Food Brought on to the ship at Ports

CruiseGal999

Can packaged/sealed food/treats be brought onto NCL ships from the ports you stop at?

Nothing alcoholic ... but I'm thinking a small jar of preserves, or box of chocolates, maybe cheese, anything purchased that is packaged & sealed?

No problem with these items. Anything fresh or prepared may be turned away (I have seen people standing at the gangway gobbling hamburgers and fries, etc.).

No problem with these items. Anything fresh or prepared may be turned away (I have seen people standing at the gangway gobbling hamburgers and fries, etc.).

I've brought fudge back a lot! And at one of the stops in Alaska there is a little kiosk outside one of the stores that I always buy kettle corn and bring back. We have never had any trouble bringing food back on.

This is from a 2018 season Freestyle Daily from the Pearl in Alaska stating no food at all can be brought aboard. Seems harsh for an all north American itinerary. Haven't heard how strongly it's enforced.

Regulations will vary from country to country and port to port.tapatalk_1535635016342.jpeg.b97c3fedcb157323c1947777a21d5bd7.jpeg

This is from a 2018 season Freestyle Daily from the Pearl in Alaska stating no food at all can be brought aboard. Seems harsh for an all north American itinerary. Haven't heard how strongly it's enforced.

Regulations will vary from country to country and port to port.[ATTACH]427416[/ATTACH]

As it states, it is for agricultural reasons. Even within the continental US, many states have agricultural inspection stations at the borders to prevent invasive plants or insects from being brought into their state. My DW and I had to stop at one when we moved to CA years ago and my wife almost lost a few of her houseplants we had in the back seat of our car.

As it states, it is for agricultural reasons. Even within the continental US, many states have agricultural inspection stations at the borders to prevent invasive plants or insects from being brought into their state. My DW and I had to stop at one when we moved to CA years ago and my wife almost lost a few of her houseplants we had in the back seat of our car.

Yes, I remember the California border agricultural inspections. And Hawaii airports have double inspection stations, one for regular airport security, one for agricultural. I've just never seen the Alaska one quite so restrictive in the past.

I had no issues with rum cake in Bermuda or candy, jam, and a sealed package of pasteurized cheese in Norway.

In Quebec City I managed to bring a small bottle of hard cider on board -- when the security guy asked what it was, I said "cider" and he waved me on through. That was definitely skirting the rules, but it was a small bottle and maybe he just didn't want the hassle of having it sent to storage until the end of the cruise.

Now that I think of it, the only thing I've had confiscated so far was a fancy decorative candle that I bought at Harbour Nights in Bermuda. I didn't even think about the fact that it was a candle when I bought it! It looked like a mini aquarium and was much too pretty to light. :) I got it back at debarkation.

Me too on the candles on Harbor Nights!! They are so pretty and for the price are fantastic gifts!! Didn't realize till i went to board that they were a problem! Oh well, I got them back when I disembarked and everyone loved their gifts including me!!!! UGH! can't wait to be back in Bermuda!!! I just got home home last Friday!!!!:p:p;p:p;p

Alcoholic food appears to be allowed. :) Bermuda makes some really delicious rum cakes we couldn't pass up.

that is very different from bringing actual alcohol back from a port. Yes, there are several places that make rum cakes and they are a very favorite gift to bring to people. Jamaica is another one that has good rum cakes. It might be the only favorable thing about Jamaica.

Can packaged/sealed food/treats be brought onto NCL ships from the ports you stop at?

Nothing alcoholic ... but I'm thinking a small jar of preserves, or box of chocolates, maybe cheese, anything purchased that is packaged & sealed?

You can bring package food, and unpackage food on board at any stop, including initial embarkation. Your issue would be can you take it off at home, and many food items can be taken off in the US, you just need to declare them.

You can bring package food, and unpackage food on board at any stop, including initial embarkation. Your issue would be can you take it off at home, and many food items can be taken off in the US, you just need to declare them.

My cruise is 20 days long. I am thinking I will enjoy these things on my cruise, share with friends .... preserves with breakfast, cheese with crackers & wine ... etc. Small items.

Our last cruise on Jewel through SE Asia, it was interesting to see crew members bringing 2 liter bottles of Coke and packages of chips and cookies back from ports. They had no problem bringing them back on board. However...

The poor man who had 4 to-go boxes of food he wanted to bring back was a NO GO. They had to explain to him it was not allowed. English was not his first language and he looked so forlorn when they said they had to toss it.

Our last cruise on Jewel through SE Asia, it was interesting to see crew members bringing 2 liter bottles of Coke and packages of chips and cookies back from ports. They had no problem bringing them back on board. However...

The poor man who had 4 to-go boxes of food he wanted to bring back was a NO GO. They had to explain to him it was not allowed. English was not his first language and he looked so forlorn when they said they had to toss it.

Guess that the difference was that one was packaged food and the other was not.