First time cruiser, Transatlantic or not? (Rapsody)

How big is the change that we get motion sickness?

I would love to go on a transatlantic cruise but the Oasis dont sail back with guests to America next year.

A good option is the Rapsody but it is a small ship, i think we prefer a bigger one like oasis class.

Is a transatlantic cruise a good idea for a first time cruiser?

And how is that with the Rapsody? Is that a nice ship for a 15 night cruise?

If we go than we debt between RCL Rapsody Spain to Florida or a MSC/Costa Spain to Brasil/Argentina.

I wouldn’t. You are completely dependent on the weather and if it’s bad it could ruin your cruise. We did a TA on quantum and the first 3 days where bad. My kids and wife where sick. Also feels very uncomfortable being like that and knowing there is no port day coming up to get any respite. Your stuck in that ship for over a week

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... Is a transatlantic cruise a good idea for a first time cruiser? ...

No, I would not suggest a transatlantic for a first time cruiser. Our experience has been that while the motion may or may not be major, it was a constant motion during the 5 to 7 days of the crossing. Someone who was bothered my motion would be stuck for all that time.

I wouldn’t recommend a transatlantic cruise for a first time cruiser. As a matter of fact I think a 15 day cruise anywhere is too long for a first time cruiser. 15 days can be a long time if you find out that cruising is not for you.

I always suggest a 5 day Bermuda cruise to first time cruisers. Its not too long and you are in Bermuda in a day and half so on land pretty quickly. Then its just a day and half back to homeport. To me its a good way to judge whether you are a cruise person or not, whether you like cruises or not. My first cruise was a Princess cruises 9 days and thankfully loved it.

I wouldn’t. You are completely dependent on the weather and if it’s bad it could ruin your cruise. We did a TA on quantum and the first 3 days where bad. My kids and wife where sick. Also feels very uncomfortable being like that and knowing there is no port day coming up to get any respite. Your stuck in that ship for over a week

I agree and would add that they can be boring on sea days.

If you're a card or bingo player... maybe not.

Mine had lots of Sea Days in a row.

The med cruises are very port intensive (and expensive!). But it is an option.

med cruises in shoulder season can be very good prices (OK, maybe not quite the bargain that a TA can be, but still very good pricing, far less than a land vacation)----and you can choose to remain onboard or simply go for a walk around the port town----you are not required to get off in port---but you'll have that option if it turns out that the ship is not for you.

We are doing the Rhapsody this year, TA, Barcelona to Tampa. In fact, we have also booked it for next year as well. But we are experienced cruisers. We did our first TA last year and loved it, but as some have said, you have to 'learn' what you will like about cruising and what you won't like about it. Ourselves, we just love the sea days and doing 7 sea days crossing the Atlantic was a dream come true.

Maybe you have been at sea before. If not, like most of the others, I would try a shorter cruise at first to see if cruising is really for you. Maybe you will find you love the idea of going to a different port every day and the excitement of seeing so many new places. Maybe you just want o lay back and watch the ocean as the ship cruises across the Atlantic.

Really, I would do a 5-7 cruise before settling on a TA. You could book the TA, try another cruise first and if it isn't for you, just cancel the TA.

BTW, I think you will love cruising.

Cheers

Len

Thank you all. In Holland we dont have good cruise bargain, it is not like the us. A cruise is more expensive than a all inclusive vacation with flights. We have only ferry and small boats experience on sea. Im also not sure if we aloud to cancel a cruise after booking. I dont think so.

Thank you all. In Holland we dont have good cruise bargain, it is not like the us. A cruise is more expensive than a all inclusive vacation with flights. We have only ferry and small boats experience on sea. Im also not sure if we aloud to cancel a cruise after booking. I dont think so.

I really struggle to believe that the prices through the Dutch website are that much higher than the German one (which we book through). Though, you can also use a US based travel agency for the Us price if you prefer (pluses and minuses there).

Again, the trick is to check all dates looking for bargains---also check often and book far out.

DH and DS19 are sailing Rhapsody roundtrip out of Venice next month for 510€ per person plus they have 100 usd in on board credit. Booked from Germany. Even after adding in tips you'd be hard pressed to find lodging, food and entertainment for a week for that on any land based vacation that I have seen---especially of similar caliber--some of the super cheap deals to Majorca, etc are pretty low quality hotels and very basic entertainment, etc. (based on what we can tell by reviews---by the time we find things that are comparable to level of service to a cruise we always opt for the far less expensive cruise over the land all inclusive)

Honestly if it were one person with a group of experienced cruisers, I could see doing a TA as your first thing. But non of you having experience cruising at all, plus this being one of the smallest ships (I love the little ships, but many do not, which is one reason these TAs are the very best price) it is a risky proposition. I suggest booking one of the lower cost Rhapsody sailings out of venice to try first and then if you feel you love it and would enjoy many days on just that ship, by all means book a TA for the following year.

Lots of short taster cruises out of Southampton which would be fairly easy for you to get to, P and O have them all year round with the other cruise lines having occasional ones.

We love transatlantics but I wouldn't recommend one for a first cruise, my worry would not be so much the weather but if you actually like cruising, it's a long time to be stuck on a ship if you hate it. Saying that, on every TA we've taken, we've met people who were on their first cruise so people do it all the time, luckily all the ones we've spoken to were enjoying it.

Julie

Thank you!

We can`t use a USA travel agent for RCL. RCL dont aloud that. A cruise in the meds with oasis is around 1100 dollar (excludes tax and tips).Where a Bahama/Mexico cruise 600/700 dollar is, so with a good flight deal it is cheaper to fly over to Florida......

I take a look on the German website and touroperators. Iknow some UK based agents have good prices to. But in Holland not, also not adding board credits etc.