1 pm check in in San Diego?

Cafabi

We're on the 3-17-19 Nieuw Amsterdam sailing, and my itinerary says, "Check In Starts At 0100p." Any idea why so late? We usually arrive around 10:30 or so, but I don't want to get there early just to sit around. We are renting a car, so I need to know what time I REALLY need to turn it in.

We're on the 3-17-19 Nieuw Amsterdam sailing, and my itinerary says, "Check In Starts At 0100p." Any idea why so late? We usually arrive around 10:30 or so, but I don't want to get there early just to sit around. We are renting a car, so I need to know what time I REALLY need to turn it in.

I would contact Ship Services on Monday and confirm that boarding time. 17 MAR 19 is the conclusion of her (Nieuw A'dam's) 14-day westbound Panama Canal voyage so that should not be a reason to delay boarding from the usual 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM

That is what I was hoping. Will do re calling ship services, but is that a HAL number or the port? The only "ship services" I could find for HAL was for gift orders and dining inquiries. Is that the right one? If not, please share if you know it. Thanks.

Thanks everybody. I know that San Diego is quirky for disembarkation and thought it might be that way for embarkation as well--possibly even the reason for it. Glad to hear that I will probably be able to enjoy that time on board. Thanks again.

As I recall, all of our 20 plus HAL cruises have quoted a 1 PM boarding time, but 90% of the time we were able to board around 11:30 am.

We just received an email from HAL for our upcoming cruise and, for the first time, it says 1:00 PM. The main deck is listed for a 2:30 PM checkin... This is a first for us and will probably still plan on 11:00 AM.

Does it say anything about 4 or 5 Star Mariners being able to board whenever they want?

Where are folks seeing this note about boarding time besides via email or on boarding passes?

OP mentions a March 2019 sailing, so boarding passes wouldn't be available yet. OP also mentions that it is noted on their itinerary, but I see nothing about a specific boarding time on our itinerary for a Dec 2018 Eurodam sailing out of San Diego.

Thanks!

We just received an email from HAL for our upcoming cruise and, for the first time, it says 1:00 PM. The main deck is listed for a 2:30 PM checkin... This is a first for us and will probably still plan on 11:00 AM.

Which ship? As commonly mentioned here, Koningsdam has been experimenting with staggered boarding.

Does it say anything about 4 or 5 Star Mariners being able to board whenever they want?

Yes, they said 4-5 stars can board between 12:30 and 3:00...

This is for the 18 day Eurodam from Seattle to Hawaii to Vancouver on 29 Sept...

Crew News answered it well. On our San Diego cruise last fall, documents indicated one PM arrival. We arrived shortly before noon to discover most people had already processed and few seats available. Boarding started at noon. I believe we had next to last boarding group.I doubt that all those others were 4or5 star Mariners or large suite cruisers. One PM seems to be more of a suggested time with no enforcement by HAL.

I got a missed call from HAL today, and then immediately afterwards an email saying Checkin will begin at 1:00PM on my upcoming cruise departing Vancouver. However, the email was written as "Checkin for your cruise no earlier than 1:00PM in San Diego" which is so confusing because we don't board in San Diego.

It actually is not. We live in San Diego and so we request last off in SD as we are in absolutely no hurry. Even then they kick us off by 9:30am.

igraf

Thanks everybody. I know that San Diego is quirky for disembarkation and thought it might be that way for embarkation as well--possibly even the reason for it. Glad to hear that I will probably be able to enjoy that time on board. Thanks again.

There could easily be over 1500 non-US passengers on this cruise. In such a case, disembarkation may be delayed due to CBP, San Diego is the first US port at the end of the voyage.

David

Yes, this is what I am talking about. It did not go smoothly on a recent HAL arrival in Boston, and there were far fewer than 1500. However, I now believe that the 1:00 pm suggestion is HAL's standard line and not something tailored to this situation. Still not sure what time to arrive. It was no more expensive to keep the rental car until 1:00 vs 10:30, so I will probably just play it by ear depending on what my priorities are that morning.