Captains versus Formal Nights

Missylove

Good afternoon everyone!! Just a quick question......What is the difference between the Captain events and the formal nights? Are they the same thing? Is there dinner at the Captain events if they are different? Trying to figure out if we need to eat dinner prior to the Captain events. I was told that the Captains event isn't like it used to be as far as clothing and all. Sounds like it's more laid back. If it makes a difference, I will be going on AOS.

Good afternoon everyone!! Just a quick question......What is the difference between the Captain events and the formal nights? Are they the same thing? Is there dinner at the Captain events if they are different? Trying to figure out if we need to eat dinner prior to the Captain events. I was told that the Captains event isn't like it used to be as far as clothing and all. Sounds like it's more laid back. If it makes a difference, I will be going on AOS.

"Captain's Night" is one of the formal nights. Many cruisers call it Lobster night. Usually the Captain will host a reception on Captain's Night before dinner, location will depend on the ship. By the way, AOS could mean stand for Adventure, Allure or Anthem of the Seas. And you are right, dress has become less formal for many on formal nights but it is your choice.

"Captain's Night" is one of the formal nights. Many cruisers call it Lobster night...

In my experience, the Captain's Gala evening is the first formal night (if there is more than one) and "Lobster Night" is the second Formal Night. It may have changed?...

OP, the Captain is usually available to shake hands (or he may not want to - some don't), and take photos, and there are complimentary pre-poured drinks available from waiters. The event does not interfere with or include dinner at all. :)

In my experience, the Captain's Gala evening is the first formal night (if there is more than one) and "Lobster Night" is the second Formal Night. It may have changed?...

OP, the Captain is usually available to shake hands (or he may not want to - some don't), and take photos, and there are complimentary pre-poured drinks available from waiters. The event does not interfere with or include dinner at all. :)

That's correct, "lobster night" is the last formal night.

The captain is available for photo-ops on all formal nights. Despite Compass usually says he's available from 18:00 - 18:45, I've found this has never been true, by 18:30 he's gone, it doesn't matter if there is a line of people still waiting or not, be there early if you want the picture with him.

Some officers touch/shake. Some don’t.

Some captains may depart early from photo sessions, but that has not been my experience. Some even stay late if there are more people in line.

Free drinks at the Captain’s Gala (first formal night) are becoming sparse.

Lobster tails, when served, are on the second formal night.

Attire is generally do-what-you-wish these days.

On Mariner it's called Dress Your Best night. The captain is available for pictures for about 30 minutes then he has to go sell the Captains collection of watches. He's not wearing his formal dress whites, just the evening attire of dark blue jacket and pants. Before everyone dives into the gutter, you know what I mean. Of course the captain had a shirt and tie on under the jacket...and white gloves for shaking hands