Mobility Scooters

cherjoe5

I know you can't leave a mobility scooter outside your cabin over night, but can you leave it outside the cabin during the day ?

No. People still need to get by. Probably worse with cleaning carts in the hallways.

Agree. Last cruise had passenger with walker and couldn't get by a parked scooter in the hall...

As the above post shows, you are not supposed to but some people do it anyway. On the other hand, Royal Caribbean provides wedges to prop the door open for people with scooters on some ships and not on others. If you come back to your room and you do not have a wedge and nobody is with you to hold the door, then you cannot get the scooter in and out so you have to leave it in the corridor.

As the above post shows, you are not supposed to but some people do it anyway. On the other hand, Royal Caribbean provides wedges to prop the door open for people with scooters on some ships and not on others. If you come back to your room and you do not have a wedge and nobody is with you to hold the door, then you cannot get the scooter in and out so you have to leave it in the corridor.

If I were to see one parked in the hallway I would immediately call security. It is against regulations and the ship could be fined.

If I were to see one parked in the hallway I would immediately call security. It is against regulations and the ship could be fined.

How often have you called security about a scooter? My wife and I have been on a little over 70 cruises and I think that if we called security every time we saw a scooter parked in the hallway, we would have called security about 70 times!

I use a wheelchair, not a scooter.

One cruise I had booked a standard cabin (hadn’t needed a chair for a couple of years) then disaster struck and needed to rent a power chair, made sure it folded down to fit into a standard cabin.

But it was a bit of a pain to fold.

Steward told us to leave it parked in our door way, I said I didn’t think that was allowed, long story short, head of hotel, paid us a visit and reiterated it would be fine to leave it there.

I don’t know why they don’t have a coral for parking and charging your scooter or chair.

One of the first ships I sailed on did.

Have seen on HAL scooters charging in the elevator banks but not on Royal.

If it's in the hall, you need to be ON it! Otherwise, it's in your cabin. You will need to make sure it will fit easily thru the door. Some cabins have VERY narrow doorways...they aren't like at home, where they're 30 in. or so....much smaller! Suites have wider doors, as do HC cabins.

Have seen on HAL scooters charging in the elevator banks but not on Royal.

I’ve not Sailed HAL and honestly can’t recall which ship it was but it was just near the lift lobby.

Personally I thought it a great idea.

I don’t know why they don’t have a coral for parking and charging your scooter or chair.

One of the first ships I sailed on did.

Disney ships have dedicated areas for parking and charging scooters. Disney crew members also take the scooters back and forth from the rooms to the parking/charging areas. One of the many reasons why a Disney cruise costs more than a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Last year we took the Eclipse Cruise and it was right before my husband's hip surgery. He was bound and determined to be on that cruise. He had, a cane, and a scooter we rented. Needless to say, the scooter did not fit in our balcony room. He had to park it in the hallway. We had a wonderful room attendant that we were able to call when we were in for the night and he would have it stored til morning at 7. Worked great! Out of the hallway at night and back there in the morning. Worth a try.

Occasionally the cabin steward leaves us a wedge, as DS is confined to a wheelchair. If he/she does not I borrow their wedge, sometimes I ask to borrow it sometimes I don't I just liberate from their cart :)

I’ve not Sailed HAL and honestly can’t recall which ship it was but it was just near the lift lobby.

Personally I thought it a great idea.

There were a couple of scooters parked by the lifts on Indy this year.

Last year we took the Eclipse Cruise and it was right before my husband's hip surgery. He was bound and determined to be on that cruise. He had, a cane, and a scooter we rented. Needless to say, the scooter did not fit in our balcony room. He had to park it in the hallway. We had a wonderful room attendant that we were able to call when we were in for the night and he would have it stored til morning at 7. Worked great! Out of the hallway at night and back there in the morning. Worth a try.

Really? What if someone in a wheelchair or using a walker needs to get around your scooter at 11 am or 3 pm, 5pm, what then? Actually, the halls are pretty deserted in the middle of the night. :confused:

Disney ships have dedicated areas for parking and charging scooters. Disney crew members also take the scooters back and forth from the rooms to the parking/charging areas. One of the many reasons why a Disney cruise costs more than a Royal Caribbean cruise.

What a Job, Scooter Valet.

Since my wife uses a scooter....a few comments. Scooters are for those that need help. A wheelchair is for those that are immobile. So people with scooters can walk and move.

So if you have a scooter, make sure it can fit into the room. If it can't, have a room near the elevator banks. Usually, you can park it there for short periods of time.

If you leave it in the hall, I don't think the ship is going to get fined, and it's not against the law. Look at all the service carts in the hallway during the day. What about all the luggage on boarding day, and the night before getting off. It is however, still not a good idea. Others, on scooters need to get by also, along with other people. Blocking a hallway is never good.

Best think, if you plan on going on cruises is get one that fits in the cabin.....and enjoy

Really? What if someone in a wheelchair or using a walker needs to get around your scooter at 11 am or 3 pm, 5pm, what then? Actually, the halls are pretty deserted in the middle of the night. :confused:

Well we weren’t in our room at those hours, so it wasn’t an issue. At night it was removed. He doesn’t have a scooter anymore since he had the surgery. Please work with your attendant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since my wife uses a scooter....a few comments. Scooters are for those that need help. A wheelchair is for those that are immobile. So people with scooters can walk and move.

So if you have a scooter, make sure it can fit into the room. If it can't, have a room near the elevator banks. Usually, you can park it there for short periods of time.

If you leave it in the hall, I don't think the ship is going to get fined, and it's not against the law. Look at all the service carts in the hallway during the day. What about all the luggage on boarding day, and the night before getting off. It is however, still not a good idea. Others, on scooters need to get by also, along with other people. Blocking a hallway is never good.

Best think, if you plan on going on cruises is get one that fits in the cabin.....and enjoy

Hi,

Your thoughts are incorrect, SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) which cruise ships have to comply with as it is against the law.

Pete

Hi,

Your thoughts are incorrect, SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) which cruise ships have to comply with as it is against the law.

Pete

I believe you are referring to "obstructing exit routes". There are many things in the hallway throughout the day. So if a ship, intentionally blocks hallways and uses them for storage. Locks doors etc. A scooter, or a Cart are the same item. They are always in the hallways. I'm not debating the law, I'm just stating that having items in the hall are common practice and providing they are not complete blockage, or not. Have you ever tried to get through the MDR during dinner? I don't know how the waiters manage it. I just think that the "law" and what is being stated are two different things.

Please quote the exact law under SOLAS that describes this. (Note, I do agree, they should not be left in the hallway, but quoting a law is not the same as doing what is right)

I believe you are referring to "obstructing exit routes". There are many things in the hallway throughout the day. So if a ship, intentionally blocks hallways and uses them for storage. Locks doors etc. A scooter, or a Cart are the same item. They are always in the hallways. I'm not debating the law, I'm just stating that having items in the hall are common practice and providing they are not complete blockage, or not. Have you ever tried to get through the MDR during dinner? I don't know how the waiters manage it. I just think that the "law" and what is being stated are two different things.

Please quote the exact law under SOLAS that describes this. (Note, I do agree, they should not be left in the hallway, but quoting a law is not the same as doing what is right)

Hi,

You said about the hallways where "carts" are, I presume you mean the cleaners leaving their carts just outside the door of the room wedged open that they are cleaning, these would count as "attended" but leaving mobility scooters outside a room in the hallway whilst asleep or at least with the door closed would be classed as unattended and as these hallways are escape routes it would fall under the SOLAS regulations.

When all is said and done about SOLAS it would be very irresponsible of a person to leave a scooter in a position that COULD cause a problem to others be that a danger if there is a problem or just an obstruction for another passenger in getting to their room.