No question is to dumb (right?)

happyboomer

Going on a Pacific Coastal cruise and I'm wondering if I can use my cell phone (Verizion is the carrier) on the ship while docked in port (U.S. ports) or do I have to get off the ship to call, text, or use Google or Facebook?

Going on a Pacific Coastal cruise and I'm wondering if I can use my cell phone (Verizion is the carrier) on the ship while docked in port (U.S. ports) or do I have to get off the ship to call, text, or use Google or Facebook?

You can, but just make sure you're linked to the Verizon network and not the ship's.

If you are willing to pay the ships (exorbitant) rates, obviously you can stay on the ship. If you want to use a shore 'cell tower', it depends if there is one close enough to give you a good signal. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't!

Simon

In my experience in the US, Asia, Europe etc your cell phone will connect to the landbased network while you are still on the ship if its in port and even a little way out to sea. After a while sailing your phone will connect to Celebritys cellular at sea network, you should get a warning on your phone advising of the cost, at which point put your phone into flight mode, or off, if you want to prevent unwanted charges.

That's actually a very smart question. Always good to know these things in advance rather than being surprised by a huge bill down the road.

So, when we are docked, one of us will turn on our phone and if we get 'AT&T', which is our service provider, showing up in the upper corner, we know we are good to go. If it shows 'Cellular at Sea', we shut it down immediately! We've been on several Pacific Coastal cruises and have never had an issue with immediately connecting to our service provider while in port with being on the ship. Just be sure to check to see what service you are connecting with when first turning on your phone in port. Even text messages that come through will cost you if you are connected with the ship's cell tower.

That's actually a very smart question. Always good to know these things in advance rather than being surprised by a huge bill down the road.

So, when we are docked, one of us will turn on our phone and if we get 'AT&T', which is our service provider, showing up in the upper corner, we know we are good to go. If it shows 'Cellular at Sea', we shut it down immediately! We've been on several Pacific Coastal cruises and have never had an issue with immediately connecting to our service provider while in port with being on the ship. Just be sure to check to see what service you are connecting with when first turning on your phone in port. Even text messages that come through will cost you if you are connected with the ship's cell tower.

I'm glad I asked! Now I know what to look for when we dock. I'd hate to end up with a huge bill. Thanks everyone.

This is very good info - thank you. We got stuck with high charges once because we used the phone to say goodbye to our daughter before we left the dock (can't remember if it was Cape Liberty or FLL) but never again - thankfully she wasn't there and we just left a message so it was a short call.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, especially when it ends up costing you money.

My own experience with Cellular at Sea is they turn it off when they are in port or near the coast line. As others have said, just check to see what carrier you are picking up and if is Cellular at Sea, don't use it.

Should not be a problem. Every US port I have been in had excellent cell service.

Not a bad question at all...we wondered the same thing last year for Pacific Coastal.

We have Verizon, and did not have any problem at all when in port. To be safe, we turned off as we were leaving. As we were on board with several other friends, it was great to be able to text your location to meet up when we were in port...something we are not able to do when traveling outside the country.