Notes from Queen Victoria to the Mediterranean

Host Hattie

Excellent. Looks like you are doing quite well on your Cruise Critic treasure hunt. Do you think those "2 or 3 men without jackets" in the theatre count as "miscreant lemmings" or should we hold to a higher (lower) standard for that such as t-shirts, shorts, or baseball caps? :D
Fortunately no sightings of any of those (yet).

Day 4 continued

We were a little late sailing and enjoyed sailaway on our balcony. We made it to the Commodore Club just after 7.30, there were very few spare seats again. I had a rhubarb daiquiri, it seems to have disappeared off the menu but that didn't seem to be a problem. More hot canapes, that's every night so far. I didn't notice anyone improperly dressed.

The dinner menu initially looked a bit disappointing, between the table we tried 5 of the 8 main courses - I had the veal which was good.

We were intrigued by the idea of a comedy string quartet, so I headed straight for the theatre to get a box and Mr HH for our drinks order. I enjoyed the show a lot, probably just as well we were in a box ! The number of men without jackets was probably up to 7 or 8 but still not enough to be classed as lemmings and I didn't notice any baseball caps/t shirts/shorts or jeans.

We called it a night, we're on an excursion in Cartagena.

Thank you, we're Platinum and had a 12.30 embarkation time so we were a little early. That's been fairly typical of our recent experience in Southampton. The terminal was fairly quiet when we arrived and I didn't have time to fill in the Health form before we went to a desk.

There was a bit of a queue for security but nothing to delay us much

My experience (on the same cruise) was similar.

As definitely not Platinum had an embarkation time of 13.30 but turned up at 11.30 anyway (didn't want to chance that days industrial action on the trains planned for that day).

No queueing at all to the check in desk. Given a card and asked to wait in the departure lounge whilst the special people went through and 15 to 20 mins later going through security so onboard by 12.

We are loving your daily reporting, notice that there is a changed menu in the Verandah till Saturday will have to check out what it will change to.

Boarding on Saturday, Kate, looking forward to meeting you at the M & G on Sun morning

Peter

Have a good journey and stay in Rome

Well the chair hogs are out in force this afternoon in a very toasty Cartagena. Loads of loungers which have sat empty but for a towel for the last hour.

And the more sophisticated chair hogs are now reserving loungers by the pool and seats in the shade so they can alternate between them.

Pleased to hear the Bar staff TACTFULY approached guests to mention the dress code, great, pity the entertainment staff do not do the same in the theatre? Is Laura from Fleetwood? If so, what a great girl.[emoji3][emoji10]
I'm not sure but I lived there for a while so if I get chance I'll ask. She sounds as if she could be.

Pleased to hear the Bar staff TACTFULY approached guests to mention the dress code, great, pity the entertainment staff do not do the same in the theatre?

The only things the waiters said to the chap not wearing a jacket in the Commodore Club who was sat behind me yesterday evening before dinner was "what would you like" and "can I get you anything else".

The only things the waiters said to the chap not wearing a jacket in the Commodore Club who was sat behind me yesterday evening before dinner was "what would you like" and "can I get you anything else".

What was his reply, Yes a jacket?;p

Well the chair hogs are out in force this afternoon in a very toasty Cartagena. Loads of loungers which have sat empty but for a towel for the last hour.

And the more sophisticated chair hogs are now reserving loungers by the pool and seats in the shade so they can alternate between them.

That’s one of my hates, they get what they consider the best bed loungers and then stick towels on the normal loungers next to them “just in case”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What about the chair hogs who put bags and sunhats on their towels to make it look as if they have just popped inside for a few minutes.

Earlier this year we saw a man claim a total of 10 chairs in and out of the sun. We were there for an hour and no one came to join him. We left our sunbeds clear for someone else to use as we knew we wouldn't be back until much later in the day.

Day 5

We woke up to the announcement that we had arrived in Cartegena, we had pastries and tea from room service and went down to the Queens Room for our Beach transfer to La Manga. It did exactly what it said, our guide was informative but not too chatty, the transfer took around 30 minutes. We got 2 sunbeds, an umbrella & wifi for €8 on the Mar Menor side and passed a peaceful couple of hours. We had time for a quick look and a paddle at the busier Mediterranean side and had to be back at the coach for 1.50. It would have been nice to have a full day there but we knew that it was only a few hours when I booked. Having been once I would probably hire a car next time.

We were too late for pub lunch but fortunately the Chart Room serves light lunch until 3pm. We did pay a brief visit to the Lido and got out as quickly as we could.

10% VAT is added to the price of drinks because we are in Spanish waters.

It was very warm so I escaped to our shady balcony/cabin for a snooze while Mr HH went to explore the city.

Sailaway was in bright sunshine, perfect for cava on our balcony. Once we were ready for dinner we went to the Lido Bar for a drink, it was a lovely evening and it was very good of Changez to come out to play for us.

I had the salmon, Rack of lamb and chocolate fondant. It was a very good dinner menu for me, Mr HH wasn't impressed with the Cherry Strudel, dried up leftovers from first sitting was his verdict (after he'd finished it !).

Our Sommelier disappeared again leaving us with a bottle of red wine with the cork still in, our waiter managed to track down the Sommelier from the next section, at least we'll have plenty left for tomorrow.

We didn't fancy the show but thought the Karaoke might be entertaining, we weren't the only ones to have that idea and after a few minutes trying to get comfortable on a stool, looking at a wall and the singers being drowned out by the noise of the next table we gave up and retreated to the tranquillity of the Queens Room and advanced level people watching.

We had a quick trip to Deck 10 to look at the stars (they were better from the balcony) and called it a night.

IMG_20180904_202217_1.thumb.jpg.1b3a5985b4f911860dd7dcc088604d97.jpg

IMG_20180904_085622_1.thumb.jpg.aa7c6737e9a3fcdf40bc8c7e09e026b3.jpg

IMG_20180904_113458.thumb.jpg.0c4c6c7016eaa7f35056afa90c7125c5.jpg

IMG_20180904_152417.thumb.jpg.a27776fc6f0658275fcc4f8454137eec.jpg

IMG_20180904_150132.thumb.jpg.9c7d895835516e4defd3dd6d5644af4d.jpg

We didn't fancy the show but thought the Karaoke might be entertaining

The theatre was 80% full for the late show. The musical director chose wisely for the Iggy Pop song to accompany the Warhol section.

Our Sommelier disappeared again leaving us with a bottle of red wine with the cork still in, our waiter managed to track down the Sommelier from the next section, at least we'll have plenty left for tomorrow.

The sommelier I bribed on day 1 has continued to provide attentive service.

Ship was moored at the furthest point possible in Valencia this morning, but fortunately a shuttle bus to the city centre.

Unfortunately after a bright start the weather has changed to rain, thunder and lightning with odd rays of sunshine.

Kate, thank you for the Chart Room menu that's very helpful to me, I appreciate you taking the time out to share that, hope you have a lovely day in Valencia, it seems really strange that you and Victoria are only an hour down the motorway from us today. If you see a Spanish wine 'Bahia de Denia' give it a try, it's grown (the grapes obviously) here in our valley (Vall de Pop) and has won many awards in recent years. Keep sharing, we all enjoy it, but first and foremost have a great time.

The theatre was 80% full for the late show. The musical director chose wisely for the Iggy Pop song to accompany the Warhol section.

The sommelier I bribed on day 1 has continued to provide attentive service.

Ship was moored at the furthest point possible in Valencia this morning, but fortunately a shuttle bus to the city centre.

Unfortunately after a bright start the weather has changed to rain, thunder and lightning with odd rays of sunshine.

I think you are giving the wrong impression, when saying you bribe crew members🙄.

Kate, thank you for the Chart Room menu that's very helpful to me, I appreciate you taking the time out to share that, hope you have a lovely day in Valencia, it seems really strange that you and Victoria are only an hour down the motorway from us today. If you see a Spanish wine 'Bahia de Denia' give it a try, it's grown (the grapes obviously) here in our valley (Vall de Pop) and has won many awards in recent years. Keep sharing, we all enjoy it, but first and foremost have a great time.
Thank you, it was a rather brief visit into the city as we didn't go out until after the storm had passed.

I didn't get chance to look for the wine but will it be available in Barcelona ?IMG_20180905_111349.thumb.jpg.f6bebf30a2d2443e0a3e09a4a8c4f97c.jpg

Hi Hattie

2 quick questions if I may:

Who is the entertainment director right now and

is the gin bar still mobbed?

We visited the gin bar the first afternoon then one cheeky afternoon stop but other times was full and its quite small.

We did gin tasting which i recommend but suffered the next day as the measures served were not small and Adam the bar man was amazing.

Sounds like an amazing cruise -roll on 6/10 when we board