Getting from London to Southampton

oceanpark

There will be four of us going from our hotel in London to the cruise ship terminal in Southampton on a Sunday. Looking at a shared transfer with a stop at Stonehenge, arriving at terminal by 2:00. It is very expensive, but the shared transfers without Stonehenge is also high. We don’t want to take the bus or train as they both involve taking taxis. Any information on this would be appreciated.

We took the National Express Bus from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton with short taxi rides on each end. This was by far the least expensive way to go and it was easy and really no hassle. From the port to Heathrow we took the bus again and we only needed one taxi ride. I highly recommend this method.

I have used Smith's and also National express bus. Smith's is good. It is expensive. We shared a transfer with stone jenge stop with another couple. Arranged the share on roll call. Smithtour picked us up, drove to Stonehenge, did not stay with us at Stonehenge, took us through Salisbury with commentary and then went to hotel in Southampton. Cost per couple was about $180 for both of us. That included entry fee at Stonehenge. Rather expensive. Another time we stayed in Lomdon and took national express bus. It was excellent. Took bus from Victoris bus station to Southampton. Took a taxi in London to bus station and a taxi from Southampton bus station to ship. Cost was less than 20 pounds for both of us on the bus. Taxi from bus to ship was about 5 pounds.

another thumbs up from us for Smithsforairports We used them following this Aprils Transatlantic to Southampton. Driver waited for us... We disembarked about 2 hours after the first passengers did and no problem. We had them bring us to Stonehenge before dropping us off at London Gatwick. Would use them again in a heart beat.

I've used National Express from airport to Southampton (which I highly recommend) but this trip I will be coming from London so this thread has been of great interest to me. I was planning to take the train from Waterloo Station but do others find National Express from Victoria to be more convenient?

Make sure it is not a Bank Holiday Weekend. If it is, add extra time.

We did that run a few years ago and would have missed the ship except the Celebrity bus was also caught in the traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not bank holiday

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've used National Express from airport to Southampton (which I highly recommend) but this trip I will be coming from London so this thread has been of great interest to me. I was planning to take the train from Waterloo Station but do others find National Express from Victoria to be more convenient?

Another National Express person here. We have not gone from Waterloo, just Victoria Station 3 times. We get the £5 fare plus £1 booking fee and find it is a very comfortable ride to the bus station in Southampton for £11 total. Bus driver loads the bags.

We just did this a month ago - also for 4 people. We used Smith's. They were great to work with and very prompt. Highly recommended.

It was 130GBP each way, plus an additional 50 GBP for the stop at Stonehenge.

Mike

Does that include a gratuity to the driver?

How much if any is the norm?

I have been told people don’t tip in the UK.

Although I have been to London many times, I am often still confused by whom to tip and how much. So I can't really say what the norm is. I will say that unlike at home, with all the drivers (including airport transfers) the drivers always seem to "move on quickly" as opposed to any pause waiting for a tip. I think I gave them about 5 pounds there and about the same in euros on the way back. That was more because it was all I had on me in cash each time. In both cases - they seemed genuinely pleased that I offered anything - perhaps they were simply being polite. At home I would have been extremely embarrassed with those amounts.

Mike

Giving tips is definitely not required on public transport as people are paid a good wage and not reliant on tips.

Being polite is all that is required.