Purchasing wine bottles at a port of call

skrapngal

I buy wine frequently on my European cruises. Sometimes I have been able to keep the bottles. On other occasions, I have had to hand them in and collect them on the last day.

Either way there isn't a problem with buying wine at ports.

I've had the same varied experience. I've had a wine bottle held one of three times bringing it back on. It re-appeared in my stateroom the last night.

My experience with beer has been quite different. I've never had it taken away (anywhere from 3-6 beers) from on shore. I've even walked on board drinking a Dos Equis with no complaints.

It's a pain for security to document what they take with the volume of passengers embarking. That may explain their tolerance for small amounts.

On our Med cruise this summer we bought bottles onboard from several ports and some they took and some they didn't. At Barcelona they were very vigilant but at Lisbon we didn't even see the table - but then again we were back on board very early so perhaps they hadn't had time to set it up yet. We weren't trying to sneak it onboard - there just wasn't anyone there to take it off us We didn't drink it as we had the drinks package so it didn't make any difference to us - we just put it in our suitcase under the bed ready to take home.

The only times I have had 100% success keeping wine purchased in port were when the ship was overnight in port.

When you return to the ship very late at night, the staff just don’t care.

:halo:

We had a similar experience when the ship overnighted in San Francisco. We weren't that late, maybe 9pm, but no table was set up to take wine or anything else for that matter.