Cruise suggestion I haven’t seen recently

I know a lot of hints are often repeated, but I haven’t seen this one recently.

I would recommend taking a small zipper bag (ladies I know we all have these “gift with purchase “ cosmetic size bags.). Put your jjewelry, passports etc in the bag, then bag in the safe. I see so many unfortunate stories about rings, earrings, etc being left in the safe. Those safes are DARK and hard to look into for short people like myself. It is so easy for something to get pushed to back (someone even mentioned a ring went “under” the felt bottom.)

I have also just taken a large zip lock bag-same thing, easy in and out.

Happy cruising!

I would recommend taking a small zipper bag (ladies I know we all have these “gift with purchase “ cosmetic size bags.). Put your jjewelry, passports etc in the bag, then bag in the safe. I see so many unfortunate stories about rings, earrings, etc being left in the safe. Those safes are DARK and hard to look into for short people like myself. It is so easy for something to get pushed to back (someone even mentioned a ring went “under” the felt bottom.)

Happy cruising!

My wife has a stash of those gift with purchase cosmetic bags. We have been doing as you suggested for years. In addition we also use them to keep electronic chargers and other accessories together

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a jewelry organizer bag (Vera Bradley) where all my jewelry goes and that goes in the safe. I pull out what I need and put in what I'm not wearing. Passport, wallets, cell phones, cash, all go in the safe with it but not in a bag of any kind. In 25 cruises, we have never left anything behind, either in the room or safe.

I used to take a plastic container used for beads, etc from Michaels', but my bag works better and doesn't pop open.

Love this. I've been thinking about something similar because of cruise videos I have been watching. I've had things slip under the felt before and luckily haven't forgotten anything but this sounds like a great idea. I currently use this type bag for chargers and cords. I'm thinking this will keep things more organized. I usually unpack everything but if I use bags and just toss those in the drawers this will cut down on the packing and unpacking. We are doing a five night cruise and I hate to waste time unpacking and then packing. We usually do much longer vacations.

I picked up this tip a few years ago when reading a thread here about the fire on Grandeur. The passengers did have to go to muster stations and someone mentioned that they had their passports, wallets and other valuables in a zip lock bag in the safe and it was easy to grab and go quickly. I have done it ever since. We also take a small flashlight with magnet back that goes on the wall next to the bed to quickly light the way if we ever have to leave the cabin with power out.

I picked up this tip a few years ago when reading a thread here about the fire on Grandeur. The passengers did have to go to muster stations and someone mentioned that they had their passports, wallets and other valuables in a zip lock bag in the safe and it was easy to grab and go quickly. I have done it ever since. We also take a small flashlight with magnet back that goes on the wall next to the bed to quickly light the way if we ever have to leave the cabin with power out.

Great ideas!

Happy cruising!

Good idea!

I alway bring ziplock baggies (gallon and quart size). While packing, great for putting in containers that contain fluids (suntan lotion, hairspray etc). Gives extra piece of mind in case the actual container breaks. Then during the cruise can put in things that you want to keep dry or sand free.

I also bring 13 gallon garbage bags (kitchen). During the cruise I put our dirty clothes in them. We usually have some clothes that we didn't wear during the cruise. On the last day they go into the suitcase first then I throw in bags of dirty clothes. Makes packing on the last day easier, and when I get home I know which clothes that absolutely needs washing.

I’ve been doing this for a long time, and it is a great way to make sure nothing gets left behind! I have a monthly Ipsy subscription (makeup junkie here and makeup artist in addition to being a teacher!), and they always send the items in a small cosmetic bag with zipper. They are great for bringing tiny items like jewelry on vacation.

We travel with pop up clothes hampers that we set in the closet and fill with dirty clothes throughout the week. At the end of a trip, DH places the full hamper into a suitcase and zips it shut. Once home it’s easy-peasy laundry. The ones we are using right now were found at a Dollar Store. They fold into a disc shape when not in use.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a travel size jewelry case too. It fits my must have meds in too, for plane travel. But having it in a ziplock in case of emergency evacuation is a smart idea. I typically bring several of the jumbo size ziplocks on vacation, they are handy for a lot of things, usually wet swimsuits on the last day!

We also use those little zip bags/purses for keeping all our different currency in the safe. We may have 5 or 6 different currencies on some of the cruises we do. Each in a envelope or small plastic ziplock then into the zip purse. We have a set of them with about 6 different sizes.

I ALWAYS carry ziplock bags.

Use the to keep things dry of possibly wet activities. To store left over food for the fridge. To collect change. To put leakable things into.

For stuff in the safe, the other usable item is, if you ever fly Business Class, they give you a nice little pouch with stuff. Makes a nice way to keep meds or money or jewelry.

great idea on the make-up bag for the small items in the safe....I love that!

Bring all travel sizes and sample sizes of product (easier to toss the empties than repack) or fill mini travel bottles with your favorites from home, including travel-size hair gel, hair spray, etc. (I just remove all these from my gym bag, as I have mini's of everything I use)

I bring my make-up in a rectangular "lock&lock" storage container - easy to find everything without rummaging through a bag.

Weighted eye pillow and ear plugs (you never know if sound or light will intrude)

Plastic clothespins and laundromat-sized product in case you need to rinse something in your sink (this is great if you have a balcony and can clip wet swimsuits or rinsed clothing to the deck chairs)

My friend says always save your oldest underwear - and throw it out after you wear it. However, remember what your mother said about wearing bad underwear, "If you are in an accident and they have to cut off your clothes, you will be mortified" (LOL!) I have not personally done this, but it's worth a share.

Scented cardboard hanging type air freshener (no, not the review mirror pine tree or the new leather smell), but a nice beachy smell, like Yankee Candle Pink Sands - something else you can throw away or use as a suitcase freshener at the end of the trip.

You already know to bring all that sunscreen - but don't forget your SPF lip protection!

Take lots of $1 and $5 bills for those extra tips to hand out as needed - they really come in handy. (my son had the deluxe drink package, which includes gratuity - he took one hundred $1 bills and came home with none, but he never had to wait for his next drink).

AIRPLANE TRAVEL TIPS:

On another topic, if you are flying..... I am neurotic about the amount of germs on a plane. I have a zippered make-up bag that I call my flu-free-flying bag, which I always keep packed and ready to add to my carry-on bag, and here's what it contains and why:

1. cleaning/antibacterial wipes - before take-off, wipe down your head rest, your tray table, the arm rests, and the back of the seat in front of you. (you can get a pack of 10 of these individually wrapped at the dollar store for, um, a dollar)

2. hand sanitizer - use it frequently during your flight - share it with your neighbors.

3. saline spray - use it about every half hour during your flight - keeps nasal passages moist - when they dry out during flying, you are susceptible to all the germs in the plane's cabin. This is $1.99 at CVS and worth doing. (maybe don't share with your neighbors)

4. something I always have "just in case" but have never used - nose/mouth masks (the loop over the ear kind - you want to have this just in case you get the seat-mate or someone near by who is obviously sick. Don't worry how it looks....stay healthy if this situation arises!

Airplane Sanity:

earplugs - I only had one pair with me the time we had to listen to a toddler behind me have a 2-hour temper tantrum, but there were two of us. I wanted to be a nice wife, but since I'm the crazy woman that packs all this stuff, I kind of felt entitled to be the one to use them. Guilty, but entitled. I now have two sets with us at all times. Sharing is caring.