Preparing baby formula/ baby Tips?

L7oopys

Has anybody cruised with a formula fed baby before? I'm trying to decide the best way to make bottles! At home I use a perfect prep machine which puts the correct amount of boiling water in then tops up with cold. My baby will drink it cold but the hot is required to kill any bacteria in the powder.

I'm thinking it may be ok to use hot water from the coffee machine then top up with tap water?

Any tips from cruisers that have travelled with a baby before? My boy will be 7 months

You should check out Family Cruises board on cruisecritic and Traveling with Children board on babycenter.com.

When I formula fed DS, I didn't bother with the machines and used lukewarm water to pour the formula into. I'd use an electric kettle or microwave previously boiled water, cool it down to room temperature and then make formula.

There is hot water usually available at the buffet. I'd fill a large container with it and cool it down. Then make individual formula bottles whenever needed. But I wouldn't use tap water - only previously boiled.

Has anybody cruised with a formula fed baby before? I'm trying to decide the best way to make bottles! At home I use a perfect prep machine which puts the correct amount of boiling water in then tops up with cold. My baby will drink it cold but the hot is required to kill any bacteria in the powder.

I'm thinking it may be ok to use hot water from the coffee machine then top up with tap water?

Any tips from cruisers that have travelled with a baby before? My boy will be 7 months

Why not try to find a single serving baby formula?

Call me crazy but I just used tap water and powder with DS, who was child #2. Went crazy with the boiling and warm bottles for child #1 and said never again. DS survived just fine.

You could also order a case of bottled water to use if you’re nervous. And if you have time make sure baby is used to room temp. So much easier. We travelled everywhere and never had to worry... I also used reusable bottles back then and just washed them out but now you have disposable liners so easy peasy.

Since you are cruising - your baby should be past the first month or so when formula prep needs to include sterilized bottles and such. Once you have a cruise age baby who is putting everything in their mouth and has had their vaccines - this concern fades away unless your child is immunocompromised or something. Of course - call me old school - these formula machines are just new ways to make money off of parents. The hot water is MOSTLY there to improve dissolving of the powder.

That said - when I travel with an infant (my second child was at disneyworld 3x in her first year), I used a combination of techniques. If I was cruising - I would probably aim for single serving formula packets (no bacteria to worry about if this is a legit concern) mixed with bottled water or bringing bottles/case of pre-made formula with me and requesting cold storage for the open unfinished bottles. The biggest concern for me when traveling / cruising internationally is actually the water itself and not the powder! Even bottled water from other countries could impact babies digestive system.

We also use Playtex Drop In bottles exclusively for travel so that we don’t have to worry about washing more than the nipples also. If we needed to warm a bottle that was chilled from premade - we would just fill the sink, large cup, coffee pot (whatever was available!) with hot water and let the liquid warm thru the playtex bag if needed. My experience is that the water in the hot water machines often tastes like coffee so I don’t recommend using it for mixing it formula.

The tap water is drinkable and clean but it would never get hot enough to ‘kill bacteria’ - so if you want to use it to achieve better dissolving of the formula - that should be fine - but don’t be disillusioned by its ability!

Whatever you try - I recommend trying it at home first! Premade formula tastes a little different than powder made!

How old will your baby be? What do you do if you are away from home for the day and baby needs a bottle? Do you bring them with you already made and just consume them in the allowed timeline or do you ever mix on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the Uber sterilization aspect of this should be done by the time the baby is of cruise traveling age. If one still has to do it because the baby has some type of medical condition that requires extra sterility, (ie some type of immune condition) then I’m not sure a cruise is a good place to be with that infant.

As for bottle cleaning, if they’re on similar, they sell the premise where you just put the nipple and ring on top, would fantastically reduce the cleaning. If bringing my bottle setup, I would probably bring my drying rack as well.

I would probably bring tear packets of formula to reduce humidity (assuming warm climate cruise) from impacting the formula when you take it off the ship.

Also consider bathing, whether you’re in a room with a tub.

Why not try to find a single serving baby formula?

because it's a LOT more expensive and much bulkier than a can of powdered formula.

Call me crazy but I just used tap water and powder with DS, who was child #2. Went crazy with the boiling and warm bottles for child #1 and said never again.

at home - sure.

On a cruise, with all the rota/norovirus infections and flu and other yucky stuff, I'd prefer to use previously boiled water or bottled water.

But no, I still didn't use tap water at home directly from the tap. I used filtered, boiled water.

Ever heard of Flint, MI?

because it's a LOT more expensive and much bulkier than a can of powdered formula. MI?

For a week of vacation - if you are concerned about the manufactured issue of ‘bacteria in your powdered formula’ - then I don’t understand why the small upper of individual packets or premade formula cost would be an issue. It’s only a week! You would remove the scoop and open air therefore removing the risk.

And really - how can price be an option for someone who uses a formula maker?? They are one of the most expensive (not necessary) baby gadgets there is!

For a week of vacation - if you are concerned about the manufactured issue of ‘bacteria in your powdered formula’ - then I don’t understand why the small upper of individual packets or premade formula cost would be an issue. It’s only a week! You would remove the scoop and open air therefore removing the risk.

And really - how can price be an option for someone who uses a formula maker?? They are one of the most expensive (not necessary) baby gadgets there is!

I think we are talking about different things. I am not worried about bacteria in FORMULA.

And premade formula as in "ready to drink" is usually much more expensive and much bulkier because at 7 months kids are still getting pretty much all of their nutrition from formula. I am not talking about individual packets of powdered formula.

The expensive gadget could have been somebody's exorbitant present and may not reflect OP's financial state. Why are we counting her money anyway?

I think we are talking about different things. I am not worried about bacteria in FORMULA.

And premade formula as in "ready to drink" is usually much more expensive and much bulkier because at 7 months kids are still getting pretty much all of their nutrition from formula. I am not talking about individual packets of powdered formula.

The expensive gadget could have been somebody's exorbitant present and may not reflect OP's financial state. Why are we counting her money anyway?

The OP was worried about the bacteria in the POWDERED FORMULA - not the water. That’s why she said she used the formula preparing gadget. (She didn’t mention anything about the bacteria in the water - but I certainly did because I think that is the concern when Cruising to Central America / Caribbean)

My son drank 40oz of formula a day at 6 months old, but only 24 oz at 10 months. We don’t know how old the baby will be yet on board. Bringing a 6 pack of Ready To Feed (RTF) is not a big deal for our family if that’s what ensures we have a good week on a cruise in the middle of foreign lands and an ocean...None the less - I get that it’s slightly more expensive than powder and a bottled water, I just think it’s totally worth the cost coupled with some pre-packaged packages of powder. My daughter that we traveled with all the time was exclusively on Ready to Feed formula when we were at home / daycare due to her reflux - I’m not kidding when I say I understand the cost. But I actually believe that with formula coupons and store coupons and shipping deals we managed to keep the prices pretty close to powdered formula (at least it did for us!).

Call me crazy but I just used tap water and powder with DS, who was child #2. Went crazy with the boiling and warm bottles for child #1 and said never again. DS survived just fine.

You could also order a case of bottled water to use if you’re nervous. And if you have time make sure baby is used to room temp. So much easier. We travelled everywhere and never had to worry... I also used reusable bottles back then and just washed them out but now you have disposable liners so easy peasy.

Same, but started using tap with #1 when at 3 months, I asked her pediatrician when I could stop sterilizing, she said there was never a need, tap water was fine, soap and water for the bottles. Made things easier with the next 4 babies, just get it to the temp you want.

because it's a LOT more expensive and much bulkier than a can of powdered formula.

at home - sure.

On a cruise, with all the rota/norovirus infections and flu and other yucky stuff, I'd prefer to use previously boiled water or bottled water.

But no, I still didn't use tap water at home directly from the tap. I used filtered, boiled water.

Ever heard of Flint, MI?

Well, I did mention using bottled water. Since you are not the OP why so argumentative? We are all just making suggestions. I’m sure the OP is fully capable of taking ALL suggestions and then doing what she feels will be right for her child....

(And btw, both DD and DS attended college on full rides and are professionals so the water they were exposed to had little impact, if any)

There is no "bacteria" in the powder, unless you put it there. Since a child must be 6mos. or older to cruise, it's really not a huge issue. I mixed tap water with the powder for my kids, if I wasn't available to breast feed. They've survived just fine. (40 and 37!)

At 7 months the baby will be chewing on the TV remote and on your shoes if you leave them on the floor. I would just use bottled water and not worry about it. I have sailed with a 9 month old and a 10 month old, though they were breast fed so we did have to deal with mixing formula. We did take an OXO small travel sized drying rack and bottle brush and a travel sized bottle of dish soap for bottles (we had grandparents sailing with us who gave us a few hours off here and there) and breast pump parts. And disposable bibs.

There are some really good general baby tips in the Family Cruising forum :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hot water is to kill the bacteria in the formula powder, that can easily get contaminated by the scoop. As a lactation consultant, I must say that this is a very important step to decrease the risk of having a very sick baby. The bacteria they can catch from unsanitary formula preparation is very dangerous.

Thanks everyone

I have bought a travel kettle to take that'll do the job. UnFortunately I can't use ready-made formula as he's on lactose free at the moment and in the UK you cannot buy that ready-made it's only in powder form.

Also in the UK we are advised not to use bottled water to make formula?

Tap & kettle should be fine.

Drying rack sounds a great idea though!

at home - sure.

Ever heard of Flint, MI?

using filtered water, heating everything, etc is not going to prevent a little one from getting noro or some other condition. But as long as your are concerned and it if easy to understand with first baby, get hot water from the buffet. That is going to be your best bet.

Thanks everyone

I have bought a travel kettle to take that'll do the job. UnFortunately I can't use ready-made formula as he's on lactose free at the moment and in the UK you cannot buy that ready-made it's only in powder form.

At 7 months bottled water would be fine. I think the concerns are fluoride levels and that bottled water is not strictly sterile. A 7 months old’s immune system should be able to handle that but it sounds like you have a plan that you are comfortable with. Hope you have a great time!

The hot water is to kill the bacteria in the formula powder, that can easily get contaminated by the scoop. As a lactation consultant, I must say that this is a very important step to decrease the risk of having a very sick baby. The bacteria they can catch from unsanitary formula preparation is very dangerous.

No denying that Cronobactor CAN infect an infant but it’s very very low risk for babies over 2 months old who have had their meningitis vaccine with VERY simple precautions. Thats why things are sterilized for the young ones and just washed as they are older. You can read about this on the cdc website if you want..Keep yourself (wash hands etc) and your prep surface clean so your scoop stays clean and all is well.

The poster that said a 7 month old will be eating your shoes was spot on!!! They put their hands on every surface as they crawl and then eat them!!

Cruise ship tap water is not fortified to my knowledge like town water. And many of us in the US have well water. Depending on your town/city water or your well water determines if you should use bottled or not. The do sell Nursery Water here that is fortified with Fluoride for exactly this purpose but for one week it will not matter.

Just curious - what brand of formula do you have in the UK? Here in the US, my kids used Similac Brand and their lactose free and their soy versions are both available in ready to feed. Would love to learn more about the UK options.

Thanks everyone

The travel kettle is likely to be taken from you when you board teh ship. Make sure you have an alternate method to heat the water.

At 7 months, this baby will be crawling on the floor, bed and every other surface other cruisers have been on. There is nothing sanitary in the life of a 7 month old! Crawling babies make the issue of over sanitizing bottles and sanitizing normal drinking water ridiculous. A mother learns this in time and thru becoming an experienced parent. Seven month olds will eat dust bunnies they find under a chair. There is no point in killing yourself with over sanitizing regular drinking water.