charger

george35

I've never had a problem with my 5 port USB Lumsing charger. It plugs into a outlet with a regular plug and has no surge protection. It's been on lots of cruises with us and left out on the desk daily charging our phones, tablets and Kindles.

I have taken anker chargers with a cord of over 6 cruises without any problem. There is a difference between a power cord and an extension cord. Don’t worry about power cords.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've seen reports of anything with a cord being confiscated depending on the port, ship, cruise line, etc.

You are welcome to not worry about your power cords if you want but I think it's irresponsible of you to make a blanket statement that they're just fine and there's absolutely no need to worry.

Because it has a cord, it may be a problem.

If it has a power cord it may be taken even if it is safe with no surge protection.

Are they still allowing laptop bricks? Because the cords for almost all of these are interchangeable with the cords for laptop bricks. And I'm pretty sure they allow those.

Now, the specific device the OP posts does advertise surge protection, although it can't be through a ground as it's only a two-prong plug. And it's a lot bigger than I'd want to carry when the Anker units are very small.

I've seen reports of anything with a cord being confiscated depending on the port, ship, cruise line, etc.

You are welcome to not worry about your power cords if you want but I think it's irresponsible of you to make a blanket statement that they're just fine and there's absolutely no need to worry.

Not to be a jerk, but are they confiscating laptops? These cords are the same cords you use with the brick on most laptops. Also many DSLR chargers.

Not to be a jerk, but are they confiscating laptops? These cords are the same cords you use with the brick on most laptops. Also many DSLR chargers.

I don't think anyone will confuse a laptop power source for an extension cord or a power strip.

I don't think anyone will confuse a laptop power source for an extension cord or a power strip.

A power cord isn't a an extension cord or a power strip. A USB hub also isn't a power strip, and if the USB hub is a concern, it should be a concern whether it has a folding plug or a cord. The reality is many DSLRs, most notebooks, as well as rechargeable battery chargers, etc., all use the same cord.

Now, a power strip with a surge protector, or a multi-outlet adapter with or without a surge protector, etc., is a different story and I"m all for nabbing those.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't sell the power cords in the photo shop...

Here are the features of the charge tower pro, this is the one that makes it unsafe on a ship:

• Surge Protection: With 400 joules of protection, your devices are always safe

----------------------------------------

Atomi Charge Tower Pro 6-Port USB Charger

by Atomi

4.0 out of 5 stars 16 customer reviews

| 8 answered questions

Available from these sellers.

• Ai Charge: Identifies your device and delivers the quickest charge
  • Multi-Charge: Conveniently charge up to six devices all at once
  • Rapid Charging: Get a full charge faster and save hours of time
  • Surge Protection: With 400 joules of protection, your devices are always safe
  • Specifications: Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz 0.5A max; Output Current: 8A max; Joule Rating: 400; Watts: 40W

And meanwhile, if they take it, you won’t have chargers for your devices. I wouldn’t take the chance. Get one that you know will be allowed without any problem. Make sure it has no surge suppressor and doesn’t have a cord.

There is no such thing as "allowed". Even if Celebrity says it is ok, it will be at the whim of the security personnel at the port and their mood for the day. 3 weeks ago I had one with no cord and no surge protection confiscated. I do suggest keeping it in the box it came in (if it came in a box). I carried 3 and only one was taken because it was the only one they saw, the others were in boxes.

I have taken anker chargers with a cord of over 6 cruises without any problem. There is a difference between a power cord and an extension cord. Don’t worry about power cords.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is also a difference between being "allowed" and not being caught. If the security personnel picked up the adapter and said OK or even put it back in your bag, then I would say it is no problem. If it was not seen and you passed through I would say you are lucky and should not infer it is OK. Which is it?

I see cars going 80 miles an hour in a 65 zone, they usually don't get caught but it does not mean it is ok.

The issue is not the cord (hair dryers have cords), it is the splitter that adapts 1 outlet to many. Laptop bricks and DSLR do not create multiple outlets. It also does not make any difference whether it is grounded or not.

Yes, other lines are doing this too. You will find this same discussion on the boards for other lines. Anything with surge protection is a fire hazard on a ship. Period.

If you want to maximize your outlet capability, consider purchasing an inexpensive USB charger online that uses a European-style plug. Most large cruise ships utilize both types of outlets in each stateroom. You can plug your USB charger into the European outlet in your stateroom and keep your US-style outlet free for other things.

The issue is not the cord (hair dryers have cords), it is the splitter that adapts 1 outlet to many. Laptop bricks and DSLR do not create multiple outlets. It also does not make any difference whether it is grounded or not.

The post I was replying to said it could be a problem because it had a cord, and was in reference to a USB power hub with no outlets. Adding outlets is an issue without a doubt; taking a USB adapter apparently is not, and the presence of a cord shouldn't matter as the detachable power cord used by almost all USB adapters is the same cord used by Laptop bricks and DSLR chargers.

Agree completely that creating multiple outlets is bad.

Celebrity has a surprising short list of officially prohibited items (that I could find)

Other lines we sail began banning power stips (or anything) with a surge protection several years ago. I've seen experts explain that ships power is different from land power. On a ship a surge protector is unneeded, and worse - it is a fire hazard.

Our non-surge protected power strips with USB ports caught security's interest and we needed to go the the naughty room on our last Princess -- we showed them that it did not have a surge protector and we were on our way,

To safe I'd switch to one without a surge protector.