburban, DC. They all saw the lower price when they signed in. Two were TA’s and when they checked the price for me with my CC number the price increased $200/person. We didn’t book that cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Something just doesn't seem right about that. I get that they do regional sales but I would think that if a customer finds out they are offering the same exact cruise for a lower price I would hope that they would match the price as a courtesy.

Something just doesn't seem right about that. I get that they do regional sales but I would think that if a customer finds out they are offering the same exact cruise for a lower price I would hope that they would match the price as a courtesy.

So if I living in Michigan find out there is a sale for FL residents they should give me that price? Because I found out?

And if I search while vacationing in FL and find a reduced fare for that region, I should be able to get it even though I don’t live there? Incredible!

However, I don’t agree with their offering regional sales in the first place.

HaHa........Surely you jest