Cruising with a child with autism

Chewie76

We’ll be cruising on Anthem of the Seas in December with our 10 year old autistic son. We have already notified RCI that we’re traveling with a special needs child, but I’m wondering if anyone has tips or tricks to share? He’s high functioning, but loud noises and crowds really throw him off. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will have you do Muster drill in a more quiet location and will try to seat you in a more secluded area of the dining room, if you wish. Headphones or earplugs might be useful for Muster, when they sound that ship's horn..it's loud!

Give the kid's club a try, too...they are really good with autistic kids!

We were on Anthem in March. There was a big Autism At Sea group onboard. I assume this is not a normal option but might be something to consider if you can book while that program is going on.

There will be big crowds and loud noise constantly and pretty much everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contact the special needs department to tell them what you need. Not just advise them of your son being on the cruise. Here are a few things to consider:

1) How is your son at standing in long crowded lines? If this might set him off, ask if you can have priority boarding without the long lines.

2) Muster drill can be long, noisy and crowded. While your son DOES have to attend muster drill, would he do better attending the one inside with the wheelchair users? It would be quieter and less chaotic.

3) Would your son do better in a quieter corner of the dining room instead of in the center of all the hustle and bustle? Would he enjoy dining with strangers or would he do better if it was just your family at your table?

Enjoy your trip, and don't be afraid to ask for things that would make your son more comfortable.

• Like 2

As cello56 said call special needs at 1(866)592-7225 and tell them you need the alternative muster drill. They will make a note in your reservation. You can also ask for pier assistance. Once you get on board go directly to guest services and request the alternative muster drill and they will give you instructions on where to go. You can also go to adventure ocean on the first day and talk with the staff. My son has autism and they are very accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have traveled with an autistic grandson for 8 yrs. He started at 6 months and let me tell you he lovessssss cruising. His favorite saying right now is, "Hey Gi, I wanna go on Royal Caribbeans today"...too cute :-) In the beginning, he used headphones when out of the cabin for shows or loud areas and at meal times a DVD player to occupy him (distraction). The Social Story before each cruise provided by Royal Caribbean helped prepare him on what was to happen each day (He likes knowing what comes next). Priority Boarding helps with the noise and crowd issues. He will ask for quiet times in his cabin now where he has a few favorite toys from home, his Cars blanket and yessss the iPad. The dining staff always had his favorites ready FIRST at dinner. When we arrived the grapes and sweet tea were on the table waiting and they alternated his steak/chicken breast, broccoli and fries each night. That's pretty much all he eats for dinner. Now, he takes his iPad to dinner to watch videos or play games as he eats. After dinner we do the evning shows and he asks, What show is next tonight...lol...love this kid...We have tried the kids club in recent years and he isnt a fan. He will go but the noise level is much at times and we usually find him playing alone or with staff because neuro typical children dont always undertsand how to play with him. When he has cousins travel with him, he does much better. The staff are trained and educated to handle Autistic children and do a fantastic job. We also bring his favorite snacks that make things more like home for him. The more like what he is use to the more calm and relaxed he is....Now he is learning to cope with the noises and crowds and movement and has learned how to get around on any Oasis class ship...(his favorite) I hope your experiences get better each time you crusie as well. If I can help feel free to ask and I will do my best. I had CC people help me :-) PAY IT FORWARD

• Like 2

Lots of really great info here, my son with autism also loves cruising, we have not taken an Autism of the Seas sailing but RC were great regardless. One thing I didn’t see mentioned was that Adventure Ocean gave us a phone that they could call us on if he wanted to leave, which helped ease my mind about him being there. They were totally fine about him not joining in the games etc and just drawing by himself or playing on the computer.

• Like 1

Lots of really great info here, my son with autism also loves cruising, we have not taken an Autism of the Seas sailing but RC were great regardless. One thing I didn’t see mentioned was that Adventure Ocean gave us a phone that they could call us on if he wanted to leave, which helped ease my mind about him being there. They were totally fine about him not joining in the games etc and just drawing by himself or playing on the computer.

I love Adventure Ocean staff and yes...I forgot about the phone they gave his Mom. I didnt remember because she was the one that checked him in and out. They never called us to get him because he never wanted to leave and like you said they were okay with him playing alone under their supervision. We have never felt it necessary to us Autism of the Seas sailings but I hear they are nice too. Royal Caribbean as a whole do a fantastic job with our babies:halo::halo:

Agree, phone from Adventure Ocean is great, at time was single Father raising kids aged 3, 5, 9. Gave it to me for my youngest, but staff know you have it and will call if any of kid's need their parent's. Was usually just outside AO 50ft away sunning, but gave me a break, and piece of mind...

The movies in the theater were loud for our son, we left during it. So, you may want headphones if you try to watch the movie inside. Also, ear plugs or headphones will be handy when the horn blows to leave, or even at some pool side social activities.

Adventure Ocean was wonderful with our 7 year old last year, as the others have mentioned. They do have toys you can check out. But, we brought tablets and allowed our boys to buy one toy on board, so we never needed to check out any. We made sure movies and games were loaded on the tablet before we left.

Definitely call special needs to get a note on your account to help with boarding and muster. If you Google Royal Caribbean social story you will get a pamphlet you can print and then both fill out with your specific information.

My husband and I are also sailing Anthem in December with our adult autistic daughter. She loves cruising. Rifle-range ear protectors are a fairly inexpensive option for dealing with loud sounds. My daughter also has less obtrusive small earplugs that work for environments that are not quite as noisy, and are easily portable. Sometimes she uses the ear protectors along with the ear plugs.

If you get priority boarding, ask for something official in writing. We were promised priority boarding out of Baltimore a few years ago, but had only an email message confirming it. Even though my husband and I were in a JS, initially, we were not allowed in the priority line because she was in a panoramic view cabin. Luckily I had printed the email. While I waited in line with an increasingly upset daughter and her (also autistic) BFF, my husband took the email and suite passes back to the woman who had denied us priority boarding, and she finally let us into the correct line.

We've found the crew to be wonderful and welcoming, and we have all had a great experience.

We took our autistic 6 year old last year. As advised contact special needs about priority boarding and muster drill. We did all this last year, lots of planning etc ... I forgot about the alarm at muster drill. He didn't have his headphones on when it sounded and he was off like a greyhound down the promenade with me chasing after him .....

• 4 months later...

Glad I came across this post. We are cruising for the first time on Anthem in April with our 6 year old son who has moderate autism. His main issues are crowds, noise and food. We are also bringing our 4 year old. 

I have read a lot of reviews here and on Trip Advisor who say that the lines and crowds on Anthem, especially during spring break, are terrible. The busyness will probably really bother him if that's the case, so now I'm sort of worried about it.

My biggest concern is about disembarking. My husband and I cruised 7 years ago and I remember getting off the ship took forever, we waited for at least an hour in line to get off in Jamaica.  How does priority work with disembarking? Do they let you get off first? Or is it more like last? 

What would you recommend we do upon arriving? My 4 year old really wants to do iFly, but I don't see that you can reserve it ahead of time. I've also heard the kids' clubs fill up fast, too, and that they split out 5-7 year olds from 2-4 year olds - I can't imagine my boys would want to be split up. 

This is not an Autism of the Seas sponsored cruise - I didn't know there was such a thing when we booked.  Thanks in advance 🙂

Edited by perlotk
I meant Trip Advisor

On 9/3/2018 at 3:43 PM, frumpy16 said:

There will be big crowds and loud noise constantly and pretty much everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absolutely NOT true at all.

there will be MANY places that are out of the way and quiet.   several of the lounges, for instance, do not get going until mid to late afternoon, so if he needs somewhere he can run around  in peace, that's a place to start.

one thing to  take note:   they go by biological age for the kids club programming, not the mental or emotional one.  

• Like 1

Just now, bearchele2 said:

There's a group called autism at seas. See if they will be on your sailing. I was on a sailing when this group was on and they had things for families with special needs children and adults. Google the name.

Unfortunately, they are not on our cruise, I didn't know they existed when I booked it. 

Its a very personal experience, just like anything else, as I am sure you know.  Talk through the things that are going to happen - like the muster drill - and keep talking about it.  Make sure you make reservations for meals or go off peak times - I have never been on a large ship but I assume crowds/lines are worse than the smaller ships.  Opt to eat in a low key place instead.. I mean, those are all things we already do, right?  

My teenager has been cruising for a while and I have learned that he prefers to hang out in the cabin.  I try to book balconies so that he can still be outside in the fresh air.   I give him the option to hang out with me or do his own thing.  The kids club was never for him (he was in his reading stage at that time) but he did try the teen club thing once but bailed, lol.  He roams the ship (library!  windjammer!) or hangs out in the cabin. We use WhatsApp to keep in touch and I just make sure we have meals together.  He is happy not going on excursions and the one time I went there was a huge issue - i ended up calling Royal bc the length of the bus ride was misrepresented in the advertising.  THAT was probably my worst experience ever with him while cruising.   This upcoming cruise he actually wants to do a cupcake decorating class with me and my younger son.  A major improvement. :).  I've booked it but I am sure he will try to bail out last minute.

Edited by ZandZ
  • Like 2

We were on the Freedom back in July 2017 with friends and there was a large group of Autistic children on board. We saw Special Needs staff assisting them in the children pool section. We spoke with one lady who told us what she does. It was enjoying to see how the children were taken care of. 

• Like 1

You might want to explore the new Key program. The most crowded times are the first day when there are large crowds. With The Key you would get priority boarding and priority disembarking. You would avoid the lines and crowds in the Windjammer for lunch on the first day and be able to have a quiet lunch in Chops and a quiet breakfast prior to disembarking. You would not have to stand in lines for the shows. It also includes internet. Just a thought😊

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ZandZ said:

I think I called RCI years ago and was told that the program is only limited to certain ships/dates and this is just not how we cruise..... 

They said the same to me when I talked to their special needs team. However, they did say that we would get priority boarding and that we could have a private muster drill. At least that's something!

• Like 1