Notes from Queen Victoria to the Mediterranean

Host Hattie

Kate, yes you should be able to purchase Bahia de Denia in a good wine merchant in Barcelona, if only you could stay onboard a couple of days, we're bringing some onboard. Sorry you picked up the storm but you will miss it in Barcelona. Have a great evening

Hello Host Hattie!

Odd question: Does the ship's channel still have the morning segment that showed QV aerial views with Bill Wither's song "Lovely Day" playing in the background? My husband and I loved watching this every morning during our Honeymoon, and hope this is still going on when we take our 10 year anniversary trip here soon. Thank you!

Day 6 Valencia

The "We've arrived" announcement was made at 8am but we had no trouble rolling over. By the time we got up the sky was very grey with some impressive fork lightening. We made it for our first Britannia breakfast, Eggs Benedict was much better than my last one (in Britannia Club in March).

It was raining quite hard and as we hadn't brought either coats or umbrellas we decided to relax on our balcony for a while.

It started to clear up about noon and we were on the shuttle bus to the city at just before 1.00. The journey took around 30 minutes and the last bus back left at 4.15. That gave us just enough time to look round the cathedral and have a quick lunch.

In comparison to this morning the sun was hot on our balcony for sailaway. We failed completely to go out for a pre-dinner drink this evening, so had a quick look round the shops. Tax will be added on after Civitavecchia and the alcohol/tobacco taken off sail. There was 20% off Radley bags but the $10 stalls were doing better business, including from Mr HH who bought himself a hat (which I might " borrow").

We managed to be first at the table for dinner for the first time, Frogs legs, Roast beef (with yorkshire pudding) served rare and chocolate tart for me although the waiter was recommending the lamb shank (maybe they had a lot leftover after first sitting). It did look good, not too huge a portion.

We headed aft, me to Deck 3 to get a box and Mr HH to the Golden Lion for our drinks order. We enjoyed the show and at Sally Sagoe's recomendation headed up to Deck 9 for the deck party. It was a very pleasant temperature and there were plenty of people dancing. We settled into one of the clamshell loungers and enjoyed the music, dancing and a drink. Changez stopped playing around midnight and the party carried on in the Yacht Club (apparently). We stayed where we were watching lightening bounce off the distant clouds. It was a great end to another lovely day on Queen Victoria.

IMG_20180905_151305.thumb.jpg.8ef2b21dcae0f8388afe44de5c04af8a.jpg

Edited by Host Hattie

Hattie,

Thank you for this blog. We enjoy following your trip. Has the Lido Aft deck changed since the refurbishment? Are there shaded tables to sit at for lunch? How is lunch at the buffet, do they still have different oriental dishes to choose from each day?

Thank you,

Marilyn

Day 6 Valencia

The "We've arrived" announcement was made at 8am but we had no trouble rolling over. By the time we got up the sky was very grey with some impressive fork lightening. We made it for our first Britannia breakfast, Eggs Benedict was much better than my last one (in Britannia Club in March).

It was raining quite hard and as we hadn't brought either coats or umbrellas we decided to relax on our balcony for a while.

It started to clear up about noon and we were on the shuttle bus to the city at just before 1.00. The journey took around 30 minutes and the last bus back left at 4.15. That gave us just enough time to look round the cathedral and have a quick lunch.

In comparison to this morning the sun was hot on our balcony for sailaway. We failed completely to go out for a pre-dinner drink this evening, so had a quick look round the shops. Tax will be added on after Civitavecchia and the alcohol/tobacco taken off sail. There was 20% off Radley bags but the $10 stalls were doing better business, including from Mr HH who bought himself a hat (which I might " borrow").

We managed to be first at the table for dinner for the first time, Frogs legs, Roast beef (with yorkshire pudding) served rare and chocolate tart for me although the waiter was recommending the lamb shank (maybe they had a lot leftover after first sitting). It did look good, not too huge a portion.

We headed aft, me to Deck 3 to get a box and Mr HH to the Golden Lion for our drinks order. We enjoyed the show and at Sally Sagoe's recomendation headed up to Deck 9 for the deck party. It was a very pleasant temperature and there were plenty of people dancing. We settled into one of the clamshell loungers and enjoyed the music, dancing and a drink. Changez stopped playing around midnight and the party carried on in the Yaxht Club (apparently). We stayed where we were watching lightening bounce off the distant clouds. It was a great end to another lovely day on Queen Victoria.

[ATTACH]427901[/ATTACH]

We left the Q.V. 24thAugust, we had the Lamb Shank twice over the two week cruise, as soon as the waiter put the plates down the lamb just fell off the bone, I think you missed a great meal.😋

Hattie,

Thank you for this blog. We enjoy following your trip. Has the Lido Aft deck changed since the refurbishment? Are there shaded tables to sit at for lunch? How is lunch at the buffet, do they still have different oriental dishes to choose from each day?

Thank you,

Marilyn

Yes, there are shaded tables. I haven't eaten there at lunchtime so I can't comment on quality or variety.

Day 7 At sea

Our late night took it's toll and I was 10am before we got up. An invitation to the World Club party this evening had been delivered. We also got the questionnaire and a booking form for Barcelona transfers. We made do with tea & biscuits until the restaurant opened for lunch.

We didn't rush to any of the morning activities, preferring to read our Kindles in the sun.

Lunch was pleasant and we made a start on a bottle of wine so we don't need to wait this evening (the sacrifice ...). We got an interim statement to see how our onboard credit is holding out, I was a bit surprised that we had any left but it will be gone by tonight !

A 3 course lunch and a glass of wine lead to the inevitable afternoon snooze - what an incredibly lazy day.

We made it to the World Club Party, there were 2 and second sitting was certainly busy. The most travelled sailor had 3,456 nights !

Second gala night and we had lobster as a starter followed by Beef Wellington, those who ordered an actual starter were asked if they wanted the lobster with their beef. Another lovely dinner, we were presented with the menus and had the parade of the chefs. All this end of cruise stuff feels a little odd as we still have 3 days to go.

Sadly our dinner companions and assistant waiter are leaving us in Civitavecchia.

We didn't fancy the show so we tried to find seats in the Golden Lion to listen to Changez. It was packed so we made do with the Queens Room for a while and then found some stools in the pub. There were lots of people dancing and it was a great atmosphere.

IMG_20180906_140154_2.thumb.jpg.2b59d1a320bc641157d6e5ce46c30faf.jpg

IMG_20180906_143004.thumb.jpg.64d829cc82b5e0b3dbcbd49a72c0b3ce.jpg

Edited by Host Hattie

Hello Host Hattie!

Odd question: Does the ship's channel still have the morning segment that showed QV aerial views with Bill Wither's song "Lovely Day" playing in the background? My husband and I loved watching this every morning during our Honeymoon, and hope this is still going on when we take our 10 year anniversary trip here soon. Thank you!

I've not seen that, can you remember which channel it was ?

IMG_20180906_142649.thumb.jpg.765490b6b7fd8d7329bfff0604024307.jpg

I've not seen that, can you remember which channel it was ?

[ATTACH]427956[/ATTACH]

My guess is that it is channel 21. The show is on daily hosted by the entertainment director. The guests are the entertainers for the day. It is generally on in the early morning, starting at 6 or 7.

The opening scene with the boat and song was used when I was last aboard the QV last April.

Shirts, no jackets for men in the early evening seem to be increasing. On the evening sailing from Valencia when I sat down in the Commodore Club at 7pm it was fairly empty but the majority of men were not wearing jackets (although that obviously changed as it filled up with people taking drinks before dinner). The waiters were not bothered at all.

Tender operations in Santa Margherita this morning were not great. Tickets available for collection from 8.30, but with no information when the tenders would actually start running. In the end the first tender didn't get away until after 9.45.

Host Hattie,

Where are you situated on the QV and are you happy with your cabin?

We're in one of the metal fronted balconies towards the forward end of Deck 4. I probably wouldn't choose this particular cabin again, it's very close to a crew pantry area and we get some noise from there. Nothing too terrible but I would choose somewhere slightly further away next time.

I'll share the cabin number once we've disembarked.

Day 8 Santa Margherita, Part One

The tender lowering woke me up but I still managed to miss breakfast ! Tea and biscuits on the balcony again, how did we cope before the kettles arrived ??

We collected tender tickets, had a little while to wait in the Queens Room and then headed down to the tender. It was a little choppy and I slightly regretted getting on the tender so early !

We got ashore to the beautiful town of Santa Margherita just after 11 and walked to the train station (not far but lots of steps) to travel one stop to Camogli.

What I hadn't realised was that the train station in Camogli is even higher up in the town than the one in Santa Margherita. We avoided the staircases dotted around the town and used the sloping main street and final few steps to get down to the harbour. We had a lunch with a view, then an ice cream on the promenade and were very pleased to find a lift back up to the station. We got back to Santa Margherita with enough time to wander round the town. Last tender back was 5.15, there was a huge queue when we passed at 3.15 (people trying to get back for tea ?) We walked straight onto one at 4.00. My key had stopped working again !

IMG_20180907_100659.thumb.jpg.f052974a315f544df6ec398dacc823fc.jpg

IMG_20180907_153637.thumb.jpg.c27d779133adc7c3de16e2248abab605.jpg

IMG_20180907_134219.thumb.jpg.12b9d5e53eb600704778030c644369a0.jpg

IMG_20180907_133542_1.thumb.jpg.d22cc9517b13bfde8fd969691e92c363.jpg

IMG_20180907_125518.thumb.jpg.937f0fa45bcc82ff138a99c3f039b764.jpg

My guess is that it is channel 21. The show is on daily hosted by the entertainment director. The guests are the entertainers for the day. It is generally on in the early morning, starting at 6 or 7.

The opening scene with the boat and song was used when I was last aboard the QV last April.

Yes that does look and sound about right. Alstair was our director, and he was quite lovely. And the segments were passenger highlights from the day before. This is quite nice to hear that the opening scene with the ship and "Lovely Day" song are still being used! Thank you Chart Room Princess.

Day 8 Part 2

We enjoyed the sun on the balcony until sailaway and met our dinner companions at the Gin & Fizz bar for a farewell drink.

The show for second sitting had been moved to 7pm as this was the last night for some.

Dinner tonight was possibly the least successful of the trip, my choices were fine but the Chicken pie wasn't really a pie and the Lemon meringue pie was a bit deconstructed.

We went to the Chart Room so I could have a Stout Independence, there were a couple of men without jackets but it was late on their last night so I don't think it's a sign of the end of the world. Overall I have noticed very little difference so far.

We moved to the Queens Room to watch the end of Party Night and the balloon drop.

Next stop Civitavecchia and embarkation day for some. No Britannia lunch or afternoon tea available [emoji33]

IMG_20180907_232822_1.thumb.jpg.830d7d8b59da8fe932991a8a92711be6.jpg

Just catching up with your trip report after a busy few days Hattie - have enjoyed reading your posts with my morning tea and biscuits! I completely agree with you about the kettles in the rooms: I was never bothered about having them before they were installed, but my other half and I made great use of them last year as we too struggled to make it up for breakfast in the morning. (And we go to the Lido....)

Thanks for taking the time to post your notes, photos and the dinner menus - reading them has been a lovely way to get a Cunard "fix" before we are on again in November.

Interesting what you say about noise outside the cabin. I’ve stayed in cabin 4040 on QE and didn’t hear a sound, even though it was quite near to the lifts. Enjoy your last few days aboard :)
Thank you, we will [emoji3]

The lifts are fine, it's the chatting and filling of ice buckets I could do without.

We once had one of the metal fronted balconies about two or three from front and really felt every wave hit. We juddered and banged for 16 nights and vowed never againafter I was violently sick. We didn’t like the fact we had to stand to see the sea either. But for those that don’t mind, they are a little deeper.

Hi Hattie,

Great reviews so far. We join QV on 29th of this month and are really looking forward to it. Just a quick question...can we get diet tonic water on the ship to go with out gin or is it as difficult as it seems to be every where else on the cruise ships!

Peter and Jenny

Hi Hattie,

Great reviews so far. We join QV on 29th of this month and are really looking forward to it. Just a quick question...can we get diet tonic water on the ship to go with out gin or is it as difficult as it seems to be every where else on the cruise ships!

Peter and Jenny

Yes you can - all manner of them available.

As recommended by Andy in the gin bar, think its only sold there and not in the other bars, try Pedrino. Its a pink colour and has sherry in it.

OMG once you have it youll be amazed how nice it is. They will reccomend the type of gin to have with it.

Since trying it quite often pick up a couple up in Waitrose on a weekend. Give it a go!

Yes you can - all manner of them available.

As recommended by Andy in the gin bar, think its only sold there and not in the other bars, try Pedrino. Its a pink colour and has sherry in it.

OMG once you have it youll be amazed how nice it is. They will reccomend the type of gin to have with it.

Since trying it quite often pick up a couple up in Waitrose on a weekend. Give it a go!

Sounds very nice but I was actually referring to diet (sugar free) tonic which I rather suspect this is not!! Thanks any way I might just give it a go by Jenny can't as she is diabetic, hence the need for diet tonic.

Peter and Jenny