10:30 AM Flight out of FLL doable?

jonsmom

This past new years cruise, we walked off Reflection exactly at 8:00 on Jan 2 (weekday) and were at the FLL airport at 9:00 with plenty of time for our 10:10am flight. Granted, I wanted to leave the ship by 7:30 but still ended up sitting at the gate a half hour. Booked the same flight for this year. Mobile Passport app helped shave off 20-30 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We need more information.

What day of the week?

Day of the week is a Monday

How many ships in port?

Not sure - how would I find out?

Will you self disembark?

Yes

Do you have Airlines loyalty statusto get you through check in more quickly?

No

Do you have TSA precheck?

No

Domestic or international?

Domestic

Mobile Passport wasn't working the last time we disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale. The lines were horrendous! We got Global Entry for just that reason.

When it does work, mobile passport is fantastic. I use it frequently since I fly internationally because of work, and almost every time there’s no more than 2-3 people ahead of me on that line. They scan my phone, take a quick peek at my passport and I’m on the other side within 30 seconds.

I do recommend Global Entry as well, but it may be a waste of money for someone who doesn’t fly internationally and who may not be going through customs again until their next cruise a year or more later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't do it. While you could most definitely make it, you could also most definitely miss it. Twice we were held up in Fort Lauderdale. We almost missed our noon flight once. There was something that happened at one of the terminals and we had to switch over to a different terminal. Our flight was at 11:45 and we barely made it ... with absolutely zero minutes to even sit down at the gate. The other time, there were several ships in port and something going on at the airport as well. We had a hard time even getting a taxi to get to the airport. Our disembarkation time was 9 AM but weren't able to get to the airport until the early afternoon. I think we could have walked there faster than that. On the other hand, one time, we docked at the pier a night early due to the captain trying to avoid a storm. So, we were already to get off the ship early, which we did, and we could have made an 8:30 flight. Instead, we had to wait for our 1:30 PM flight and it was a painfully long time to sit at the airport. Still, it's better than missing your flight due to a delay in the disembarkation process. There are no guarantees either way.

I think too many things can go wrong to book a flight that early. Mobile Passport may not work, too many ships in port, delayed customs clearance, a freak storm. Two years ago our cruise was delayed because a freak storm (tornado) touched down the morning of embarkation causing a power outage in the PE cruise terminal which delayed disembarkation by over 2 hours. The ship's captain ordered all passenger and crew into closed areas on board for their safety. Deck chairs landed on the roof of the cruise terminal. That was in February BTW!

We've done it many times. On different days of the week, even days supposedly crowded. Even first cruise back after a TA. But....we're always the first few people off the ship and we make sure we are.

What we do to make sure we're among the first dozen or so off is get up early. We carry our own luggage and get down to the meeting spot about 45 minutes to an hour ahead of when they tell you. We don't try and sit down to breakfast, we just get in line with our luggage. We have no problem pulling a big case and a carry on or two stacked. None whatsoever. You have to do that or it's not do-able.

We might take turns getting a muffin or something from Cafe Bacio, but normally we just get to the airport about 8:00 and grab something there. We have had enough food by then - missing a meal is really probably a good thing ha ha. .

Another thing: Don't pre-arrange transportation to the airport. Just grab a taxi for yourself. If you get in a larger vehicle you'll have to wait till it's completely filled and will have to stop perhaps at different places in the airport. If you're among the first out there are tons of taxis ready and waiting.

Also, it does help to have TSA PRE.

We always have a contingency plan for flying, and since we fly Southwest from FLL there is no charge to change. Never had a problem, always made our flight. We are a 90 minute nonstop to our airport. But when the cruise is over for us, it's over, and we are ready to get home. No stopping for a day at a hotel to sit by a pool or something.

And....contrary to others' experiences, we don't feel rushed or hurried or stressed about it at all. We aren't ruining our cruise or ending on a bad note. We just enjoy getting back early. Most times we're in the airport before 8 a.m. And...like I said, we always have a contingency plan for our flights if for some reason we miss it.

Edited by ClaudiaB

I think your decision has to be based on how well you and your spouse handle stress....I admit I do not handle it well and when I am stressed out I tend to make mistakes and "lose" things....like passports, boarding passes, ID...I was faced with same decision yesterday when I was booking our return flights from Silhouette in March. We had a choice between 10 a.m. or 5 p.m. DH suggested it would be better for both our mental health to take the 5 p.m....have b'fast on board, leave behind the madness...have a leisurely lunch at the airport and time for a quick dinner in BWI before our final flight. It's not for everybody.....but you're not everybody so do what you can live comfortably with.

BTW as an aside.....it you're arriving at the airport 4+ hours ahead of flight time check-in with the curbside check-in....they'll take your luggage when you get there....the airlines sometimes won't let you check in until 3 hours before flight (Southwest).

Sounds like you might be on the same cruise as us! Flying back to Long Island on the 15? We opted for the earlier flight. Hope it works out. Was shocked to see that they didn't have an earlier afternoon flight on between the 10 and 5 flights!

So was the 6:15am flight the next day? There is no way that could even happen if it was day the ship returned as they usually aren't cleared for customs until 7 or so. I guess they will also be up for buying ocean front property in Arizona. Sometimes you just gotta laugh at some of the posts.

Might happen, we live in Arizona and if the St Andreas Fault ever ruptures we might just have that ocean front property. A feeble attempt at humor.

Sounds like you might be on the same cruise as us! Flying back to Long Island on the 15? We opted for the earlier flight. Hope it works out. Was shocked to see that they didn't have an earlier afternoon flight on between the 10 and 5 flights!

Not this time....we're flying the following week! I agree, there's nothing mid day from FLL to ISP....everything is early or late and we opted for late, but like I said, I don't handle stress well at all!!! Hope you make it with time to spare. :)

Not this time....we're flying the following week! I agree, there's nothing mid day from FLL to ISP....everything is early or late and we opted for late, but like I said, I don't handle stress well at all!!! Hope you make it with time to spare. :)

I changed our flight to one leaving west palm beach. 3 pm, non stop 2hr 45 mins. Hired car service to take us on the hour ride from PE to BPI. No rushing and a stress free morning, plus no 3and a half hour layover was worth the couple of hundred extra!

Enjoy your cruise!

How many times others have made those flights is irrelevant. We had a FLL disembarkation where Customs did not allow anyone to disembark until 9:30. You would never make it then. The key word here is probably. But prepare for the possibility that you won't make it and have a Plan B.