Free Airfare promos?

SpringBreakMom

We are just starting to do research for a September (?) 2020 cruise. I see that several lines have had limited time promos for free airfare. Do most lines have those? Do they usually run them the same time each year? Do some lines perhaps run them more than once a year? Thanks!

We are just starting to do research for a September (?) 2020 cruise. I see that several lines have had limited time promos for free airfare. Do most lines have those? Do they usually run them the same time each year? Do some lines perhaps run them more than once a year? Thanks!

I do not know about all cruise lines but I know a little bit about Viking. There is no pattern or timing to Viking's offering of free airfare. It is rarely offered across the board but rather to a handful of cruises only. Airfare deals and other promotions usually start on the first of the month and usually run for a month.

If you are waiting for a free air deal, you need to be willing to compromise on when and which cabin. It might even he helpful to be flexible for where.

I do not know about all cruise lines but I know a little bit about Viking. There is no pattern or timing to Viking's offering of free airfare. It is rarely offered across the board but rather to a handful of cruises only. Airfare deals and other promotions usually start on the first of the month and usually run for a month.

If you are waiting for a free air deal, you need to be willing to compromise on when and which cabin. It might even he helpful to be flexible for where.

Thanks for the info! We are looking to do the Amsterdam to Budapest itinerary. As that is a longer cruise, it seems to have more opportunities for the free/reduced air. For the past promos I have seen, if we were sailing in 2019 there would have been several suitable dates and cabins. I am still debating between several lines and free airfare might be enough to make the difference.

Thanks for the info! We are looking to do the Amsterdam to Budapest itinerary. As that is a longer cruise, it seems to have more opportunities for the free/reduced air. For the past promos I have seen, if we were sailing in 2019 there would have been several suitable dates and cabins. I am still debating between several lines and free airfare might be enough to make the difference.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

The Grand European itinerary is very popular, and I doubt that Viking will go with a free airfare deal to fill the cabins as I believe they don't have trouble selling. We were able to take advantage of a free airfare deal this year for the Lyon & Provence cruise, but the sale was emailed to us (prior cruisers) in November of 2017, and the deal was for a small block of time in March and April of this year.

You could potentially find a deal of like $399, or maybe $500 which is a good deal, considering most Europe RT itineraries are selling currently for about $1600-$2000 each, depending on gateway city.

Jeff

Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

The Grand European itinerary is very popular, and I doubt that Viking will go with a free airfare deal to fill the cabins as I believe they don't have trouble selling. We were able to take advantage of a free airfare deal this year for the Lyon & Provence cruise, but the sale was emailed to us (prior cruisers) in November of 2017, and the deal was for a small block of time in March and April of this year.

You could potentially find a deal of like $399, or maybe $500 which is a good deal, considering most Europe RT itineraries are selling currently for about $1600-$2000 each, depending on gateway city.

Jeff

Thanks for the input Jeff! It looks like you have a lot of experience with Viking. We are also looking at AMAwaterways and Emerald, both of which had free airfare promos for that itinerary. As you mention, it can be quite costly from the states so it will most likely be a factor in which line we book with.

For what it's worth, when I booked my April 2019 cruise in Feb. 2018 (Viking's Rhine Getaway, Amsterdam > Basel), airfare was only $295/person. What you may find, too, is that the price is mis-leading. Viking appears to budgets $1200/person and the "deal" that you end up getting is technically a credit towards that $1200. You may want to pick specific flights/airlines (see below) that cost more than $1200. You would pay the difference as an additional fee.

Viking offers some ancillary services specific to flights, too, that could further increase the cost (ie. picking a specific airline). Details are well laid out in this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56943268&postcount=59

Thanks for the input Jeff! It looks like you have a lot of experience with Viking. We are also looking at AMAwaterways and Emerald, both of which had free airfare promos for that itinerary. As you mention, it can be quite costly from the states so it will most likely be a factor in which line we book with.

Scenic also offers free-air promos for many of their itineraries. But, as the slightly more expensive "big sister" to Emerald, the price would also be higher. Although, with the US dollar being strong, the price would be a bit better for you that for any of us travelling from Canada.

Both Scenic and Emerald offer free air as "early incentives" - so they are only on for a limited amount of time. With booking so far out, hard to know what actual air costs will be. So having "free air" locked down is nice.

One thing to remember with Scenic/Emerald is that gratuities are always included, so that does bring down the cost of the trip as well.

Fran

For what it's worth, when I booked my April 2019 cruise in Feb. 2018 (Viking's Rhine Getaway, Amsterdam > Basel), airfare was only $295/person. What you may find, too, is that the price is mis-leading. Viking appears to budgets $1200/person and the "deal" that you end up getting is technically a credit towards that $1200. You may want to pick specific flights/airlines (see below) that cost more than $1200. You would pay the difference as an additional fee.

Viking offers some ancillary services specific to flights, too, that could further increase the cost (ie. picking a specific airline). Details are well laid out in this post:

Not quite sure I agree with how you phrase it but for sure the price quotes for airfare with Viking is always limited to the flight plans that are being offered at that price; it is not unlimited choice. If you want a very specific flight plan, it might cost you more. If you wish to get involved with picking your flights, there is a fee. If you wish to arrive early and/or stay longer, there is an additional fee. But if you don't want to spend a penny more than the deal price, all you have to do is take the flights that Viking chooses for you.

That is all great info, thanks! It is nice to know one has the option to pick specific flights if needed. It might be well worth the fee depending on what the included option is.

Scenic also offers free-air promos for many of their itineraries. But, as the slightly more expensive "big sister" to Emerald, the price would also be higher. Although, with the US dollar being strong, the price would be a bit better for you that for any of us travelling from Canada.

Both Scenic and Emerald offer free air as "early incentives" - so they are only on for a limited amount of time. With booking so far out, hard to know what actual air costs will be. So having "free air" locked down is nice.

One thing to remember with Scenic/Emerald is that gratuities are always included, so that does bring down the cost of the trip as well.

Fran

Early incentives would work out perfect for us! Emerald does seem really cost effective, but Scenic seems to have the edge on the excursions. I will just have to wait and see what is actually available and the cost when our dates are released. I am hoping to book early. Having the cruise and air locked in would allow me to just enjoy the anticipation :) I already have a spreadsheet comparing the actual per diem cost for the various lines based on our desired itinerary. Total cost, excursions, and cusine will all play a factor for us.

Yes it’s an incentive to fill the ships. The ships already booked solid needs no incentive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise I was looking at wasn't fully booked and still did not have the offer. So it's the sailings they think will need help getting filled. Basically longer sailings or off-peak times.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

The cruise I was looking at wasn't fully booked and still did not have the offer. So it's the sailings they think will need help getting filled. Basically longer sailings or off-peak times.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

And why shouldn't they operate that way? It doesn't matter if the ship isn't fully booked at the time you are looking at it; it is the expectation that it will be or will not be that drives incentives.

If you are looking at a popular route, why should they bother giving incentives?

Not quite sure I agree with how you phrase it but for sure the price quotes for airfare with Viking is always limited to the flight plans that are being offered at that price; it is not unlimited choice. If you want a very specific flight plan, it might cost you more. If you wish to get involved with picking your flights, there is a fee. If you wish to arrive early and/or stay longer, there is an additional fee. But if you don't want to spend a penny more than the deal price, all you have to do is take the flights that Viking chooses for you.

Correct - I did not phrase it well.

Using myself as the example, I could have had Viking fly me for $295 (but at flights/times/connections at their discretion) or I could have paid an extra $50 to pick my itinerary (which could have resulted in an extra fee should my preferred itinerary fall outside the range Viking budgets per flight).