Notes from Queen Victoria to the Mediterranean

Host Hattie

Day 9 Civitavecchia

We managed to sleep through the arrival and the noise of people leaving. Judging by the number of cabins being "turned over" near us there were a lot of people departing today. Our 9-9.30 room service arrived at 8.45 & with only spoons to eat our smoked salmon and scrambled eggs (we managed). By the time we were organised and waiting for the shuttle bus it was 10.30. We got the town bus to the train station (now €2 each way not 80c as in the Cunard port information) & after a fight with the ticket machine bought tickets to the next town along the line to Rome. The station was busy with arriving and departing cruise passengers.

The beach at Santa Marinella was a short walk from the station, no need for lifts today. €30 for 2 sunbeds and an umbrella was a bit steep but we bit the bullet and paid up. It's a Saturday so the beach was fairly busy.

We had a lovely few hours, the sun was soft and the sea a perfect temperature.

We caught the 15.50 train back to Civitavecchia and after a train ride and 2 buses we were back onboard for 4.30. Drill for those boarding today was at 5.

Mr HH braved the Lido for a snack and brought back very nice sandwiches and cakes, I should send him up there more often. We listened to the muster drill and watched the departures (Celebrity Constellation and Marella Dream) and arrival (Moby Tommy and another ferry).

Sailaway was around 7 and we went up to the Lido Bar to enjoy another warm evening cocktail (or two) and beautiful sky.

Our new table companions are a couple of first time cruisers on for a week and 2 gentlemen who have moved from their original table. We had another good dinner, oxtail, lamb and chocolate brownie pudding for me. We were running a bit late so we left the gentlemen to their cheese and went to see the show. The boxes were full (they didn't stay that way) so we got a couple of seats towards the back a little late although we weren't the last.

The show was described as a mentalist and although it was clever, it wasn't really that suitable for an evening show. The house lights were up so it was painfully obvious that quite a few people were leaving. We stayed to the end and went to the Golden Lion to watch Changez.

IMG_20180908_152452.thumb.jpg.ffdd8b3550a2c2819e51edce85877527.jpg

IMG_20180908_194553.thumb.jpg.550c99dae0bcb868a38c9e04763da37d.jpg

IMG_20180908_194153.thumb.jpg.04569a31556174136909e46559d6b779.jpg

Sounds very nice but I was actually referring to diet (sugar free) tonic which I rather suspect this is not!! Thanks any way I might just give it a go by Jenny can't as she is diabetic, hence the need for diet tonic.

Peter and Jenny

They have a fever tree light tonic, but I'm not sure about sugar-free.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

Hi Hattie,

Great reviews so far. We join QV on 29th of this month and are really looking forward to it. Just a quick question...can we get diet tonic water on the ship to go with out gin or is it as difficult as it seems to be every where else on the cruise ships!

Peter and Jenny

Hi Peter & Jenny,

QV has Fever Tree light which is perfect for diabetics ( or so my husband tells me and he's been one for a very long time ) he also drinks FTL at home with his Tanqueray, with no problems.

Hi Hattie ,enjoying your reports.

If you have time can you check out 4045 as we have this cabin for our next cruise.

Looks fine, close to the lifts/stairs but nothing noisy opposite.

We were in 4033, I would think 4031-4035 would be worst affected by noise from the pantry.

Day 10 At sea

We made breakfast by the skin of our teeth and sat at a table for 2 next to our evening table. I had fruit salad and blueberry pancakes for a change. Mr HH went to the Voyage Sales office to enquire about a cruise we have our eye on for next year. He settled for buying a future cruise deposit instead.

He'd managed to lose some of his internet time when his phone hadn't disconnected properly, he got 40 minutes credited back at Connexions. I had to pay a visit to the Internet centre in the library as Vueling wanted me to reprint our boarding passes for our flights home on Thursday. It was easy enough and I still have plenty of minutes left. I have been using my phone and using roaming data when in port. I've had no issues using the ship's wifi in the cabin, on the balcony or around the ship.

I went to the Cruise Critic meeting in the Commodore Club, thank you very much Officeboy for organising.

Our disembarkation information had arrived, we are due off at 9am. No luggage tags so Mr HH collected them. We made a start on packing [emoji33]

We went to the Britannia restaurant for lunch, I'm not sure whether people have been complaining about portion size but everything seemed supersized !

The afternoon was spent packing and reading on our balcony, the sky had clouded over but it was still pleasant and we spotted dolphins and whales again.

We put 2 of our cases out and went for a drink in the Commodore Club. We had considered going to the Cocktail party as we'd missed it last week but they had sent invitations to the new arrivals so no sneaking in for 2nd weekers !

The waiter recommended a Dark & Stormy which I didn't love at first sip, was quite enjoying it by the end but I'm not sure I would order it again. Hot canapes came round again.

We were first to the table for our final dinner, another great menu and we all ordered scallops as a starter, followed by lamb en croute for us, then souffle. A fitting last night, we have enjoyed the new menus this trip.

Our first cruise dinner companions seem to having a great time and already talking about a family trip to celebrate a special birthday.

We went back to the cabin so Mr HH could pack his suit into the last case and went to the Golden Lion for karaoke. He was one of the few men who wasn't formally dressed. Karaoke was amusing as ever and I enjoyed my last Brandy Alexander for a while, the barman knows my order now !

We called it a night at around midnight, our cases were still outside so we packed the last of our things. We are due off at 9am.

IMG_20180909_164650.thumb.jpg.00ce2a085bcf64a135e43b796a9aca79.jpg

Edited by Host Hattie

Disembarkation

We had the "We've arrived" announcement at 7.35 had a final check of the cabin and went to the Britannia restaurant for breakfast. Once we'd finished we went to the Queens Room, it was just before 9 and we were free to go. There was no queue, nobody in the luggage hall except staff to direct you and waiting porters. We dropped our bags at the Bags & Go desk in the luggage hall and got the shuttle bus to the World Trade Centre.

And that was end of another great (for us) Cunard cruise.

Thanks for those who have made it this far, apologies to those whose questions I didn't answer.

Loved reading all your updates Hattie :D
Thanks Hattie for all your wonderful and informative posts hope you enjoyed your cruise.
Thanks both, we had a great time and were sorry to leave the ship this morning but we have a few days in Barcelona to dull the pain !